Ceiling fan circuit

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 07:42 pm
I removed my kitchen ceiling fan to clean it; but, when I reinstalled it, I was unable to find a connection that allowed the fan and light to energize independently. 120VAC enters the ceiling box; and, is conducted to the wall box where there is a 3-speed fan switch and an SPST light switch. In the wall box there are 2 additional wires for the fan and light circuit; and, another wire for a light in the breakfast nook. I can turn the fan and nook light on/off with the SPST switch; and, I can operate the fan with the 3-speed switch. My problem is that when I energize the fan switch, the fan light comes on even if the SPST switch is off. And, if I turn the SPST switch "on" while the fan is operating, the fan light goes off. Also, when I turn the fan light on while the fan is not operating, I hear a soft squeal as if the current is passing through the fan motor. I've tried reversing polarity at the switches; but, the same issue continues. Any ideas on how to resolve this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,546 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 08:38 pm
@sunnydas,
Note down the make and model number of your ceiling fan. Then put the make and model number on an internet search, along with the word "manual". The search engine, whatever it is, (I don't use nosy Google), should give you a link to where you can download the manual for your model. Hopefully, the manual will have a pic of the electrical connections and how to properly hook them up.

In fact, you might try going to YouTube and writing in the make and model there. Lots and lots of companies put videos on YouTube to show customers the proper way to use their products, and a lot of handymen and repair people make videos on their own showing people how to do install and repair mechanical and electrical things.

If you get no answers from this board, you might try jotting down the make and model number then registering on a message board that is dedicated to home DIY projects such as this:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/lighting-light-fixtures-ceiling-exhaust-fans-135/

The people who answer there are usually pros or hobbyists thoroughly familiar with these issues.
sunnydas

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 08:57 am
@Blickers,
Thanks for the tip. The fan is 20+ years old. Not sure they are even in business anymore. I'm selling this home, otherwise I'd just buy a new one with remote control. Anyway, I'll try what you said. Thanks, again for your reply. Sunny.
0 Replies