REPUBLICANS GRAPPLE WITH GAY MARRIAGE

Titus

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:01 pm
Republican leaders have run into unexpected resistance within their own party to the proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and are regrouping to avoid an embarrassing defeat on a measure that is a top priority for social conservatives and an election issue for President Bush.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/03/28/gop_divided_on_marriage_amendment/

With two-thirds majorities required to pass an amendment in both the House and the Senate, Republicans concede they may have overestimated the momentum in Congress and are considering altering the language or delaying votes to build more support.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 825 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:34 pm
It was an inappropriate concept to start with. I hope that the whole idea dies a quick death, and is later relegated as a footnote in the backburners of history!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:36 pm
Upon reading the title of your thread, my mind's eye conjures a rather nauseating vision of John Ashcroft and a sumo wrestler...

...with a disturbing smile and an erection.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:40 pm
It was an issue to solidify the base with the knowledge it wouldn't see the light of day because it was so lame and repulsive......

It is just one more indicator of Bush's lack of character and leadership.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:49 pm
So he was pandering to the bible bangers. It was a political ploy. Nothing more, nothing less. All politicians come up with doozies to placate a segment of their constituencies. This idea was particularly obnoxious.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:54 pm
pdiddie:

LOL!!!

Maybe Ashcroft's recent hospitalization included a request for 10 inches of straight colon as well as an appendectomy? Razz
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:57 pm
A headline you'll never see:

"Colon Bowel's Movement Forces White House Evacuation"
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:57 pm
"This is a civil rights issue that is moving faster than anyone imagined, and most elected officials are afraid to be on the wrong side of history," he said."

A republican undoubtedly wrote the article linked. It's putting spin on it to dilute what is really going on. But near the end was a precious pearl of truth, which I colored dark blue above.

They are allowing civil unions minus any federal rights or benefits. This Jim Crow law operates on the malicious and ignorant assumption that same sex couples will not raise children...so some kids will be better off than others in America. We'll just leave them behind SOMEWHAT, so that the children of straights will have a better chance than the children of gays.

They call it a constiitutional amendment, but it is a Jim Crow law, or should I say, a Mary Crow law?

If any and all two Americans can get married, the federal government will be forking out way more cash than it is currently. They stand to lose the most, and of course, are willing to fight against our rights and deny us our suffrage because they are more concerned with increasing their powers, not diminishing them.

Gay marriage is by far the single best way to create a smaller, weaker federal government.

Civil rights rushes head long into imperial oppression. It's going to get messy out there before this is all said and done.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 05:58 pm
BillW:

I've seen several polls of late targeting the religious right, and indeed, Bush wasn't doing too well with them.

Playing politics with a group of Americans who already face unfair challenges is pretty low, but no one would ever expect more from George W. Bush.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 06:02 pm
BillW: "so lame and repulsive it would never see the light of day...."

The irony of neocon republicans creating the very civil rights movement that must be horrifying them now. I still say their attack on Clinton will ultimately prove to be their own downfall, brought on by their vicious, arrogant, aristocratic nature.

Sex scandal.....republicans screaming
Voting irregularities....republicans mobbing
Trying to dupe the constituents....creating a civil rights movement....

priceless

Wait until the republican gays start coming out of their 3-piece closets. They're already calling themselves metrosexuals. Just wait. You thought you've seen a bunch of queens flitting around at a furious pace before?

Just wait.
0 Replies

Stepfro

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:44 pm
Umbagog:

There are some things the Constitution can't destroy;
For everything else, there's Bush.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:27 am
stepfro:

May I use this quote of yours (There are some things the Constitution can't destroy; For everything else, there's Bush) in my signature?

Let me know.

Titus.
0 Replies