tntp918
 
Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 06:20 pm
Hi,
Something weird just happened. I have had a carbon monoxide detector plugged into an outlet (2 plug) for years. I've never unplugged it or touched it. It's just there. We recently put a laptop nearby and I used the second plug to charge the laptop. My wife wanted to plug in the printer to print something and seeing both plugs in use she unplugged the detector. As soon as she did, all the lights in that room went out as did the T.V. She plugged it back in and everything went back on. Unplugged it again and everything went out. Plugged it back in and everything is on again. I'm baffled!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 662 • Replies: 5
No top replies

 
Tes yeux noirs
 
  0  
Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 02:34 am
If your CO alarm is more than 5 years old (some newer ones just coming out will go for 7), pitch it and get a new one. They don't last forever and can trip breakers. You need a detector you can trust, it's not just for looks. However it could be faulty even if it is newer than 5 years. Try a new one and if the problem persists consult an electrician.
0 Replies
 
Tes yeux noirs
 
  0  
Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:35 am
Ignore the votedown; I have given accurate information.
tntp918
 
  1  
Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:44 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Could be...but the detector seems ok. The light is still on. Though it could be faulty as you suggest. But the confusion, for me, is that the breaker isn't being tripped. With the detector plugged in, the lights and power in the room are fine. Unplug it and they go out. Plug it back in and they go on. No breaker involved. And to me that just makes no sense. I mean I can't understand how that's even possible.
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 06:21 am
@tntp918,
Perhaps there's an intermittent connection issue is at the power receptacle. I'd check out the receptacle. No matter what the cause is there's no short involved, so the circuit breaker doesn't trip.
Tes yeux noirs
 
  1  
Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 10:39 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Perhaps there's an intermittent connection issue is at the power receptacle. I'd check out the receptacle. No matter what the cause is there's no short involved, so the circuit breaker doesn't trip.

Yes. Exactly what I was thinking. What is happening is an interruption. maybe a connection is loose behind the outlet or it is cracked or damaged. I would check if the effect is only produced by the CO detector being in or out of the receptacle, or whether any other plug will do the same thing.

I would NOT consider getting the outlet receptacles off the wall and looking behind unless 1. I had killed the power to the whole house 2. I knew exactly what I was doing. In the absence of the latter being the case, I would get an electrician. A loose connection can generate heat and might cause damage and even lead to a fire, so I would not leave it.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Main Breaker Tripped 2x - Question by decadent
240 Why - Question by lenchase
Electrical Wiring Question - Question by cdime
electrical showers - Question by grains93
6000W cooktop circuit - Question by 1hairycanary
Tempory power supply - Question by 51 nelson
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Baffled
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/17/2019 at 10:15:46