Former CIA station chief detained, convicted for kidnapping Egyptian Muslim cleric

Rockhead

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:35 pm
@oralloy,
you forgot the fact that you are allowed to take home military machinery because of the militia fantasy.
vikorr

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:36 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
There is nothing illegal about capturing enemy fighters

In a warzone that would be correct.

In another country, that is incorrect, as Italian Judges have ruled, according to their laws.
Quote:
and transporting them to a detention site.

If the detention site didn't include torture, this would also be correct, but torture is against both american law, and the Geneva Convention, and international law.

Most laws have the 'enablers' as being as much responsible as the torturer, so transporting a person to be tortured is 'enabling' and therefore an offense.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:37 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
In answer to the actual intent of your statement - Yes, it does appear to me that you have a medical condition. Is that Libel? Or Fact? Or Factual inference? Or Likely probability? Or diagnosis? Or similar comparison to previous experience?

Libel. You are just trying to avoid addressing the facts I posted.

It is pretty outrageous behavior on your part, too.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:43 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
you forgot the fact that you are allowed to take home military machinery because of the militia fantasy.

The concept of militia is not a fantasy. It has been part of our legal system for many centuries.

It is indeed a fact that militiamen would have the right to keep their weapons at home, but that is not really germane to this thread.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:03 pm
@oralloy,
Actually, I was just correcting myself. What you make of it I don't particularly care.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:07 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
In a warzone that would be correct.

Yay! We're back to discussing facts!

vikorr wrote:
In another country, that is incorrect, as Italian Judges have ruled, according to their laws.

The judges were not ruling according to their laws. Italian law does not try to supersede international law and say that enemy fighters cannot be captured on Italian soil. If Italian law ever did attempt that, it would mean Italy had withdrawn from most of their international treaties (including the Geneva Accords).

It is possible that Italy could try to be a neutral party and not allow military action on their soil. But as it happens, we were there with the permission of the Italian government, conducting a joint operation in which Italian agents were equal participants.

vikorr wrote:
If the detention site didn't include torture, this would also be correct, but torture is against both american law, and the Geneva Convention, and international law.
Most laws have the 'enablers' as being as much responsible as the torturer, so transporting a person to be tortured is 'enabling' and therefore an offense.

OK that I can agree with. But I'm not about to accept foreign jurisdiction over American torturers until I start seeing foreign interest in justice for tortured Americans.

American soldiers have been tortured in WWII/Korea/Vietnam/Iraq91 and probably more I can't think of. When I see some level of interest in providing justice for those victims, I'll revise my opinion on letting Americans be brought to justice for the same crimes.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:10 pm
@oralloy,
No facts in that post either, Oralboy.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:15 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Actually, I was just correcting myself.

Were you not correcting what was originally a reply to me? By substituting in a corrected version, it remains a reply to me does it not?

vikorr wrote:
What you make of it I don't particularly care.

You should strive to address facts (like your most recent post did) instead of dodging them via innuendo. It makes for a much better conversation, and is more honorable overall.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:21 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
No facts in that post either, Oralboy.

Wrong.

FACT: Italian law does not try to supersede international law and say that enemy fighters cannot be captured on Italian soil.

FACT: If Italian law ever did attempt that, it would mean Italy had withdrawn from most of their international treaties (including the Geneva Accords).

FACT: we were there with the permission of the Italian government, conducting a joint operation in which Italian agents were equal participants.

FACT: American soldiers have been tortured in WWII/Korea/Vietnam/Iraq91

You'd really be much more pleasant without the name-calling.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:14 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The judges were not ruling according to their laws. Italian law does not try to supersede international law and say that enemy fighters cannot be captured on Italian soil. If Italian law ever did attempt that, it would mean Italy had withdrawn from most of their international treaties (including the Geneva Accords).

Not even a pre-teen girl or boy would ever advance anything that stupid, Oralboy.

By your "logic" there are hundreds of countries that would have the right to come into the US and take away all the terrorists, the "enemy fighters", the war criminals that have acted viciously and illegally in their countries around the world.

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:35 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Not even a pre-teen girl or boy would ever advance anything that stupid, Oralboy.

Nothing stupid about pointing out reality.

And you'd be a lot more pleasant without the name-calling.

JTT wrote:
By your "logic" there are hundreds of countries that would have the right to come into the US and take away all the terrorists, the "enemy fighters", the war criminals that have acted viciously and illegally in their countries around the world.

No. My logic gives the US military the right to slaughter all who even try.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:38 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
My logic

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 01:49 am
@vikorr,
One can only play Doctor Doolittle for so long. I'm amazed you've got the patience to keep it up thus far.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 02:19 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

are you ******* 12 years old?

I'd bet money on it...

I'd bet money on him still being a virgin. It would explain a lot, his general misanthropy, no sense of humour, obsession with sexual violence and killing babies, his need for guns, hysterical responses to reasonable questions, and his inability to face facts.
0 Replies