I believe in B-ball ...

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:07 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
needless to say, it's fun watching a veteran team that knows how to close out games...
aaaaaaaand soon thereafter they caught the injury bug and stopped playing well.
if i was the superstitious type, i'd say i put a lill ol' jinx on 'em.
but i'm not.

well, going against my better judgement, i plan to stay up for the late game tonight @ LAL.
i figure with kobe prolly out, the C's have a slim chance of staying in the game...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:53 am
Celts and Lakers tonight?!? I'm there!

didya'll see the trace for Antawn Jamieson to the Cavs? I'm tellin' ya, that might be the clincher for Lebron's first Ring!
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:55 am
when's that all white league starting up, i can't really support the idea, but i should be able to follow the pace of the games
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:59 am
@snood,

they will be very tough to beat at full strength, no doubt.
i'm just glad they didn't get stoudemire from phoenix, as was rumored last week...

i hear the C's are interested in little nate robinson to back up rondo.
if they can swing it, eddie house would go to the knicks...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:37 am

C's brought enough D last night, and prevailed 87-86 -- despite being outscored in the 4th quarter 17-11... Mr. Green
patiodog

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:41 am
@Region Philbis,
Can't be too happy about them letting LAL -- sans Bryant -- back in the game after being up 10, though.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
@patiodog,

at this point, a win is a win.
as presently constructed, they have zero chance of getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

caught the end of nuggets-cavs.
another impressive road win...
patiodog

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm expecting a lot from Jamison as soon as he learns that one play that constitutes an offense in Cleveland. Nobody finds the open spot away from the ball like that guy.

Though I'm sure Mike James can make it not work.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:47 pm
@patiodog,

he is working on the 'give it to bron-bron and get outta the way' play as we speak...

how soon before mcgrady is sent to the d'antoni dawghouse?
patiodog

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
The Cavs should have been scoring 120 a game with the personnel they had. It's amazing LeBron is able to do in that "system." They can play some shut-down D, though...

Re: Knicks... I don't even know. Not being in that part of the country, they're just another crap team to me, and I don't any more attention to them than you probably do to the Bucks. Something in this article ( http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=4924052 ) about the trade amuses me, though: the writer talks about Eddie House "struggling" because he's only shooting 40% from 3. Yeah, I know, that's his specialty, but 1.2 points per shot from the floor is hardly struggling. It's above his career average and, over a career, would put him in the top 30 all time...

Edit: the writer's math is off, anywho. House is 64/167 from 3 -- 38.3%. Still an enviable percentage for most players.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:17 pm
@patiodog,

the thing that did house in was his inability to guard some of the quicker back-up PG's... plus he wasn't lighting up the scoreboard much this year.
a few times in '08 he led the team in scoring, and was an excellent 6th man.

lil' nate is an upgrade... he's 6 years younger, more athletic, more prolific.
celtic brass is already drooling over the option of leaving rondo in with nate and deploying the backcourt press...
patiodog

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 03:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
I agree Robinson's an upgrade -- though maybe a little less accustomed to giving up the ball than the C's would like. I just thought it was funny that he cited a pretty solid stat as evidence of slumping (and miscalculated it, at that).

Personally, I wouldn't put it past the Celtics to make a late season push if they can get everyone healthy and in rhythm in time for the playoffs. The Pistons and the Spurs of recent years were able to pull that off before age fully caught up with 'em.

Still, I'm very excited about Jamison in Cleveland. I'd been hoping they'd make that trade instead of for Stoudemire, who I think would clog up the lane even more than it already is and push Varejao and his manic energy to the bench for longer stretches.

(I'm a Kings fan, which pretty much makes me a free agent these days -- I just want to see good ball.)
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:34 am
@patiodog,

d'antoni, who tends to clash with strong-willed players, benched nate for a month; his first game back he poured in 40.
C's will look for him to take plenty of 2nd unit shots.

they looked pretty good @ portland last night.
solid D throughout, but still too many lapses on O...

despite antawn's ugly ofer, he should make the cavs better...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:46 pm
The Celtics are on the warpath to the Championship!! Up 2 - 0 in the conference finals and they're up 22 points in Boston with less then 8 minutes left in the game!!
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2010/images/05/22/celtics526-5-052210.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Celtics are 3-0 with their 94 to 71 bulldozing of the Magic.
patiodog

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
If I may quote myself:

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't put it past the Celtics to make a late season push if they can get everyone healthy and in rhythm in time for the playoffs. The Pistons and the Spurs of recent years were able to pull that off before age fully caught up with 'em.

Ne'emind that late-season push, tho. I meant post-season... Wink

So much for Jamison putting the Cavs over the top, tho.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 06:37 am
@patiodog,

doc rivers was like a crazy-man standing on a soap-box all season, saying how he believed in this team,
and they would be fine as soon as they got healthy.
no one believed him.
i certainly didn't, not the way they were losing -- especially at home.
turns out he was right... Mr. Green

add rondo's floor-burn steal/layup to hondo's and bird's on the highlight reel...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:08 am
I can't believe how frikkin' jelly-spined the Magic was.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:49 am

the cavs are showing coach brown the door...
can stan van be far behind?
patiodog

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
The Cavs under Brown have always been painful to watch on offense, even with the best all-around offensive player on the planet. I thought he should have been fired when he was being crowned coach of the year (actually before that) -- or do the Phil Jackson/Rick Adelman thing, and bring in a guru to install an offense.

As for Stan Van ----- I dunno, I've never been able to figure out what sort of team the Magic are, and I'm not sure if that's to do with him or just a weird mix of players. Having played for a shrill little coach in high school, though, I know that a repetitive grating voice like that can turn a team off after a while...