Former CIA station chief detained, convicted for kidnapping Egyptian Muslim cleric

oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 10:21 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
So what? You can still learn a lesson or two, can't you?

If you provoke us into eradicating you and conquering the survivors, the lesson might not be the one you hope for.
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 10:27 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
A fourth rank nation having a warrant out against a former CIA chief and having him seized by a fifth rank nation is not something we should put up with.

Italy is getting pretty tiresome, IMO.

I may be out ahead of US opinion on this one, but I think it's time to have the Pentagon start drawing up plans for a military solution.

Maybe we could start by DroneStriking their judiciary. If we kill all their judges, that might just solve the problem without needing a full-scale war.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 12:05 pm
@BillRM,
Foreign powers also learned to slaughter Roman legions occasionally, and ended up sacking Rome more than once, so be careful....

The US wants to keep its CIA and military bases around the world, like in Italy. They will exert discrete pressure on Panama to not extradite Lady, perhaps, but they will not send a legion. Or all nations will start sending those CIA operatives back to Texas or Alabama or whatever god-forsaken, bible-thumping outback they came from.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 12:11 pm
@oralloy,
you have no idea how thankful I am that you are just an internet squirrel warrior, and not associated in any way with our military...
Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 12:19 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
the country of Italy has a screwed up justice system, not claiming their not right this time.

Oh yeah? Did they let OJ Simpson walk free after he butchered his wife? Did they encourage Zimmerman or another vigilante to kill another black kid in 6 month time?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 01:40 pm
@Olivier5,
It's good to see the rule of law being applied, something which everybody should applaud. Unless you're some slobbering, inbred fascist who fantasises about harming children.

I never would have thought that last sentence could have such a catch-all ring to it, then I came across this thread.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
you have no idea how thankful I am that you are just an internet squirrel warrior, and not associated in any way with our military...

I doubt you can articulate any real reason why it would be bad for me to be associated with the military.

I presume that you are upset over the notion that the US might not be willing to put up with abuse from third-world hellholes?

If you want to suffer such abuse, go volunteer to let the freaks abuse you personally. But don't expect the US to put up with much more of it.
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:09 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Oh yeah? Did they let OJ Simpson walk free after he butchered his wife?

Well look, it is always best to err on the side of freeing the guilty. As a sociopath, you will not be able to understand why I say this, but take my word for it.

Plus, with all the times the the police fabricated evidence against innocent African Americans, it is pretty easy to see how the jury found reasonable doubt in the allegation that OJ was framed.

Olivier5 wrote:
Did they encourage Zimmerman or another vigilante to kill another black kid in 6 month time?

What sort of nonsense malarkey is this?

There is no basis for suggesting that Zimmerman is in any way a vigilante. And no one has encouraged anyone to kill anyone.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 02:23 pm
@oralloy,
I think murdering the Italian judges and declaring war on Italy is outside of any mainstream thought process.

you sir are a loon.

good day...
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 04:04 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
I think murdering the Italian judges and declaring war on Italy is outside of any mainstream thought process.

I said nothing of murder.

And I did say I was out in front of public opinion a bit. (The public will catch up soon enough.)

In any case, as I suspected, you could not articulate any real reason why it would be bad for me to be associated with the military.

Rockhead wrote:
you sir are a loon.

Not really. I just don't share your desire that third-world hellholes commit atrocities and abuses against innocent Americans.

Like I said, go volunteer to let them abuse you if you want, but don't expect America to put up with much more of it.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 04:17 pm
@oralloy,
Let me know when you start this. I'll be right behind you with a bayonet stuck up your ass.
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 04:23 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Let me know when you start this. I'll be right behind you with a bayonet stuck up your ass.

While it would not come as a surprise that you are violent and unstable, note that I would defend myself from any aggression you might attempt against me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 04:52 pm
@RABEL222,
Tell me Rab, if you were a foreign national, and you read Oralboy's posts, would you be happy about his countrymen living in armed camps a few miles down the road from you? Wouldn't you think that some of them may share his callous disregard for the lives of anyone who wasn't American. Wouldn't you think it would be best all round if such a threat to your wellbeing, and that of your children, be removed?

Would that make you anti American?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:06 pm
End of story...

A former CIA operative detained in Panama this week at the request of Italian authorities over his conviction in the 2003 kidnapping of a Muslim cleric in Milan was released Friday and had boarded a flight to the United States, U.S. officials said.

Robert Seldon Lady’s release from Panama appeared to avert the possibility that he would be extradited to Italy, where he faces a sentence of up to nine years in prison for his role in the CIA capture of a terrorism suspect who was secretly snatched off a street in Milan and transported to Egypt.

Robert Seldon Lady was freed two days after he was detained by Panama authorities, officials said.

Lady, who left Panama on Friday morning, was “either en route or back in the United States,” Marie Harf, State Department deputy spokeswoman, told reporters at a midday briefing.

It was not immediately clear what steps the United States had taken to secure Lady’s release.
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
End of story...

Something still needs to be done about Italy.

DroneStriking most of their judges might just be the answer, especially if we strive to make sure that the collateral damage extends only to the judges' families.
vikorr

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 11:02 pm
@oralloy,
Why don't you write your thoughts on this subject to your local Federal Politician.

That way they can put your name on the terrorist watchlist.
oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:08 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Why don't you write your thoughts on this subject to your local Federal Politician.

I'm not sure it would make much difference.

The nation is moving towards a point where we'll be doing something about Italy, but people need to get there at their own pace.

vikorr wrote:
That way they can put your name on the terrorist watchlist.

Don't be silly. Support for drone airstrikes will not make anyone think I am a terrorist.

Hint: The drones are striking the terrorists.
vikorr

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 01:59 am
@oralloy,
Try defining terrorism, then :

- the judges actions would not trigger any facet of any reasonable definition of terrorism, while;

- (the execution of) your suggestion would trigger just about every facet of any reasonable definition of terrorism.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:35 am
@vikorr,
He needs to be put on the criminally insane watchlist, and sectioned straight away.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:19 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Try defining terrorism, then:

There are a number of components that are required in order for an attack to count as terrorism. The most significant of those required components is the targeting of civilians.

vikorr wrote:
- the judges actions would not trigger any facet of any reasonable definition of terrorism,

True, but the Italian judiciary are a definite and malevolent threat to Americans of all stripes, and that threat must be eliminated.

Doing it by thermobaric DroneStrike is much less damaging than, say, napalm carpetbombing the entire surface of Italy using heavy bombers.

vikorr wrote:
- (the execution of) your suggestion would trigger just about every facet of any reasonable definition of terrorism.

No. It would not trigger the most important facet of all: the requirement that civilians be targeted before something counts as terrorism.