If the soul is mortal why do christians believe in hell?

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 05:29 am
Neologist wrote:
Quote:
I suppose you would declare first century Christians evil who faced death rather than perform a simple act of deference to the emporer

Evil no, stubborn and hard-headed perhaps,yes..Smile
Jesus had already publicly said "Pay your taxes to Caesar" (Matt 22:21)
And Paul said- "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established." (Romans 13:1)

So a reasonable defence worth trying for early Christians would have been to say to the Romans- "We'll happily pay our taxes to Caesar and we accept that God has made him our ruler" and see if that carried any weight.
neologist

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 06:06 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
I suppose you would declare first century Christians evil who faced death rather than perform a simple act of deference to the emporer
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Evil no, stubborn and hard-headed perhaps,yes..Smile
Jesus had already publicly said "Pay your taxes to Caesar" (Matt 22:21)
And Paul said- "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established." (Romans 13:1)

So a reasonable defence worth trying for early Christians would have been to say to the Romans- "We'll happily pay our taxes to Caesar and we accept that God has made him our ruler" and see if that carried any weight.
What about burning a pinch of incense and saying "Caesar is Lord." Would that have been OK, in your opinion?

Were Peter and the other apostles stubborn and hard headed when they said. "We ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29) Just think of all the lives you could have saved if you had been around to advise our first century brothers.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 06:14 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
BTW, many JWs died in WWII Germany for refusing to "Heil Hitler!" And, of all the casualties in WWII, none may be attributed to Jehovah's Witnesses. . . .
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 02:49 am
"The breadbaskets looked pretty floating slowly down in the night sky" my mother told me, referring to when the nazis bombed her home town of Leicester (England) in 1940. "Breadbaskets" was the local term for bundles of incendiary bombs and target marker flares.She was 18 at the time and she and her family survived without a scratch, but other citizens didn't.
So we had to do D-Day to stop Hitler, but JW's preferred to sit out the war without getting involved.

Hitler also wanted to bomb America, but still the JW's refused to tackle him-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/amerbomb.jpg
"I completely lack the bombers capable of round-trip flights to New York with a 5-ton bomb load. I would be extremely happy to possess such a bomber which would at last stuff the mouth of arrogance across the sea."-Hermann Goering 1938
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos%20Two/Goering1943.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/amerikabombr.jpg

The nazis were also developing an atom bomb, this is a nazi study of the effects of an atomic blast on New York-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub3/Oct43LuftmapA-bomb.jpg
neologist

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 09:38 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
. ...Hitler also wanted to bomb America, but still the JW's refused to tackle him-
They also refused to join him.
Catholics killed Catholics, Lutherans killed Lutherans. Religious leaders conspired with politicians to provide cannon fodder. But you may be sure that none of those bombs were manufactured or dropped by JWs. Our hands are clean.

BTW, you never answered my question posted here: http://able2know.org/topic/214277-7#post-5445976

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 09:58 am
Neologist pouted:
Quote:
BTW, you never answered my question posted here: http://able2know.org/topic/214277-7#post-5445976

If you mean this one- "Were Peter and the other apostles stubborn and hard headed when they said. "We ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29) Just think of all the lives you could have saved if you had been around to advise our first century brothers"

As a JW you take the Bible far too literally and out of context mate, for example the 10 Commandments and Jesus say "Thou shalt not kill", yet when they came to arrest Jesus, Peter whipped out his sword and whacked the high priest's flunky across the head with it (below)
Same with Hitler/Mussolini/Jap Empire/Saddam etc, they all needed a good whacking..Smile
http://imageshack.us/a/img706/9384/bvx8.jpg

neologist

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 10:55 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
Romeo Fable Spinner wrote:
If you mean this one- "Were Peter and the other apostles stubborn and hard headed when they said. "We ought to obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29) Just think of all the lives you could have saved if you had been around to advise our first century brothers"

As a JW you take the Bible far too literally and out of context mate, for example the 10 Commandments and Jesus say "Thou shalt not kill", yet when they came to arrest Jesus, Peter whipped out his sword and whacked the high priest's flunky across the head with it (below)
Same with Hitler/Mussolini/Jap Empire/Saddam etc, they all needed a good whacking.
What on earth does that have to do with Peter's response to the Pharisees? They were ordered to stop preaching.

Also You missed this one:
I wrote:
What about burning a pinch of incense and saying "Caesar is Lord." Would that have been OK, in your opinion?

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 12:11 pm
Neologist wrote:
Quote:

As long as they didn't say "Caesar is God"..Smile

neologist

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 05:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
Romey wrote:
As long as they didn't say "Caesar is God"..Smile
You do know to refuse was to invite death, do you not?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 05:37 am
When christianity began snowballing in popularity after Jesus's execution, the snooty Jewish priests and the boneheaded Romans said- "Oops better not let on it was us who killed him, quick, shred all the documents implicating us or we'll have a Jesusgate scandal on our hands. Let's airbrush him out of history and start hassling christians, and people will soon quickly forget about him"..
So yes, early Christians took some stick, but about 300 years later Rome came to its senses and adopted Christianity as the state religion..Smile

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 09:09 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

When christianity began snowballing in popularity after Jesus's execution, the snooty Jewish priests and the boneheaded Romans said- "Oops better not let on it was us who killed him, quick, shred all the documents implicating us or we'll have a Jesusgate scandal on our hands. Let's airbrush him out of history and start hassling christians, and people will soon quickly forget about him"..
So yes, early Christians took some stick, but about 300 years later Rome came to its senses and adopted Christianity as the state religion..Smile

Do you make this stuff up on your own...or do you have professional help?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:56 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
What the heck are you talking about?
You are a legend in your own mind, Romey
0 Replies