So far as the religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake ... Religion is all bunk?

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 09:37 am
Does "So far as the religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake ... Religion is all bunk" mean "talking about today's religion (in our country or in this world), it (the religion) is actually a fraud... that is, religion is bullshit"?

Context:
So far as the religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake ... Religion is all bunk.
As quoted in What on Earth is an Atheist! (1972) by Madalyn Murray O'Hair, p. 251

More:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 614 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:19 am
@oristarA,
Ori there's something revealing about O'Hair and her ilk, much as with some if not many a2k skeptics. Many atheists and the like seem angry, as if subconsciously they harbor doubts, subliminal fear of The Almighty

As an apodictical existential pantheists my No. 2 Son and I see God in a third way, Her existence or not depending entirely on how you define Her. We see a tripartite order, the Believers, the Atheists, and then Us, who maintain that surely there's something more to the Whole Shebang than the meaningless, random bouncing of particles off one another according to inexorable and totally indifferent physical law

The trouble with the Believers, or at least most of them, is they can't adequately define what they apparently believe in; it might be something another of us wouldn't label as "God." Trouble with the outright Athiests is the unwillingness to admit that their position might eventually resolve into a mere semantic issue, meantime their lives curtailed by their ceaseless insistence
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:22 am
@oristarA,
Yes that's what it means Ori, all religion is nonsense.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:24 am
@dalehileman,
Ori asked a question about language not theology. There's plenty of other threads where you can articulate your distaste of O'Hair.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:27 am
@izzythepush,
dale likes to spout out apodictical , its the only way he can get chicks.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:27 am
@izzythepush,
Reviewing OP Izzy you're quite right, OT it was

My apologies Ori, my reply, yes
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
, its the only way he can get chicks.
Whaaaa, Farm, at 82
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:32 am
@dalehileman,
well, lets say that you're seeking out a widow Hileman .
dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 11:04 am
@farmerman,
Not yet Farm

But I deplore the notion I might have to restart. Thus hope against hope and prayer in our own pantheistic regimen that the present Better Half outlives me
0 Replies