The State of Florida vs George Zimmerman: The Trial

OmSigDAVID

Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:47 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful
against modern-day bombers and tanks

I do not know an expert sniper with a high power rifle could make people on an airbase very unhappy or truck drivers moving armor on the highway systems just to start with.
The idea promulgated by Madison in support of ratification
of the US Constitution, in the Federalist Papers,
was that the private militia were EVERYONE except for the regular army and politicians.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:51 pm
@Advocate,
Baldimo wrote:

Stinger missiles only fire when they have a lock on a heat source such as an engine. I'm guessing if he was in your vicinity and happened to point the weapon in your direction, it could get a lock on all the hot air that comes out of your mouth. Wink

Have I ever mentioned how funny it is to hear people, who are anti-gun, talk about guns or weapons? It reminds me of the following saying:
Quote:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Advocate wrote:

I get a kick out of people like you who get arrested
on some gun law and have their lives ruined.
That is the sadistic product of a sick mind.
U shud be ashamed.
Advocate

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 06:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I didn't like the way Baldimo was denigrating someone who favored gun control. B's statements were very nasty.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 07:07 pm
@Advocate,
Sorry Advocate, I've never been arrested. I know how to properly act in society.

You have to admit though that comment was funny. I put a wink after it. Laughing
Advocate

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 01:20 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Sorry Advocate, I've never been arrested. I know how to properly act in society.

You have to admit though that comment was funny. I put a wink after it. Laughing

Excuse me, but I wrote the book (for Dummies) on what is, and what is not, funny. After some study, I deemed your comment to be unfunny.
Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 01:32 pm
Quote:
Baldimo said: ..I've never been arrested. I know how to properly act in society

I know that was just a joky comment mate, but look at it another way, being arrested can be a feather in somebody's cap and give them bragging rights for the rest of their lives, depending on the "crime" of course.
For example for months I regularly tipped off the Brit cops about the black drug dealing at a nearby house in 2001 but they took no action at all.
Then the dealers complained to the police that I was "harassing" them by watching them through my binocs and noting customers car numbers etc, so the coppers swung smoothly into action and arrested ME and I got 3 months in here on a vigilante rap and have been bragging about it ever since, I mean who else can boast they've been incarcerated in a castle..Smile-

Leicester prison, England
"The raven himself is hoarse that croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan beneath my battlements"- Macbeth
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/slammer.jpg
Baldimo

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:19 pm
@Advocate,
I thought that book was written by the likes of Dr. Sheldon Cooper or maybe Mr. Data from TNG? Now those guys know funny!
0 Replies

Advocate

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:21 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Remember the saying: no good deed goes unpunished.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 05:08 pm
Quote:
Advocate said: Remember the saying: no good deed goes unpunished.

Yes, my biggest mistake was in trusting the Leicester police to shut down the dealers.
As it turned out, they must have been afraid to tackle them because they were black in case it started a race riot, or else they were on the dealers payroll and were being paid to turn a blind eye.
Even when I told them kids from the school across the road were visiting the drug house in their lunch hour, they took no action.
With hindsight I see I should have gone over the coppers heads to the newspapers and Police Complaints Commission, and I should also have filmed the constant procession of customers calling at the house as evidence.
After I was released from jail in 2002 I was jobless, homeless, near-penniless, so I packed my rucksack and moved to Plymouth where i had relatives. Presumably the dealers are still in business back in Leicester..
OmSigDAVID

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 10:28 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Advocate said: Remember the saying: no good deed goes unpunished.

Yes, my biggest mistake was in trusting the Leicester police to shut down the dealers.
As it turned out, they must have been afraid to tackle them because they were black in case it started a race riot, or else they were on the dealers payroll and were being paid to turn a blind eye.
Even when I told them kids from the school across the road were visiting the drug house in their lunch hour, they took no action.
With hindsight I see I should have gone over the coppers heads to the newspapers and Police Complaints Commission, and I should also have filmed the constant procession of customers calling at the house as evidence.
After I was released from jail in 2002 I was jobless, homeless, near-penniless, so I packed my rucksack and moved to Plymouth where i had relatives. Presumably the dealers are still in business back in Leicester..
From your description of your experience
it appears that u r in a very un-free country.
In those circumstances, is there any reason
to cheer the Flag when it goes by??

Did thay tell u what u did rong?
Was it staring at the black drug dealers ?
Anything else? Did u enjoy your stay in that castle ?

Do u have in mind spending any more time there?
It does look good from the outside.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 2 Mar, 2014 08:10 pm
Quote:
OmSigDavid said (re Romeos vigilante rap): From your description of your experience
it appears that u r in a very un-free country.
In those circumstances, is there any reason
to cheer the Flag when it goes by??
Did thay tell u what u did rong?
Was it staring at the black drug dealers ?
Anything else? Did u enjoy your stay in that castle ?
Do u have in mind spending any more time there?
It does look good from the outside

It was in 2001/2 and serves as a useful window for historians to see what it was like to live in a Brit inner-city (Leicester) at that time-
There had just been black riots in other English cities,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_England_riots
hence the Leicester coppers gutlessness in being afraid to close down the black dealers in case it triggered a race riot. So they closed ME down instead to shut me up, getting me sentenced to 3 months by the equally gutless Leicester magistrates.

After being released from jail, Leicester's gutless lefty Labour council got in on the act and evicted me from my flat (from where i'd been monitoring the dealers) on the strength of my "anti-social" sentence.

Needless to say, I've plastered the full sensational story all over the net to humiliate the coppers, and no doubt many people have been so disgusted that they've decided to vote for the far right parties from now on..Smile

PS- The court proceedings were a fiasco; first the dealers head man "Big Machete" Bernie never turned up to give evidence against me (he'd probably decided not to press charges) so the coppers sent a car to sweet-talk him into coming and gave him a lift to court (you couldn't make it up!)
Then when he got in the witness box he forgot that it was ME on trial and he started defending HIMSELF by rambling on with- "I'm not a Rasta no more, I is a good christian, i got a wife and kids.." and his solicitor had to stop him and remind him that it wasn't him on trial!
It turned out he'd had convictions in the past, so when he found himself in this witness box he automatically launched into self-defence mode by force of habit..Smile

As for jail, it wasn't so bad, I lay on my bunk most of the day reading books from the prison library, and was so engrossed in 'Geronimo, Apache Warrior' that I forgot when my release day arrived, and a screw had to come knocking my cell door to remind me with "Why haven't you got your things together? Don't you want to leave us?"
Drat, so i never did get to know how the book ended!
BillRM

Sun 2 Mar, 2014 08:39 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
hence the Leicester coppers gutlessness in being afraid to close down the black dealers in case it triggered a race riot

If something happen similar in the US I would be assuming that the cops was being in the paid of the drug dealers.

In any case, with your very outspoken press why did you not go to them?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 2 Mar, 2014 09:00 pm
Quote:
BillRM said: In any case, with your very outspoken press why did you not go to them?

I did but they wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I phoned up the Leicester Mercury's newsdesk and outlined my story, they said "Er...thanks...er...leave it with us will you, thank you", but they never printed a sausage and i never heard from them again!
I half-expected to be fobbed off anyway because they'd always been a gutless politically-correct lefty rag.
Hey I almost forgot- I was shot in the calf while walking home after dark one evening, 3 shots rang out of the shadows across the street, 2 whizzed past my head and smacked into the wall of a house, and the third hit me in the leg. I carried on walking (how kool is that) and phoned the coppers but the gunman had long gone when they arrived. I had no proper hole in my leg, just a bloody crater where the 'bullet' had bounced out. The coppers found a half-inch silver ball bearing in the gutter, maybe the gunman used it for ammo in a home-made low-velocity gun.
I mentioned the shooting to the Leicester Mercury, but like I said they weren't interested.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sun 2 Mar, 2014 09:26 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Were u satisfied with the quality of the library ?
Romeo Fabulini

Sun 2 Mar, 2014 11:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes the library was okay with a good choice of books but what I really missed were daily newspapers, there were only a very limited supply and they were always out being randomly passed from cell to cell and I hardly ever saw one, so there was this sense of being cut off from the outside world.
To make it worse we never had a TV or radio in the cell. I could have arranged for contacts on the outside to bring one in, but I decided to tough it out and go without, seeing as it was just a short 3-month sentence, the sort we cons say we can do "standing on our heads".
Also to add to the sense of worldly isolation was the fact that there was no watch or clock in the cell, and the only way to guess the time was whether it was day or night and the position of the sun and moon.
I took a watch into prison with me but it was confiscated at reception on day one, they looked at it and said something like "Sorry, we don't allow ones with alarm chimes into the prison". I never asked why not and have wondered ever since. Presumably a non-chimer would have been allowed.

So the experience of being isolated from The World was an interesting one and I can now empathise with prisoners who were locked up in the same conditions, for example I'm currently reading Karl Steiner's "7000 Days in Siberia" about his years in a gulag and think "bin there, dun that"!
BillRM

Wed 14 May, 2014 03:39 pm
Quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/05/01/nbc-seeks-dismissal-of-zimmerman-suit-over-911-tape-edits/

Lawyers for NBC News in March urged a Florida circuit court to dismiss the defamation suit filed in December 2012 by George Zimmerman, who was acquitted last July of second-degree murder in the Trayvon Martin case. The suit centers on NBC News broadcasts that misportrayed a 911 call placed by Zimmerman on Feb. 26, 2012, as the neighborhood watchman pursued Martin through a Sanford, Fla., subdivision. Edits to the tape made it sound as if Zimmerman had volunteered a comment that Martin is black, when in fact the dispatcher had asked him whether Zimmerman was “white, black or Hispanic?” Another contention in the complaint was that NBC News had knowingly reported the false claim that Zimmerman had uttered a “racial epithet” in the 911 call.
The case was stayed for about a year in deference to Zimmerman’s criminal trial, but motions are now flying back and forth between the parties.
Here’s a rundown of the argument from NBC Universal LLC as to why Zimmerman has no “viable” defamation claim:
* He’s a public figure: The way NBC tells it, Zimmerman was both a “limited purpose” public figure and an “involuntary” public figure when the NBC broadcasts at issue occurred. This contention is a critical point in the litigation, because defamation law gives news organizations significant protections when covering public figures. Most commonly, those protections apply to stories of full-fledged public figures like celebrities and politicians — any complaints from such folks who hold themselves out for public scrutiny must prove that the offending news organization acted with what’s known in legal circles as “actual malice”: That is, knowledge that the allegations were false or a reckless disregard in the matter.
Media law has carved out subcategories of “public figure,” and it’s here that NBC’s motion for dismissal pounces. A “limited purpose” public figure is someone whose profile rises in a public controversy. From the motion: “In this case, Zimmerman became a limited purpose public figure because he played a prominent role in several overlapping public controversies surrounding the issues of race relations, public safety, and the death of Trayvon Martin and the broadcasts he has placed at issue were all germane to his participation in those controversies.”
The first of NBC News’s botched broadcasts hit the air on March 19. By that time, argues NBC’s motion, the Zimmerman-Martin encounter had already earned national attention, a point that the Zimmerman complaint concedes. More from NBC:
Zimmerman became a limited purpose public figure because he both (1) voluntarily injected his views into the long simmering public controversy surrounding race relations and public safety in Sanford and (2) pursued a course of conduct that ultimately led to the death of Trayvon Martin and the specific controversy surrounding it.

The network’s attempt to cast Zimmerman as a limited-purpose public figure — as opposed to an anonymous guy living in some Florida neighborhood — starts “well before” any of the disputed NBC broadcasts. For instance, Zimmerman “spearheaded” opposition to the Sanford Police Department’s “perceived lethargy in investigating the relative of a law enforcement official who was allegedly involved in the beating of a black man” and pushed for the establishment of the neighborhood watch in his area — a leadership role that invites public scrutiny, argues NBC. And, after the shooting, says the NBC motion, Zimmerman’s “representatives took to the airwaves and the Internet on his behalf to disseminate to the public his views concerning whether his actions were racially motivated and otherwise appropriate,” contends the complaint.
And if you don’t buy the network’s argument about Zimmerman fitting the legal definition of limited-purpose public figure, he’s at least an involuntary one: No matter his intentions, Zimmerman became “the central figure (or at least the sole surviving central figure) in what quickly became a national, and indeed international, public controversy, encompassing not only whether Zimmerman killed Martin lawfully but also the broader issues of racial profiling, vigilantism, and ‘stand your ground’ laws,” argues the NBC document.
*He hasn’t stated a claim regarding the broadcasts at issue: NBC’s motion rips through the various broadcasts that Zimmerman cites as defamatory, and dismisses merit to any of the claims. For one broadcast in which Zimmerman was alleged to have uttered a racial epithet — “f___ing coons” — NBC argues that Zimmerman “cannot carry his burden of proving … that the challenged statement is false.” For the broadcasts in which he’s depicted as volunteering racial information, the NBC filing argues that he is “unable to make the requisite showing that omission of the question resulted in a material change in the meaning of what he actually said.”
*He can’t prove harm from NBC’s actions: The argument here is that Zimmerman cannot possibly tease out the NBC broadcasts as the source of any identifiable damages. “The undisputed record evidence reveals a virtual firestorm of negative publicity directed at Zimmerman well before the first broadcast at issue here – including accusations from several quarters that he killed Martin after profiling him because of the color of his skin and demands that he be charged with murder as a result,” reads the NBC document.
In a forceful answer dated April 30, Zimmerman attorneys James Beasley and Henry Didier argue that the tape edits made by NBC News created a false and highly actionable set of news reports: “The plaintiff can show, as a matter of fact, that the defendants created a false recording, by taking the plaintiff’s words out of context and splicing them together in a way which altered their meaning and created the false implication that the plaintiff had targeted and shot Martin because he ‘looks black.’”
As to the question of whether Zimmerman used that terrible epithet in referring to Martin in the 911 call, Zimmerman’s lawyers have this to say: “In this case, such testimony can be provided by the plaintiff, the dispatcher and others, including the investigators who attested in a sworn affidavit filed with the Court in the criminal proceedings against Mr. Zimmerman that he did not use a racial slur, but instead said ‘f________ punks.’ In addition, the audio-recording itself is available,” says the Zimmerman filing.
Rebutting the network’s claims about how Zimmerman is a public figure of some sort, Beasley and Didier insist that NBC cannot argue that Zimmerman was a “public figure for the purposes of the controversy they created.” More on that front: “The plaintiff has alleged there was no pre-existing public controversy over whether he was guilty of racially profiling Trayvon Martin, as proven by his own statements on the audio recording, until the defendants created one.” (Bolds and underline in original).
Furthermore, the plaintiff’s lawyers contend that no matter which way a court may rule on Zimmerman’s public-figure standing, his complaint alleges actual malice by NBC News. “He has alleged that defendants knowingly and deliberately manipulated his own words, by splicing together disparate parts of the recording of his 911 call, to create the illusion that plaintiff targeted Martin because Martin looked Black and that his death was the result of a heinous act of racial profiling,” argues the filing.
And don’t go telling the Zimmerman lawyers that their client didn’t suffer harm from these awful broadcasts. Those who heard the reports, argues the filing, were likely to place credence in them, for the following reason: “The public is far more likely to assume the accusations must be true, when they are broadcast by the media. That is particularly so when the falsehood is presented by that media in the most damaging way: as coming out of the accused’s own mouth as self-condemnation,” says the filing.
The Erik Wemple Blog Court rules that the network’s motion to dismiss (or for summary judgment) must be routed to the nearest shredder. Whatever you make of all the legalese that gets tossed around in these filings, NBC’s actions amounted to a journalistic felony that demands a full hearing inthe courts.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 14 May, 2014 04:10 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Yes the library was okay with a good choice of books but what I really missed were daily newspapers, there were only a very limited supply and they were always out being randomly passed from cell to cell and I hardly ever saw one, so there was this sense of being cut off from the outside world.
To make it worse we never had a TV or radio in the cell. I could have arranged for contacts on the outside to bring one in, but I decided to tough it out and go without, seeing as it was just a short 3-month sentence,
the sort we cons say we can do "standing on our heads".
Is there danger of leaving footprints on your face ?

Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Also to add to the sense of worldly isolation was the fact that there was no watch or clock in the cell, and the only way to guess the time was whether it was day or night and the position of the sun and moon.
I took a watch into prison with me but it was confiscated at reception on day one, they looked at it and said something like "Sorry, we don't allow ones with alarm chimes into the prison". I never asked why not and have wondered ever since. Presumably a non-chimer would have been allowed.
I have a lot of clocks around,
tho I have a lot of temporal freedom.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 14 May, 2014 04:40 pm
@BillRM,
I don t believe that NBC 's summary judgment motion
has much of a future.

David
BillRM

Wed 14 May, 2014 04:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
don t believe that NBC 's summary judgment motion
has much of a future.

I am shock that the fools at NBC had not reach a settlement yet.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 18 May, 2014 07:26 pm
This is shocking news...

George Zimmerman's close friend, Frank Taaffee, who was Zimmerman's main spokesperson and advocate, during numerous TV appearances, and who testified for Zimmerman at his trial, now finally admits he believes Zimmerman racially profiled Trayvon Martin, and that he should have been found guilty.

Quote:
May 17, 2014

Tough-talking Frank Taaffe now claims he believes that Trayvon Martin was racially profiled.

Frank Taaffe, the tough-talking friend of George Zimmerman who appeared on multiple TV programs to defend the Florida man’s actions in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, has had an apparent change of heart.

Taaffe, who has a history as a white supremacist as well as a criminal background, told a reporter for Orlando, Fla.’s News 13 that he now believes that Zimmerman “racially profiled” Martin the day he was shot, and that he should have been found guilty by the jury that eventually acquitted him last year.

“What I know of George and his tendencies and also my opinion is that he racially profiled Trayvon Martin that night because if that had been a white kid on a cell phone, walking through our neighborhood, he wouldn’t have stayed on him the way he did and that’s a fact and I believe that in my heart,” Taaffe told reporter John Davis.

For many months, Taaffe said just the opposite, and did so on national television on numerous occasions, depicting Martin as a drug-addled, thuggish teenager and declaring Zimmerman’s innocence. “It’s really sad that he has already been convicted in the public media and has already been sentenced to the gas chamber,” he lamented in an interview with NBC’s Miami affiliate.

Taaffe said he’s now recanting his earlier statements in order to clear his conscience. “I can only ask for the country to forgive me, and today I believe that he racially profiled him based on the color of his skin.”

Davis said that some “may wonder what does Frank Taaffe have to gain by doing this,” before asking if he was was working on a book or TV show. Taaffe said no, “I’m just working on me right now and getting right with God.”

Taaffe told Davis that he was driven to reassess his views after the death of his brother last month, as well as his two sons’ deaths in recent years. He added a message for Trayvon Martin’s parents: “I’m sorry that you lost your son, I know what that’s like and I wish things had been different.”

It was not clear whether Taaffe now has similar regrets over the crudely racist things he uttered on air while campaigning on Zimmerman’s behalf – most notably on the white nationalist podcast “The White Voice.” On that show, he attacked Oprah Winfrey as a “nigger” and said “the only time that a Black life is vindicated is when a White person kills them.”

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/17/white_supremacist_george_zimmerman_defender_flip_flops_says_he_should_have_been_found_guilty_partner/

It's only a shame that Taaffe couldn't tell the truth of what he believed about Zimmerman before, rather than defending him, and needlessly and unfairly trashing the reputation and character of Trayvon Martin to do that. Had he been more honest sooner, the verdict might well have been different.

He does owe the country, and Trayvon Martin's family an apology. Not that it really helps to change anything now.