Does Bush think he owns a copyright on the scriptures?

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:12 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Posted on Sun, Mar. 28, 2004
Kerry's use of scripture in Missouri appearance angers Bush camp
By James Kuhnhenn
Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. LOUIS - It took John Kerry a moment before his hands picked up the rhythm of the Baptist choir, pausing in mid-clap to catch up to the beat. But by the time the former altar boy got his chance to speak, he had his own Amen corner in this crucial presidential bellwether state.

In a short address at the New Northside Baptist Church filled with references to prayer and scripture, Kerry quoted the Bible in a way that offended the Bush-Cheney camp.

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but doesn't have works," Kerry said, quoting James 2:14. "When we look at what is happening in America today, where are the works of compassion?"

The Bush-Cheney camp cited that quote as an improper use of the Christian scriptures to take a veiled slap at Bush, a conservative Christian, and his claim to being a compassionate conservative.

"John Kerry's comment at New Northside Baptist Church was beyond the bounds of acceptable discourse, and a sad exploitation of scripture for a political attack," said Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt.

Kerry, a Roman Catholic, turned his stump speech into a call to the faithful to become "doers of the word, not hearers only," another biblical reference.

At the church, the only sign of money was during the offering, and the only appeal for votes was indirect.

But elsewhere, in a general election campaign that has begun remarkably early and with extraordinary vigor, Kerry has been pleading for votes and money long before the country usually tunes in to a presidential contest. He has targeted that message recently to contributors in key, narrowly divided states such as Missouri that could determine the presidential election in November.

"What brings you here?" asked Bert De Rousse, who was having breakfast at St. Louis diner Sunday morning when Kerry stopped by to visit.

"I want your vote," Kerry replied. "That's what brings me here. I want to help strengthen our economy and create jobs."

Late Saturday, Kerry held a reception for former backers of U.S. Rep. Richard Gephardt's presidential bid. With Kerry at his side, Gephardt implored them: "I know all of you dug deep, worked hard and gave lots of money to my campaign. What I ask you tonight is to do the same for him and more."

Kerry then baited the hook, hinting that Gephardt of Missouri could end up at his vice president or, perhaps, somewhere else in a Kerry administration. "If I have my way, I will be finding some way, some how that this man continues in public service."

Earlier, at the diner, Kerry, who is about to undergo minor surgery for a shoulder injury, got an earful over his appearance.

Ceasar Valli was the first of three diners to tell Kerry he looks much better in person than on TV. "You look like a good Italian in this neighborhood," Valli said.

But, taking a measure of Kerry's slim, 6-foot-4 physique, he added: "You need a little flesh on."

Kerry agreed. "I know. I'm working on it."

Next, at another table, Mary Ameis of Richmond Heights, said: "You look wonderful. TV doesn't show how nice-looking you are."

The senator replied, "Oh my gosh, I better work on my camera angles."

Finally, the senator's looks were assessed by Eda Grassi of St. Louis, an elderly woman in a natty blue suit with a sparkly starfish pin that Kerry complimented her on.

"You're much better looking in person," she said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 4
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:13 am
I'm sure that the Bush camp was offended because they think that Kerry is injecting the whole "works-versus-faith" controversy into the political arena. That he did so at a Protestant church is even more solid evidence that Kerry is nothing but a closet counter-Reformationist, a Papist wolf in humanist sheep's clothing.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:15 am
Please edit your thread title. Strike "he owns a copywright on the scriptures" and place the question mark after think. thank you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:19 am
BPB
BPB, I see you are awake and are in good form for so early in the morning.

BBB Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:59 pm
Most of the republicans I have met actually do think they have a monopoly of the scriptures. It sometimes even spills over in private local churches.
0 Replies