John Ashcroft Ejaculates Involuntarily.......

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:45 pm
when he learns of this......

http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/2953483/detail.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 15
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:16 pm
BBB
When the ACLU gets started with this one, it will be reversed.

BBB
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:41 pm
I hope so, BBB.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:11 pm
Insane.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:30 pm
This is not insane. If you look at the Patriot Act and some of the positions of the more conservative members of the government it make sense. This is part of a broader movement to "protect" the role back of the New Deal and the social legislation of the past 50 years. This is going to cause considerable unrest as people begin to realize just what is being done to them. This is another preparatory move to stifle the oncoming dissent and opposition.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:48 pm
Quote:
This is going to cause considerable unrest as people begin to realize just what is being done to them.

But the government is counting on any realization to occur far too late for it to do any good.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:33 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:
This is going to cause considerable unrest as people begin to realize just what is being done to them.

But the government is counting on any realization to occur far too late for it to do any good.

Like Germany......
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:49 pm
Na, ja. Sad
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:35 pm
As someone who embraces and cherishes the US Constitution and all that it guarantees, I am deeply disturbed by this article and the implications it has for Americans.

At the same time, I can't say I'm surprised.

After all, these phoney-baloney conservatives orbiting Bush's tiny pinhead are faux conservatives who have absolutely no understanding of the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and the dangers inherent to expanding the powers of the police and military, merging the two into one.

There have already been calls to revisit the Posse Comitatus Act. Where this will lead us is into a dark world of life in a police state where the government is no longer accountable to its citizens.

This is George W. Bush's Amerika.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:42 pm
It works like that in Japan. Works pretty well too.

Having lived under those situations and not seen the bottom of the slippery slope Americans predict I am far less concerned.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:47 pm
Craven, I'm surprised at your opinion. Japan is an entirely different society, with an acceptance of governmental and societal structures that would never fly in the US.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:55 pm
That doesn't make it a bit more sane, Acquiunk.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:00 pm
Diane wrote:
Craven, I'm surprised at your opinion. Japan is an entirely different society, with an acceptance of governmental and societal structures that would never fly in the US.

Oh I know. I'm just saying that not having lived in the US my whole life it bothers me a lot less. I've seen this type of thing in effect without great deals of abuse.

I'm not a big fan of Japanese culture, and I dislike the comformist element of their society but think America is at the opposite extreme and am confident that American individualism will not permit this kind of act to go very far.

I take comfort in knowing it won't fly here because of all the people both liberal and conservative that it does bother and am confident that we will not reach the bottom of the slippery slope because of the societal structures in the US (i.e. the strong opposition to this kind of thing).
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:18 pm
I was unaware that Japan is a police state controlled by the military.

I have a friend whose son is a physician in Tokyo, as well as several friends who have lived in Japan on and off over the past 20 years. I will check with them to see if this is true.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:20 pm
roger wrote:
That doesn't make it a bit more sane, Acquiunk.

perhaps sane is the wrong word, understandable might be more accurate. In either case it fits into a pattern that has been developing in this country for a while. There seems to be a concerted effort to make people feel insecure and on the basis of that insecurity chip away at there basic liberties and rights.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:38 pm
Titus wrote:
I was unaware that Japan is a police state controlled by the military.

So was I. And that's why I never said so. Rolling Eyes

Japanese police can enter a home without a warrant.
0 Replies