Cost for solar installation

dalehileman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Well, in this solution you don't need batteries….as long as there's daylight…….
Well that's an interesting approach Tim and I'll keep it in mind. However my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, seems to think it has to go 24 hrs

Quote:
A fish pond doesn't need constant filtering.
I will advise her of this opinion

Quote:
…...but even if I'm wrong by 100 % it still works….720 W is an overkill...
Purely on the basis of consumption at 500% diff, wouldn't we question the judgment of the expert

However I will relay your input to our supplier and see how he responds
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 05:04 pm
@dalehileman,
if you don't keep your fish pond at least optimally filtered, you will have what is known as an ALGAE BLOOM which can quickly remove oxygen from the water during the evenings when the algae no longer photosynthesizes. The result will be that your koi will be doing backstroke and floating very still.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 07:45 am
@timur,
Tim thank you again for the 24-v idea. I ruminated upon it extensively but consensus has it that the system has to run all night--as Farm confirms directly above--requiring quite an extensive bank of batteries

I had reported that we pay 25 cents a kw hour, but checking a recent bill shows its cost more like 31 cents. So at the load of 6 amps the proposed installation will set us back $170 a month or almost $2000 a year. At that rate a 115-v, 2- or 3-kw solar system would pay for itself in just a few years

I couldn't even begin to calculate the potential savings but a quick Googling seems to indicate a substantial sum

http://www.solarcity.com/residential/lower-electricity-costs.aspx

So if you're savvy in this area I wonder if you agree and if so, what size the solar installation might have to be so we break even. Thanks guys for all your help
0 Replies