The Separate And Unequal Amendment

Umbagog

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:35 pm
I read the news today, oh boy. The english army had just won the war.

The idea that Massachusetts, my home state, ( born and bred ) is ultraliberal is absurd. The recent vote to create separate and unequal civil unions is nicely conservative...sure, have your union, but you can't have any of the federal rights a man and a women have. Of the 1,049 rights and laws and other benefits that accompany a marriage certificate at the state and federal levels, I wonder which ones are federal, and how many.

Here in MA we use high falutin' language and call something a constitutional amendment when it's really a Jim Crow law...back in a flash from the past. Only it's worse, because religion is involved here, not just plain old ugly prejudice.

Religious edicts have had some seriously nasty consequences for downtrodden folk around the world and throughout history. We attempt to institutionalize it in the year, 2004, and there is no bigger clue as to what to expect more and worse of in the future.

MA is fine with the union, only, uh oh, they want the same RIGHTS as any other marriage? No way Jonsey, you buggin'. Even though the SC said it was constitutional, and therefore legal to expect the same benefits therein...But no. Instead we get great praise and a mopping of the brow for legislation that will come to nothing, because the 14th Amendment cannot be ignored any more now than it was after the Civil War.

The people are just doing it too. That means the revolution is well under way.

But really folks. Talk about your dustbins for leaders in MA, half the crowd is signing on with Jim Crow Revisited, and with a twist. How long before remarkably different classes become permanent again? Not too long, if MA is any indication.

And Romney. Good Lord, help us from this terror.

Who stands to lose the most if any two Americans, ( all of them ) could be married and get all those juicy state and federal benefits? You want to see the loophole in their logic? Do you want to understand why they just don't get it, or rather, what the real mindset at work is?

It's simple, actually. They preclude federal benefits because of their faulty assumption that two people of the same sex won't want children, because they are deviant, sinful, lustful, and downright selfish and greedy.

No one gay guy wants a kid, but two do. Same for lesbians. This is the insight. The people are so ignorant, abhorrent and fearful of homosexuality, that they cling to stereotypes, even though gay couples act exactly like straight couples do. They can't understand that these people entertain the same healthy and helpful tactics that straight couples do to get by in life. There isn't a dungeon in the basement, well, sometimes there is, but that holds true for the straight world too. Some of them swing mighiily. Most of them don't.

So they assume gay families won't be needing the full range of benefits that straight families have to access. It's downright despicable that they could be so utterly and woefully ignorant awhile standing there all proud of their accomplishment today to set up separate and unequal Mary Crow laws in the Baystate...one of the first states to push for equality under the law.

How far we have fallen.

How will the same sex getting married ruin marriage? IF any two adults can raise children, so long as those adults are bonded, why are some allowed federal benefits but not others? How will two men getting married have a negative impact upon you, your wife, or your kids?

Who really stands to lose here?

The federal government, that's who.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 894 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Titus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:07 pm
Hi Umbagog:

Isn't the governor of Mass. a Bush republican?

There you are..............
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:38 pm
Quote:
A Boston Globe poll last month found that 53 percent of Massachusetts residents oppose gay marriage and 60 percent support civil unions. In addition, 71 percent of respondents said they want voters to be able to define marriage, not the courts or the Legislature.

Quote:
Monday's vote, however, has no immediate impact on the legal state of gay marriages.

Link
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:41 pm
Put the vote to the citizens and let them decide the outcome. Looks like, most of the voters are against gay marriage.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:17 pm
Miller wrote:
Put the vote to the citizens and let them decide the outcome.

You mean, like we put the question of racial civil rights to the voters in the sixties ? I don't think so. We'd still have segregated classrooms and separate drinking fountains.

This is not a "popular vote" issue. The courts need to step up. A primary function of the courts is to protect the right of minorities who (by definition) cannot achieve a majority vote.

Tha MA SJC stepped up, but the legislature has circumvented their ruling, temporarily. It's not over yet.

re: Romney. Oh yeah. Mr. "corporate genius who will bring all those jobs to MA" has does nothing but get himself in a very unattractive lather over gay marriage. Hatred and bigotry so clearly bring out the worst in people like him. I would love to see him get his miserable right-wing butt kicked all the way back to Utah by Joe Kennedy in the next election.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:19 pm
angie wrote:
Miller wrote:
Put the vote to the citizens and let them decide the outcome.

You mean, like we put the question of racial civil rights to the voters in the sixties ? I don't think so. We'd still have segregated classrooms and separate drinking fountains.

This is not a "popular vote" issue. The courts need to step up. A primary function of the courts is to protect the right of minorities who (by definition) cannot achieve a majority vote.

Tha MA SJC stepped up, but the legislature has circumvented their ruling, temporarily. It's not over yet.

re: Romney. Oh yeah. Mr. "corporate genius who will bring all those jobs to MA" has does nothing but get himself in a very unattractive lather over gay marriage. Hatred and bigotry so clearly bring out the worst in people like him. I would love to see him get his miserable right-wing butt kicked all the way back to Utah by Joe Kennedy in the next election.

Joe Kennedy?

Wasn't he the one with the twins?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:20 pm
What has Kerry done to bring jobs to Massachusetts?

Has he ever done anything for the working man?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:30 pm

So, Mr. Miller, you avoided the entire "public vote" aspect of my comment.
Any response there ?

And nice try deflecting my criticism of Romney by asking the same question re Kerry. I have no idea what Kerry has done re jobs for MA (that doesn't mean he hasn't done anything, of course). But Mitt ran on his corporate wonderfullness, his ability to attract new businesses, etc. Have you seen where MA ranks re unemployment and job growth ? Romney is a right-wing fraud. And a bigot.

Do you seriously not know who Joe Kennedy is ?

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
Umbagog, I too am ashamed of my home state.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:19 pm
The SJC did the right thing. The purpose of a constitution is to protect peoples rights, even when the leglislature or the majority are not willing to. Bravo!

It looks like good will win out. Homosexuals will get married starting May 17th. If this goes to a vote to change the constitution, it will be a non issue.

People will see that you can give rights to homosexuals without causing the end or society, the end of churches or the crumbling of marriages. Life will go on. When it comes to a vote, people will yawn rather than writing discrimination into the constitution.

This is a victory for constitutional democracy. I am not ashamed of my state... at least not now.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:29 pm
Titus wrote:
Hi Umbagog:

Isn't the governor of Mass. a Bush republican?

There you are..............

Yeah, there you have it. Rolling Eyes

Except it's a Constitutional Amendment - the Governor has ZERO say in it. The "there you have it" is that the Amendment was passed 3 times by the state legislature. A Legislature that where 85% of the members are Democrats.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:32 pm
Ok, Ebrown - I'll take back my shame, but I'm still disappointed by the masses and by the legislature. The SJC I applaud.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:39 pm
I'll reserve my applause for the MA SJC until they go back and fix their ruling to actually do what they claimed they were doing.

If their claim is that the MA Constitution prohibts the creation if 2nd class citzens then they need to remiove all of the barriers to the benefits marrige begets not just enough of them to make the 2nd class citzen pool smaller.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:20 pm
Yes, we must not discriminate against brother-sister marriages or marriages with multiple partners. To do so would certainly create second class citizens.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:54 am
I agree with unbagog's original post of the start of this thread regarding the separate and unequal rights.

I personally feel that it is only a matter of time before it will be against the law to not allow gays the same rights of straights in all areas. I think that is how it should be, we are not a nation that rules by the Bible or religious morals and there is no other reason to forbid gays to marry. I personally feel that the acts of homosexuality are not in accordance with God's will. However it is not up to me to determine how others believe or act as long as they do not hurt themselves or others and it would be unfair to enforce my beliefs on others.
0 Replies

ConstantlyQuestioning

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:52 am
Here is one issue that I stray from the Republicans on. I just don't care that two men or women who may genuinely love each other may get married.

I wonder who this issue will hurt the most:
the gay community for keeping it in the spotlight
or the GOP for reacting so negatively to it.

I also think that this is not something that should be left up for popular vote. The rights of a minority cannot be at the disposable of the majority. Such a country is not free.

Quote:
Yes, we must not discriminate against brother-sister marriages or marriages with multiple partners. To do so would certainly create second class citizens.

I normally agree with your posts Tarantulus, but not this time. This is a big leap that I've seen many conservatives make. Allowing law abiding adults who happen to have the same gender to get married will not necessarily lead to the perversion that conservatives fear so much.

Conservatives should be free to hold whatever opinion about gays that they'd like, which usually comes from a religious view. However, they should not try to use the force of law to prevent people from excercising their rights based on their religious principles.
0 Replies