All governments are liars and murderers

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:27 pm
Are there any governments that have never killed anyone, either through direct force, or through supporting other governments in a policy that led to deaths of others?

I don't know if I can think of any. And if that is the case, then why are we all pretending that we're so civilized, and that we want diplomatic answers to our problems? In the end, wars and violence are the only ways that anything has ever been settled between countries in the past. Why doesn't the United States just nuke all countries that we deem threatening, and be done with it? Why pretend that we are so civilized?

Just wondering.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 574 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ConstantlyQuestioning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:32 pm
Quote:
Are there any governments that have never killed anyone, either through direct force, or through supporting other governments in a policy that led to deaths of others?

I would guess no.

Quote:
And if that is the case, then why are we all pretending that we're so civilized, and that we want diplomatic answers to our problems?

Diplomacy is the prefered path, but with some it just doesn't work.

Quote:
Why doesn't the United States just nuke all countries that we deem threatening, and be done with it?

Because we'd be living in a very radioactive world (which might be good if radioactivity gave us superpowers :wink: ).
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:28 pm
Re: All governments are liars and murderers
kickycan wrote:

I don't know if I can think of any. And if that is the case, then why are we all pretending that we're so civilized, and that we want diplomatic answers to our problems? In the end, wars and violence are the only ways that anything has ever been settled between countries in the past. Why doesn't the United States just nuke all countries that we deem threatening, and be done with it? Why pretend that we are so civilized?

Just wondering.

The more powerful you are, the more restraint you need to exercise. Yes, we have in the past, killed a number of people that we opposed and we assisted others in killing our enemies.

The difference is, when you have enough power to blot humanity from the face of the Earth with only 20% of your arsenal, you MUST restrain yourself from using that power in an irresponsible way.

Keep in mind, immediately following 9/11, there was an informal poll taken by a company (still trying to find the ancient link) It revealed 68% (+-)of Americans in the days following 9/11 favored the use of nuclear weapons in retaliation for the Twin Towers against whatever group we could prove responsible.

This kind of kneejerk reaction is what must be avoided when you (As Mavin the Martian would say) "Now I can blow up the Earth."

We have diplomacy to prevent the wort of things coming to pass.

Just my 2 cents.
0 Replies