Amerikan Media=Right Wing Crap

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 10:57 am
Blatham writes:

Quote:
" This bias issue is a tough one. Not surprisingly, I don't perceive the tilt of things quite the same way you do. I wonder if we might be able, in some organized manner, to address this. Could we, for example, take two representative journalists and place their writing against some set of criteria? Say, Paul Krugman and Krauthammer."

Sure we can--I am terribly busy at work this week to do much research but will have time later--but it will be more constructive to use straight news reporting rather than those on the opinion pages. For instance, I have a great deal of admiration for William Buckley who will criticize the right but generally tilts right and this is to be expected. I also have a great deal of respect for William Raspberry who is not opposed to criticizing error and extremism from the left but who will generally tilt left on most issues and this is also to be expected. I have no problem with columists as we know where they are coming from and expect them to be biased. We should, however, be able to expect reported news in the papers or on television, etc. to be objective and impartial. I don't think it always is.

So maybe we could compare some stories on the same topic say from the Washington Post (deemed liberal) versus say the Washington Times (deemed conservative) to see which does a better job at objectivity?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:57 pm
Sounds delicious. Let me know when you've more time, and we'll go at this.

In the meantime, we can consider what criteria we might use. Logical fallacies seem more a matter of bad writing/thinking than a matter of bias, though they can certainly be used to promote bias (eg Coulter). Omissions of relevant data or opinion, inappropriate stress, etc seem valid criteria...we can probably even work this out as we go.

Looking forward to it.
0 Replies