How important are elevator inspections?

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 06:16 am
I'm asking as I've noticed that frequently I see elevator inspection stickers past their due dates.

More alarmingly in my workplace - the elevators are all more than 5 months past their expiration dates (the stickers any way). They are date 1/4/13. And the ones within another area of the building are three months past their dates (these are used by the general public).

So is this a problem? I suppose worst case situation if I do get injured by a malfunction of the elevator I might I have a good lawsuit on my hands.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 10

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 06:17 am
@Linkat,

i would let the building manager know asap...
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 07:06 am
There are governmental agencies that are supposed to come in and inspect things like elevators, etc.

Since the government is so interested in our love life and charities, they can't take care of infrastructure concerns like roads, bridges, elevators and street lights.

Anyway . . . What agency placed the sticker you are looking at?
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 08:12 am
@Region Philbis,
I hear that they're on the rise.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 10:23 am
@PUNKEY,
I don't know I'll have to read it next time I am in the elevator. I wonder if anyone else notices these things.

Also, I used to notice at my other place of business although they weren't as delinquent as almost 6 months usually it was more like a month so it seems "normal" to be late with these things.
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 11:03 am
@Linkat,
I am someone who notices these inspection dates. I have to say that every place I've seen where I've lived or worked at, building maintenance and powers-that-be get to them before or just before the expiration date. That being said (with my current lifestyle), I've admittedly only been in 2 elevators in the last 2 yrs.
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 09:33 pm
@Ragman,
whistling a tune
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 08:41 am
@PUNKEY,
I finally did read who is responsible for elevator inspection -

It is the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety.

This does not give me much confidence. Any related to our government is most likely to be screwed up any way.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 08:49 am
Ha - so I do a search on Mass elevator inspections just to get some info on this stuff and I find this news report about a mall that was found to have elevators past due for their inspections. And after they aired the report, they started get emails about many expired elevators.

Seems there is a backlog of inspections so "some" are not getting done on time. But this report talks about it being a backlog in the Western part of the state - due to some illnesses and issues with individual inspectors.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/i_team/i-team-elevator-inspection-backlog
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 09:00 am
@Linkat,
This is a safety issue should be elevated, don't you think?
Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 12:23 pm
@Ragman,
You don't know MA very well do you - all that would happen is that it would keep getting elevated (love the pun) until there is an accident and then the finger pointing and then some sap that had no authority would get blamed and then get fired --- then later secretly hired at a higher position some where else in a useless state job.

It is also way past inspection in the mall area as well. It is very weird to as the sticker said last inspected in June of last year - but when I read the MA website for safety it says inspections annually so in theory it hasn't been a year yet since the last one. I'm going to check elevators everywhere, take pictures and send to the TV station. That will be fun.
0 Replies