Pokes ?

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 05:48 pm
I keep getting these strange e-mails from FaceBook, like "Andrew, you have 3 messages and 2 pokes" in the subject box. I'm afraid to even open an e-mail like that, let alone follow up on it. I know perfectly well what a "message" is, but what the hell is a "poke" in this context? I'm not sure I want to find out.

But if you want to tell me what it is, a poke, why, I'll gladly listen.

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 06:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Next time you are on Facebook, go to your preferences and change your notifications so you don't get emails.

Basically, a FB poke is like someone tapping you on the shoulder and doing nothing else. They're saying, "are you awake? I have nothing to say, I'm just bored, entertain me." It gets annoying. I use it as a filter to tell me who to de-friend.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 06:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you for that very lucid explanation, Butrflynet. So, to be poked is, basically, to be annoyed for no good reason?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 06:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Depends on the person doing the poking, I guess. In most cases, it is just annoying and not much else.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 07:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Depends on the circle.

Some people 'poke' simply to say hey. Others seem to get into poke wars - there is a batch of former of A2kers that has daily pokathons. I've heard that some people use pokes as particular msgs to friends. I dunno too much about that.

I don't mind them but tend to delay my return poke to the point that people get bored with poking me.

I don't think I've ever been poked by anyone meaning to be annoying or offensive. They're generally (in my circle) just hey theres.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 07:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Gracie Grace is one of the busiest pokers in my circle.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 07:16 pm
At some point in the near future I think I'll start a new thread here about the various reasons why I try to avoid any prolonged contact with FB. I know there are other people here on A2k who won't even get an account at that accursed site. I have one but I often wonder why. This 'poke' thing is just one more idiocy to cement my opinion in the matter.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 07:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I wouldn't be able to give up FB now - unless a better social networking site pops up that a big whack of my real-life friends will be part of. I wouldn't be able to keep track of a lot of my personal scheduling without it anymore.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 07:29 pm
I do facebook because my family is on there and I don't want to miss the photos and family news. Also, some a2k people are there, such as msolga, reyn and some other erstwhile posters
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 08:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
What are we chopped chick'n ?

Im in love with the easily handle-able anonymity here at A2K. Until Im fully retired and able to ignore voire dire antics of my present and past civil suit opponent attorneys.

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 08:17 pm
@Butrflynet,

this one time -- jespah poked me.
Quote:
I use it as a filter to tell me who to de-friend
i now know what i must do...
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 08:41 pm
@Region Philbis,
To me 'A poke" is clearly defined in Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 08:44 pm
@farmerman,
None of my family posts on a2k. Got to see those grand tykes' pics.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 08:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

To me 'A poke" is clearly defined in Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Right. I'd forgotten the expression since I read the book ages ago. But, yeah, that's what a poke is.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 08:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
My wife and I read "Lonsome...
at about the same time and she picked up the expression as a bit of foreplay. It worked
I used to get aroused at card tricks.

My pants are stirring now, scuse me.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 08:58 pm
@farmerman,
Will that make this a NSFW site? Or does that require a hall monitor?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:02 pm
if you grew up reading Louisa May Alcott or Laura Ingalls Wilder ... this is a poke

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Poke_(PSF).png/300px-Poke_(PSF).png
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:02 pm
@ehBeth,
a hundred years later it's not
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:06 pm
Don't forget Poke Salad Annie.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:07 pm
And pig and a poke.