Religion Is Unbelievable, Thank God I'm An Atheist!

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:34 am
Quote:
As the documentary "The Unbelievers" premieres at Toronto's Hot Docs Festival, two of the men featured in the film: professor Richard Dawkins and physicist Lawrence Krauss sit down with Steve Paikin to tell us why indeed, they don't believe.
http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2013/5/1/the-agenda-with-steve-paikin-rise-of-the-new-atheists

dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 11:46 am
@Chumly,
Chum your title has made my entire day

Without specifically addressing the professors, as a former atheist myself I maintain there's something about the Entire Megillah we can't yet comprehend

....partly because language doesn't yet provide the necessary tools
Chumly

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 12:56 pm
@dalehileman,
A smidgen of humor, but that aside I like the video.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:11 am
@Chumly,
I watched it clear thru Chum and thanks

Here's something about the dualism which puzzles me greatly: Neither side defines what it means by "God." Presumably it's the anthropomorphic being thought of as white-bearded, white-robed male sitting on a white cloud whilst holding a static lightning bolt and making arbitrary decisions at whom He tosses it

But some of us--especially the panthiest--entertain a more subtle vision, maintaining that there's an aspect of the Entire Megillah we can't yet fully comprehend--as I said at least partly owing to the inadequacy of present language forms but largely to the tendency of the humanoid to dualistic confrontation

…who maintains that eventually the apparent irreconcilable controversy is simply one of semantics: Whether or not She exists depends on what you mean by "God"
0 Replies

count markovalley

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 04:39 pm
Interesting how religion seems to be a major concern of atheists.. are atheists simply trying to whistle past the graveyard?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 10:10 am
@count markovalley,
Well put, Val. And one might ask also why they seem angrier than the other team, maybe because subliminally they harbor doubts about their negative position
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 04:23 pm
The only anger I see is coming from the fundamentalist deists.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 10:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Of course Ed there's anger on both sides but it's my impression that the skeptics are more insistent
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 01:05 pm
@dalehileman,
The only anger I have ever seen from atheists stems from pressure put on them by deists. You must believe, you must go to church, you must allow your kids to be indoctrinated, you cannot hold public office, you must allow religious symbolism to permeate, you have no rights as an atheist - And I just barely scratched the surface.
AtheisticMaterialist

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 06:43 pm
@dalehileman,
Sometimes atheists get angry because theists are so tied to their religion, that they won't even listen to what atheists have to say on the subject.
0 Replies

AtheisticMaterialist

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
You must believe, you must go to church, you must allow your kids to be indoctrinated, you cannot hold public office, you must allow religious symbolism to permeate, you have no rights as an atheist - And I just barely scratched the surface.

Well, That's not the ONLY time an atheist gets angry, but it is still a good point
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 07:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The only anger I have ever seen from atheists stems from pressure put on them by deists
Maybe I just wasn't conscious of it, but I don't recall much pressure at all. I suspect that the atheist experiences might be generated subliminally
AtheisticMaterialist

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 07:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I suspect that the atheist experiences might be generated subliminally
Do you have any idea how absurd what your saying is? Do you mean we fabricate memories, or we actually experience things that aren't really happening? Both are extremely absurd.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 01:16 pm
@AtheisticMaterialist,
Quote:
I suspect that the atheist experiences might be generated subliminally

Quote:
Do you have any idea how absurd what your saying is?
Not at all, Mat. Of course there are those among us who reject Freud in his totality

Quote:
Do you mean we fabricate memories,
In a sense. Though the term "memory" ordinarily refers to the conscious

Quote:
or we actually experience things that aren't really happening?
I suppose it depends on how one defines "happenings". Of course we aren't consciously aware of such conflict and indeed that's why it's called "subconscious"

Quote:
Both are extremely absurd.
If after reading my reply above you still find such action absurd then if you would detail or restate your objection I might be able to further clarify
0 Replies