BillW

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote,
Quote:
the state never had a case......

A young man is dead; that's the case.

The Judge ruled they had enough evidence for the trial to continue ..... this makess hawkeye's comment pure bs, as usual.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm personally not all that bothered by that evidence, because there was only a trace in Trayvon's blood, and there's no way to measure intoxication from smoking pot. I don't think the jury is going to spend a lot of time on this when nobody can prove what effect it has. There are too many other issues with more import that needs to be in their deliberations.

A person can smoke as little as once a week, not have smoked for 6 days and still have the level in their body that Trayvon had in his.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:31 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

It might surprise you to learn that people are convicted of murdering drug users quite frequently.

The question isn't whether Trayvon was a good person or a bad person; the question is whether Zimmerman was justified in using deadly force to defend himself.

But, the defense is trying to do this. He is hoping beyond hope that there is at least one anti-pot person in the jury that will use something like this to believe it alone means Trayvon should die. There are people like this you know!

The defense attorneys are trying to hit as many irrelevant one issue events as they can to get a prejudiced decision.

It is unbelieveable to me how this trial has been from the beginning a trial where Trayvon Martin is the one being tried and Zimmerman is the victim.
BillW

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:38 am
I heard a panelist point out yesterday that the prosecution is a unwanting prosecution that was made to try the case. They just aren't in it. This is why they don't try very hard to get things done.

Their prosecution is just enough to get this thing before a jury and get a verdict. They just don't have any "heart" in the case. I pointed all this out in an earlier post that it was something I had noticed about the DA.
cicerone imposter

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:42 am
@BillW,
To some degree I agree with your assessment, but attorneys like all professions have bad and good ones. There are bad judges too like the OJ Simpson case. Lance Ito was incompetent as a judge and deserved the acrimony he received from the public.
BillW

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:54 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

To some degree I agree with your assessment, but attorneys like all professions have bad and good ones. There are bad judges too like the OJ Simpson case. Lance Ito was incompetent as a judge and deserved the acrimony he received from the public.

I think this judge is very good and fair. I also think the judge in the Caylee Anthony case was a little naive and let the defense do some things that just weren't right. They swayed the trial for aquittal. I think the jury was trying to read the judge and were then wrong.
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
even better would be if this jury has the perception that young black men today tend to be violent thugs up to no good

You mean if they held the same racial stereotypes you do--and that Zimmerman does?

That's why the state put Trayvon's mother and brother on the stand. He came from a stable middle class family. His mother is a college grad who has held her job over 20 years, and his brother is a senior in college. And Trayvon was a high school kid, with no criminal record, who was likely headed to college, just like his brother.

And all Trayvon was doing that night was talking on his cell phone as he walked home from the store...
cicerone imposter

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:34 pm
@firefly,
This is the knub of the story, but the defense has done an excellent job to make this part of the story as not that important.

No one has the right to be walking in your parent's neighborhood if there is anybody who suspects you of committing a crime even if there is no evidence.

I still say it can go either way.

revelette

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I took a break from watching the whole thing today, it is getting just too depressing. However, I keep hearing little bits of commentary on how credible the defense's medical expert is blah blah...I don't think Zimmerman is going to get anything, murder in the second degree or manslaughter. I hope I am proved wrong, but it don't look too good for the prosecution or justice for Trayvon Martin. But at least it went to court.
hawkeye10

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:52 pm
@revelette,
martin is just one person, justice for all is much more important which means that florida must follow their laws and not pick out citizens to abuse with their courts. besides, justice for martin is impossible to decide...you dont know what happened so you dont know how much he deserved what he got.
DrewDad

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:59 pm
@BillW,
Yup. Our legal system allows the victim to be put on trial.

I'm no saying it's right... but it's the system we have.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 02:05 pm
@revelette,
So are you saying its only justice if Zimmerman is convicted?
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:16 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I hope I am proved wrong, but it don't look too good for the prosecution or justice for Trayvon Martin. But at least it went to court.

Why? If the prosecution's evidence isn't good enough to overcome a reasonable doubt, why shouldn't Zimmerman be acquitted? The way you're putting it, it sounds as if you've decided before the trial that Zimmerman needs to go to jail, and that any other outcome would be inherently undesirable. Where's the justice in that?
revelette

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:24 pm
@Thomas,
Because the bar so high for the prosecution to prove Zimmerman acted with ill will rather than self defense is the reason I think Zimmerman is going to get acquitted. All the facts in the world don't change the fact that if Zimmerman had taken the advice of the 911 operator, Trayvon Martin would be alive today. So he put all the whole thing in motion. So yes, it is undesirable for Zimmerman to get away with shooting and killing a young barely seventeen old for only going home from the store. The defense hasn't proved Trayvon Martin started the physical fight, but neither has the prosecution which means he will most likely be acquitted. I am not thinking about the justice system, but only what is justice for Trayvon Martin.
BillW

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:30 pm
@revelette,
There is still 3-5 levels of manslaughter convictions that do not have the high bar of murder2. It is unlikely that Zimmerman will skip all of these unless the Jury wishes to punish the prosecution for some reason.
cicerone imposter

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:33 pm
@BillW,
It's not over till it's over. Mr. Green Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes 2 Cents Laughing Shocked
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:34 pm
@BillW,
In my view, murder2 is still an acceptable outcoming from what I have been witnessing. In the end - Zimmerman knew he was within a minute or two til the police were to be there and after shooting he slowly walked around contemplating what he would and should say. Some of these things he would say slowly progressed and changed self servingly over the next 4 tellings and one writing.
hawkeye10

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:47 pm
@BillW,
he knew that if he did not take some responsibility that nothing would happen because the police would be too late...again. the response time here was 8 minutes, which ain't great.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
... justice for martin is impossible to decide.....

Justice for Martin would be spending the next 10,000 years having to try to beat up white guys and hispanic guys, and the white guys all look like Billy Conn and Max Schmeling, and he hispanic guys all look like Julio Caesar Chavez and Duran....
RABEL222

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:00 pm
@gungasnake,
Did anyone understand this post? If you did please explain it to me because it made no sense to me.