A USA Police State 2005

pistoff

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:18 am
Quote:
At least until recently, the Bush administration has successfully used the public's fear of terrorism to advance its agenda. You go so far as to agree with Gen. Tommy Franks' dark prediction that another major terror attack on U.S. citizens will drive the country to suspend the Constitution. Why do you fear that?

As I state in the book, I agree for reasons that probably differ from those of Gen. Franks. The short summary of what is really a thread that runs through the book is that when you have a presidency that has no regard for human life, that develops and implements all (not just national security) policy in secrecy, and is driven by political motives and a radical philosophy, it is impossible not to conclude that they will overreact -- and at the expense of our constitutional safeguards. Bush and Cheney enjoy using power to make and wield swords, not ploughs. They prefer to rule by fear. We've had three years to take the measure of these men. I've done so and reported what I found in a book I never planned to write, but because others were not talking about these issues, I believed they needed to be placed on the table.

Bush and Cheney have exploited terrorism ever since 9/11. Now they are exploiting it to get reelected. Should there be an even more serious threat, they have found that when Americans are frightened they can be governed like sheep, which suits Bush and Cheney perfectly. Rather than taking the terror out of terrorism by educating and informing Americans, they have sought to make terrorism as frightening as possible -- using terrorism to launch a war of aggression that is breeding a new generation of terrorists and getting the Congress to pass the most repressive new laws imaginable and calling it an act of patriotism.

This is the American Dynasty, The Sorrow of Empire...there are plenty of warnings out there now...Bush's "funny" comment about his job would be easier if he were a dictator...combined with his remark to Woodward that he doesn't have to answer to anyone...

This is a sad time to be an American.
John Dean

* If W gets re-selected I am sure even the Conservatives will weep.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Titus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:02 am
"Gen. Tommy Franks' dark prediction that another major terror attack on U.S. citizens will drive the country to suspend the Constitution. Why do you fear that?" pistoff

What Franks said is (and I'm paraphrasing here): "If there's another torrorist attack on US soil, Martial Law will be declared."

Under the USA Patriot Act, this means the Constitution will in fact be suspended and FEMA of all things will be in charge.

It also means the Congress will end sessions, local police and fire will cede control to the military, all elections will be suspended, and bank withdrawls will be terminated.

This is very scary stuff. Yet I am constantly amazed by the number of people who don't have a clue about what powers the USA Patriot Act and USA Patriot II wrestle away from the US Constitution.

Or even more disturbing is the reaction that goes something like, "Well, it seemed to work in Chile and Pakistan, so maybe it will work OK here too."
[/color]
0 Replies