Motor tripping on vibrating screen

chinw

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 12:38 pm
Hi guys,
I am having same sporadic problems with a WEG 45kw motor connected to a set of exciters on a vibrating screen coupled by an offset drive shaft (2 x universal joints). Upon starting the motor several times (current draw approx 520 amps the motor is tripping out the drive supply circuit breaker instead of the overload unit. Checking the motor through the normal process has reviled nothing, megger test = 200+Meg and resistance of windings (3 leads out) shows with an ordinary ohms meter at 2 ohms between phases. The next thing that was done was to uncouple the motor and run no load. This was found to be successful and the motor ran comfortably at 45 amps no load. the motor was stopped and started 3 times and then the motor was re-coupled to the drive shaft of the screen. The motor was restarted with no further problems. This phenomenon has happened before with this drive and the outcome was the same.
I will appreciate your thoughts on this problem.
Cheers
Wayne.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Placid Carcass

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:05 am
@chinw,
This question is very hard to answer because you have not provided enough information, list all the pertinent information from the nameplate of the motor such as FLA, volts, Power Factor, H.P. ( I assume from 45Kw its a 60 HP motor). Than provide more information the type of physical load this motor will be powering. Also you must describe the circuit, Is it connected to an MCC, does it have a V.F.D (Variable Frequency Drive), is the a disconnect right before the motor? What is the cable sizing between each D/C?

After you've provided this information I will definitely be better able to give you an opinion.
0 Replies