Vocabulary disposition of interest in land

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:37 am
Dear English teachers,
May I ask the meaning of 'disposition of interest in land'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:44 am
We would need more context. If you have read this in a sentence, or, better yet, a paragraph, please supply the context.
Loh Jane

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 07:50 am
@Setanta,
Thanks Setanta.
Some contracts are only enforceable if they are evidenced in writing. This mean that agreement needs not be in writing, there must be some documents which refer to the agreement or some way points to the existence of the agreement. Example includes contracts of guarantee or contracts for sale or disposition of interest in land.
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:15 am
@Loh Jane,

It means the same as "sale", for all practical purposes.

If you dispose of something, you get rid of it.

You sell your land, or your interests in it. (which might be right of access, right of passage over the land in question, a shared ownership, or other interests: right to cut timber, right to graze animals, right to grow crops, mineral rights, etc etc etc)
Loh Jane

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:37 am
@McTag,
Can I say that get rid of the right in land?
McTag

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:50 am
@Loh Jane,

Quote:
Can I say that get rid of the right in land?

There are one or two errors in that, and I don't know exactly what you are asking.

"Dispose of the rights over the (parcel of) land in question" might be what you are after, or a similar phrase.
"Dispose of" is better than "get rid of" in a context such as this, although the meaning is the same. Some formality is indicated.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 08:56 pm
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
Some contracts are only enforceable if they are evidenced in writing. This means that an agreement need[s] not be in writing, but there must be some documents which refer to the agreement or some way that points to the existence of the agreement. Examples include[s] contracts of guarantee or contracts for the sale or disposition of an interest in land.
0 Replies