Any grammatical errors here? If there are, edit them please

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 03:02 am

No such concept as the residence registration for Indians. Any Indian can live wherever they like to around the country as long as the place they choose no one resides. No procedure or payment is required. I've seen a lot of people lived on the Parliament Square (the splendour and high political position of it is like that of China's famous Tiananmen Square) and no administrative staff or police would intervene. There are many clearings in the urban area of New Deli. If someone wants to live there, he/she can have a house build on one of them and live in. The local law rules that if anyone who builds a house on a clearing and has been living there for 30 years or more, he/she can permanently possess the land. Government does not have the power to demolish it. As a result, India does not have any expressways.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 848 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
snj
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 09:13 am
@oristarA,
There is no concept such as residence registration for Indians. Any Indian can live wherever he/she likes to around the country as long as the place he/she chooses no one resides. No procedure or payment is required. I've seen a lot of people living at the Parliament Square (the splendour and high political position of it is like that of China's famous Tiananmen Square) and no administrative staff or police intervenes. There are many clearings in the urban area of New Delhi. If someone wants to live there, he/she can have a house build on one of them and live in it. The local law states that if anyone who builds a house on a clearing and has been living there for 30 years or more, he/she can permanently possess the land. Government does not have the power to demolish it. As a result, India does not have any expressways.

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 10:22 am
@oristarA,
Ori I'd agree Snj is pretty good at this. As far as grammar, however,

…….as long as (in, at) the place he/she chooses no one resides…….no administrative staff (n)or police intervene(s?)…….

Otherwise Ori it's a little wordy and a few further improvements could be made here and there but you had asked only about grammar
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 10:26 am
@snj,
Cool. It is very clear now.
Thank you.

PS. I wonder whether Contrex or JTT would like to point out the use of singular they.
oristarA

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 10:30 am
@snj,
What a coincidence that you are an Indian.
I wonder whether the passsage says is true or not.
McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:19 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
I wonder whether the passsage says is true or not.

I wonder whether WHAT the passsage says is true or not.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:22 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
I wonder whether Contrex or JTT would like to point out the use of singular they.

Maybe they will.

It is fine to use "they" to stand for he/she in that sentence. It can stand for a singular person.
roger

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 07:56 am
@McTag,
Them 'uns?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 06:20 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
PS. I wonder whether Contrex or JTT would like to point out the use of singular they.

That's Frank Apisa's job, Ori, or Roberta's.
0 Replies