Seven New Designs Unveiled For New World Trade Center

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:56 pm
After discarding six designs as "uninspired" seven new designs for a reborn World Trade Center was unveiled:

Link to New World Trade Center Designs

If you were the person to pick the "winner", the design that would actually be built, which one would you pick, and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,699 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:08 pm
I am partial to this design. There is a sense of symmetry and strength that I find very appealing.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDbAgsVNOfwVMtHRLjFkI6e5K*p0xU9Wbc0tHeSqc4F66jsi1*b9RrKmbifKQ4QLp6q1Cspt*u6TFnjikZBWR6M6PsdMO0b!1nfYFWQ9ss/wtc.jpg?dc=4675401727074201344
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:11 pm
I voted for the Richard Meier and Partners design. The vertical colums intersected by horizontal walkways are, as I'm sure was intendended, evocative of the photos of the bit of facade standing defiantly though mortally wounded amid the post-collapse debris ... an image I will find always haunting.

timber http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38606000/jpg/_38606695_one_300ap.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:24 pm
This link's pictures are a bit more detailed:
Link to WTC Designs
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:46 pm
Oh, good eye, Timber. I didn't get that until you said so, and now see it clearly.

As a general note, I love to see more visionary stuff on the table, rather than the boring "by committee" things.

I still want Maya Lin to take a shot.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:52 pm
This is my favorite:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38607000/jpg/_38607041_four_300ap.jpg

It's rather like the skeleton of the original towers is still there. I think it makes an appropriate memorial.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:53 pm
sozobe, actually there will be a separate competition to design the actual memorial. This is just for the buildings to be constructed, leaving space for the eventual memorial that is selected. So she still may participate.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:19 pm
I saw these this afternoon and I honestly don't like ANY of them. There was one that reminded me of a picket fence!

I guess I think that the new WTC should look a bit like the old one.

My idea was for four 50-60 story buildings, aligned to the 4 compass points and a memorial plaza in the middle.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 09:47 am
I wasn't too impressed with any but if I had to choose it would be Patterson Littenberg's design. All the others do not seem a good fit with the surrounding architecture. I would prefer something with clean lines.
Would post the picture but haven't the slightest idea how.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 09:49 am
bandylu2 wrote:
sozobe, actually there will be a separate competition to design the actual memorial.

Ah, right.
0 Replies

Hyannis

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 11:16 pm
THINK's SkyPark
I'm in love with THINK's SkyPark proposal.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 12:01 am
Great link, thanks for posting it!

Only in America! We may be down but never out!
0 Replies

Hyannis

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 07:55 am
Misti26 wrote:
Great link, thanks for posting it!

No problem, I'm trying to spread the SkyPark love. I'm annoyed that the media keeps focusing on THINK's Memorial Towers proposal (the skeletal Twin Towers). Not only do I not like that one personally, but I think the SkyPark is wonderful and deserves more attention.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:50 pm
I try to imagine a visitor at the new site ......

I imagine someone standing at the site during each of the four seasons, and at different times of the day, facing in all directions, at elevations from ground to cloud, with eyes open, with eyes closed ……the light and the wind, the heat and the cold, speak to him in a language without words …. and there he stands, up high, in an open space, without walls, and they talk to him, all of them, the souls who lived here and died here, and who now enthusiastically come here to visit and to reconnect ….. and in another space, he sees only the corner of a room, and a desk in that corner, just a desk, set upon a section of floor, just a section, … and there he pauses.

On September 11th, 2002, they visited us all for the first time ….. surely we felt their presence in the visible, blustery, gusts of chilling wind interwoven with the bright light and warmth of the sun …. make no mistake about it, they were there.

Souls can not be confined in cubes and solid spaces nor can they be bound by ceilings and floors. Perhaps our visit with these souls ought to be experienced through our hearts and our senses rather than through our minds.

A structure, then, ought to be the essence of a building but not a building, with open places and spaces, undefined boundaries, dark and cold, warm and light, loud and still, a desk here, a copier there, the sun and the clouds and the wind everywhere.

And, forgive me, but I also feel this should be a place not uniquely American, but uniquely human. Without their even knowing it, September 11th brought us Americans closer to our international brothers and sisters. Insulated and, in most cases, innocently uninformed, we, on that day, became one with the kind of suffering humanity experiences regularly and historically all over the world.

This space is their space, too.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 10:06 pm
I think Peterson Littenburg gives most thought to the memorial feel. The footprints are emphasized by gardens, and this one has more pronounced green space.

As far as beauty, my vote is with bandylu. The two 'skeletons' (we have to think of a better term) show a beauty or angel-type commemoration of the original two towers.

Its hard to really get a sense of what some of them would look like.

These are better choices, IMO, than some of the nutty looking architechtural olympics we saw in the first round of choices.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:11 am
I wish they'd just build exact replicas of the old buildings. The NYC skline will forever feature the twin towers in my mind.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:47 am
Well I like the Sky Park idea but in reality the property is too valuable for open an open space and I agree with CDK I just cannot imagine NYC without the Twin Towers not at all. In fact I did not go up while I was back east because I am not ready yet.
0 Replies

Hyannis

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:47 pm
Everytime I think about the Towers now, I can't imagine them except how I last saw them, on fire. If they were rebuilt I'd never be able to look at them, I would always see them engulfed in smoke and flames.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 02:05 am
angie wrote:
September 11th brought us Americans closer to our international brothers and sisters. Insulated and, in most cases, innocently uninformed, we, on that day, became one with the kind of suffering humanity experiences regularly and historically all over the world.

This space is their space, too.

Very nicely put, angie. I agree completely.

And welcome to A2K.

timber
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:20 pm
The Winner?

http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/2003-02-27T014332Z_01_GALAXY-DC-MDF218873_RTRIDSP_2_NEWS-ATTACK-TRADECENTER-DESIGN-DC.jpg
Quote:
A towering spire that would be among the world's tallest structures was selected on February 26, 2003 to restore New York's skyline where the World Trade Center once stood, an official source familiar with the decision said. The source said New York officials had chosen a design concept plan by renowned German-based architect Daniel Libeskind ahead of the other finalist team of New York architects led by Rafael Vinoly and Frederic Schwartz. The design is seen in this undated file photo. Photo by Reuters

timber
0 Replies