The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 08:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From my viewing of the pundits (with law degrees), the majority are saying Zimmerman is going to walk.

I'm gonna put my hat in the "I don't know" one.
farmerman

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
who has been shown to be either derelict or incompetent for sure, and maybe abusive as well

IS that opinion based upon your years of training qnd experience as a trial attorney ?
hawkeye10

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
who has been shown to be either derelict or incompetent for sure, and maybe abusive as well

IS that opinion based upon your years of training qnd experience as a trial attorney ?

that is my opinion based upon my standing as an American citizen. I am not down with the opinion that only the elites matter.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The judge helped the defense today by allowing the little bit of pot into the evidence. Travon is after all dead and cant refute the evidence. But Georges lawers can get the evidence that he has a temper thrown out because it might influence the jury. Yes, the murdering sob is going to walk. Just as I predicted in the beginning. A black wont get justice any place in the deep south.
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:17 pm
@RABEL222,
I'm personally not all that bothered by that evidence, because there was only a trace in Trayvon's blood, and there's no way to measure intoxication from smoking pot. I don't think the jury is going to spend a lot of time on this when nobody can prove what effect it has. There are too many other issues with more import that needs to be in their deliberations.
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:20 pm
@farmerman,
It's based on his racial bigotry and big mouth that doesn't understand much of anything. When I ask him to prove something about me that he says about me is 'NEVER' answered. Not once.

He's a big mouth with no real clue about bigotry, sexual harassment, or knowledge about most things.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:21 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

The judge helped the defense today by allowing the little bit of pot into the evidence. Travon is after all dead and cant refute the evidence. But Georges lawers can get the evidence that he has a temper thrown out because it might influence the jury. Yes, the murdering sob is going to walk. Just as I predicted in the beginning.

A black wont get justice any place in the deep south.
He got justice from Zimmy
and the rest of us r safer for his efforts. HOORAY!!!

David
OmSigDAVID

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
martin would not have died this day if zimmerman had not gotten out of bed....zimmerman did that, thus zimmerman is criminally liable for the death. this is the type if argument we are getting in the effort to make zimmerman guilt. it is a farce.
Such is the mind of liberalism.
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This is for hawk and David.
This isn't about "liberalism." It's a trial of a young man who was shot and killed.

Your belief that many on this thread are liberals are all in your own mind. You can't prove what you claim. That's a challenge I'm presenting to you.

Talk about who said what, and the evidence presented during this trial, and challenge that.

Don't make wide accusations you can't back up!

Trained attorneys do not agree on what the outcome will be, so you're in no position to say otherwise. Only because you are ignorant and stupid that you believe you are smarter or better informed. You're not!

OmSigDAVID

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:53 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

parados wrote:
If Zimmerman created the circumstances through acts that weren't reasonable then his argument for self defense is weakened under the law.

There really is no reason for hand-waving arguments like this when the jury instructions are right there at your fingertips --- section 3.6(f) (RTF) in this case. Let's take a look:

In its standard jury instructions, the state of Florida wrote:
The use of deadly force is justifiable only if the defendant reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to‭ [‬himself‭] [‬herself‭] ‬while resisting:
  1. ‎another’s attempt to murder‭ [‬him‭] [‬her‭]‬,‭ ‬or
  2. ‎any attempt to commit‭ (‬applicable felony‭) ‬upon‭ [‬him‭] [‬her‭]‬,‭ ‬or
  3. any attempt to commit‭ ‬(applicable felony‭)‬ upon or in any dwelling,‭ ‬residence,‭ ‬or vehicle occupied by‭ [‬him‭] [‬her‭]‬.

Insert and define applicable felony that defendant alleges victim attempted to commit.

The defense claims that Zimmerman reasonably believed that his use of force was necessary to prevent great bodily harm to himself while resisting a beating from Trevon Martin. (So I guess the applicable felony would be assault.) Because self-defense is not an affirmative defense in Florida (look at the table of contents for "3.6: Defenses"), the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt hat Zimmerman couldn't possibly have held such a belief reasonably.

On the other hand, Florida also wrote:
However,‭ ‬the use of deadly force is not justifiable if you find: [. . . ]

2.‭ (‬Defendant‭) ‬initially provoked the use of force against‭ [‬himself‭] [‬herself‭]‬

The prosecution seems to be claiming that Zimmerman provoked the use of force --- either by starting the physical fight in the first place, or by the way he talked to Zimmerman. Again, it's the prosecution that has prove is claim. The defense needn't refute it.

And I don't see how the prosecution can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt. Witness Jentel (sp?) heard Martin ask, "why are you following me?" She also heard Zimmerman ask, "what are you doing here?" Zimmerman's words, however officious and unwarranted, are hardly fighting words; they do not rise to the level of a provocation.

After that, Jentel heard the sound of bodies bumping into each other; then she heard the sound of bodies rolling around in the grass. But she had no way of hearing who attacked whom. So again, the prosecution hasn't proven that Martin didn't start the fight, or that Zimmerman provoked Martin into starting it.

And that's the best evidence that the state presented of what started the fight. It hardly eliminates a reasonable doubt of Zimmerman's guilt.
I think that is a pretty fine
global summary of the whole case.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
This is for hawk and David.
This isn't about "liberalism."
It IS; liberalism is distortion of perception
for the purpose of deception.

David
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 09:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You wrote,
Quote:

Prove it's liberalism?

To give you a 'head start,' here's some REAL deceptions, and they're not "liberalism."
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=GOP+deceptions&qpvt=GOP+deceptions&FORM=VDRE
OmSigDAVID

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote,
DAVID wrote:

Prove it's liberalism?

To give you a 'head start,' here's some REAL deceptions, and they're not "liberalism."
U c, there is an error of grammar.
U shud have said: here ARE some REAL deceptions
or
here IS some REAL deception.

David
hawkeye10

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have yet to see even one legal elite not on the state payroll who is of the opinion that the murder charge was justified by the evidence. we know that there are big problems with this case being where it ended up.
cicerone imposter

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're not answering the question. You're again making an assumption that all government attorneys are liberals. That's a very stupid conclusion, because you can't prove it.

"One legal elite?" Who the **** is that?
OmSigDAVID

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I have yet to see even one legal elite not on the state payroll who is of the opinion that the murder charge was justified by the evidence. we know that there are big problems with this case being where it ended up.
It remains super-obvious that Zimmy
is only being prosecuted because he is not a black.

If this had been a fight between 2 whites, then the governor 'd
not have felt threatened by race riots n he 'd have left Zimmy alone.

If this had been a fight between 2 blacks,
then again, no one wud have cared or noticed, ergo: no prosecution.

David
JTT

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're not answering the question.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 10:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
U c, there is an error of grammar.
U shud have said: here ARE some REAL deceptions
or
here IS some REAL deception.

There's no error of or in grammar there, Om. It's just you, repeating silly old canards, old wives tales, Sig's bullshit, again.

It's perplexing why so many students have been taught so much crap for so many years when all one has to do is look around them and see how language is/has been used.

An American grammarian [Lindley Murray???] wrote: Perhaps grammarians would differ less if they read more.

[possibly not word for word]

Quote:
... is a long standing propensity for there is or there's in every case, even when the following subject is clearly plural ... . Jesperson finds the same construction in Danish, Russian, and Italian, and dates it back to the 15th century. ... . It certainly has been common.

Honey, and milk, and sugar: there is three. -- Shakespeare, Love's Labor's Lost 1595

The MWDoEU page 899-900

This same thing applies to here's/where's/how's.

Anyone with a desire to help Dave out of his ignorance, please feel free to quote this to him, ... or even to CI, who may be hiding in his little hole. Smile

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 8 Jul, 2013 11:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
"the squeaky wheel gets the grease" is how the political system is supposed to work, and the legal system is supposed to be insulated from that so that it can devote itself to justice. I dont know how you can resist crying yourself to sleep at night given what has become of the cause you devoted your life to.....this case is straight politics, it never had anything to do with the law or the seaking of justice.
Thomas

Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Such is the mind of liberalism.

I'm a liberal, too. If I weren't a liberal, I would not take such a hard line on the presumption of innocence. I would not feel so strongly that the jury needs to acquit Zimmerman, given the prosecution's poor evidence. May I suggest that you hang out with real-life liberals more often, broaden your perspective a little?