What shall we talk about?

PDiddie

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:25 pm
Participation: Liberals
Format: Freestyle

Welcome to your new board!

Formerly called PUP, we now re-embark on our noble and lofty mission: to vigorously discuss issues of interest to those on the left and center of the political spectrum.

Accept or reject the 'liberal' label but don't let it bog you down or limit your participation.

Keep it civil (MORE civil than in the general forum). Don't use this board to carp at each other or criticize those members whose views we happen to disagree with. Do NOT post anything of this variety: "Did you see what (un-named conservative) posted on (thread in general forum)?!?" In fact, exert your best effort to simply not post anything, personally speaking, about any member. Chat and digressions are fine (they occasionally make me peevish but that will just have to be my personal problem... :wink: )

I'm not a moderator for this or any other forum, nor do I intend to be. I ain't the cop on the beat. I have only one button and its 'on/off' as far as your participation.

If I decide you can't play nice after one warning then you will disappear from this corner and the board will disappear to you.

That is correct: my decisions are abitrary, subjective and closed to review.

Now that the housekeeping out of the way, what would you like to discuss?

The American election? Social programs and issues? The environment (global, regional, local)? This new phenomenon of global terrorism? World affairs? Something considerably less United States-centric?

Let's hear from you in this thread about a topic you'd like to talk about. Keep in mind the limited audience here that will see your message, and the missing discordant (idealogically speaking) viewpoint.

Here's a potential topic:

Do you think that the current American political climate allows any room for compromise, either before or after the presidential election in November, or has it been poisoned beyond repair? If so, in what areas? If not, why not?

If the discussion on any suggested topic picks up a little steam I'll ask the mods to strip out the responses and start a stand-alone thread...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,605 • Replies: 8
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:00 am
Have the Media lost their independence?
One of my biggest concerns is my perception that the Media have lost their independence from political and corporate manipulation and pressure. This is most clearly seen in television and radio. The press seems to have retained some of it's integrity.

TV seems dominated by product shilling and political advocacy in the news rather than only in editorial areas. This is driven by the profit motive. 24-hour cable "news" are the worst offenders because they are 100 percent profit centers. They have become the tabloids of the airwaves. It appears this has happened when the network TV news departments changed from non-profit status to expected profit centers, the worst policy I've seen in news since the departure of Murrow and Cronkite.

In other areas, there are clear conflicts of interest when TV networks also become owners of sports teams or have financial interests in other public arenas, such as publishing. Their networks are used to benefit their profits under the color of "news."

I won't go into the depressing quality of local TV news stations of the networks, especially outside the major cities. They are only fit to watch for the weather reports sandwiched in between "if it bleeds, it leads" stories.

Without Media independence and integrity, where can the public get factual information? Where can the public find protection against corrupt government and corporate dominance if not through a vigilant media? The Internet, even with all of its problems, may be our last chance to stay well and accurately informed.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:07 am
groovy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:26 am
Re: What shall we talk about?
PDiddie wrote:
Participation: Liberals
Format: Freestyle

Welcome to your new board!

Formerly called PUP...

Just FYI this isn't the former PUP board and it isn't restricted to just one ideology or another. Please see: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21513 for more information. Thanks and enjoy the Debate Room.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 11:53 am
Reporter Apologizes for Iraq Coverage
Reporter Apologizes for Iraq Coverage
By E&P Staff
Published: March 29, 2004
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000474545

NEW YORK In the wake of Richard Clarke's dramatic personal apology to the families of 9/11 victims last week -- on behalf of himself and his government -- for failing to prevent the terrorist attacks, one might expect at least a few mea culpas related to the release of false information on the Iraq threat before and after the war.

This has not happened so far, with President Bush on Wednesday going so far as to joke about the missing weapons of mass destruction at a correspondents dinner in Washington.

While the major media, from The New York Times on down, has largely remained silent about their own failings in this area, a young columnist for a small paper in Fredericksburg, Va., has stepped forward.

"The media are finished with their big blowouts on the anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, and there is one thing they forgot to say: We're sorry," Rick Mercier wrote, in a column published Sunday in The Free Lance-Star.

"Sorry we let unsubstantiated claims drive our coverage. Sorry we were dismissive of experts who disputed White House charges against Iraq. Sorry we let a band of self-serving Iraqi defectors make fools of us. Sorry we fell for Colin Powell's performance at the United Nations. Sorry we couldn't bring ourselves to hold the administration's feet to the fire before the war, when it really mattered.

"Maybe we'll do a better job next war."

Mercier admitted that it was "absurd to receive this apology from a person so low in the media hierarchy. You really ought to be getting it from the editors and reporters at the agenda-setting publications, such as The New York Times and The Washington Post."

Mercier, an editor and writer at the newspaper who writes a column two or three times a month, told E&P that the column was sparked by what he saw as "a need for accountability and reflection" given the seriousness of the current conflict in Iraq and the failure to find WMDs there or a strong Saddam link to al Qaeda. He saw little of that soul-searching in the one-year anniversary coverage. "By neglecting to fully employ their critical-thinking faculties, the media not only failed their readers and viewers, they failed our democracy," Mercier said.

Concluding his column, Mercier declared, "there's no excusing that failure. The only thing that can be said is, Sorry."
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 03:24 pm
Editor and Publisher is the trade rag for -- you guessed it -- editors and publishers of US daily newspapers.

It's a safe assumption that most of the publishers and a large minority of the editors are Republicans. (I say safe because once upon a time I used to know personally a lot of them.)

I have been mouth-falling-open shocked at some of their articles this year.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 03:34 pm
Now that I have a better understanding of the format, please be aware that we can invite Conservatives to join us in a civilized debate (perhaps that was clear to others before; I am a little slow sometimes... Embarrassed )

With Bumble's suggestion I'd like to add also:

"Is the concern about electronic voting irregularities and the potential for abuse strictly a Democratic/liberal concern? Why does it seem that Republicans/conservatives don't share the same sense of urgency?"

(Question to the moderator: is it proper to proceed like this, or would it be more direct to simply start a thread, specify the participation and format, and have at it?)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 06:23 am
We don't have electronic voting in Oz, but a common theme is that the conservative party always tries to make voting as complicated as possible, while the left wing party always tries to simplify voting. It's my belief that the con's think that those who are smart will naturally vote for them, and they've got more chance of tricking the less intelligent (who they believe are more likely to vote left wing) into voting incorrectly and thus submitting an informal vote.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 08:40 am
Greg Palast has a cogent analysis on the past (and pending) minority voter disenfranchisement. Here's just the tail end of the article; the rest is here:

Quote:
That's Florida. Now let's talk about America. In the 2000 election, 1.9 million votes cast were never counted. Spoiled for technical reasons, like writing in Gore's name, machine malfunctions and so on. The reasons for ballot rejection vary, but there's a suspicious shading to the ballots tossed into the dumpster. Edley's team of Harvard experts discovered that just as in Florida, the number of ballots spoiled was--county by county, precinct by precinct--in direct proportion to the local black voting population.

Florida's racial profile mirrors the nation's--both in the percentage of voters who are black and the racial profile of the voters whose ballots don't count. "In 2000, a black voter in Florida was ten times as likely to have their vote spoiled--not counted--as a white voter," explains political scientist Philip Klinkner, co-author of Edley's Harvard report. "National figures indicate that Florida is, surprisingly, typical. Given the proportion of nonwhite to white voters in America, then, it appears that about half of all ballots spoiled in the USA, as many as 1 million votes, were cast by nonwhite voters."

So there you have it. In the last presidential election, approximately 1 million black and other minorities voted, and their ballots were thrown away. And they will be tossed again in November 2004, efficiently, by computer--because HAVA and other bogus reform measures, stressing reform through complex computerization, do not address, and in fact worsen, the racial bias of the uncounted vote.
0 Replies