If the soul is mortal why do christians believe in hell?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 03:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Just as eyewitness accounts of a traffic accident differ on points of detail, so do the Bible's eyewitness accounts sometimes differ, it's a normal human trait..Smile

Ahhh...you agree. The Bible is not consistent!

And you agree that it is a book that humans wrote.
neologist

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Just as eyewitness accounts of a traffic accident differ on points of detail, so do the Bible's eyewitness accounts sometimes differ, it's a normal human trait..Smile

Romeo, in his ignorance, fancies the Bible to be inconsistent so he can cherry pick his beliefs. The Bible was written by men, but under God's direction
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 05:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

So then, it isn't inconsistent to say that the Bible is inconsistent and that it has been prettied up.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 05:32 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Romeo, in his ignorance, fancies the Bible to be inconsistent so he can cherry pick his beliefs.

You, in turn, in your credulity, fancy the Bible to be consistent and torture the very meaning of the words found in it to conform to your beliefs.
neologist

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 06:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
Romeo, in his ignorance, fancies the Bible to be inconsistent so he can cherry pick his beliefs.

You, in turn, in your credulity, fancy the Bible to be consistent and torture the very meaning of the words found in it to conform to your beliefs.
When I'm wrong, I fess up to it
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 06:30 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
When I'm wrong, i fess up to it.

Would that that were true. IB is right, you torture language to attempt to authorize what you already wish to believe.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 06:33 pm
Neologist pouted:
Quote:
Romeo, in his ignorance, fancies the Bible to be inconsistent so he can cherry pick his beliefs. The Bible was written by men, but under God's direction

JW's such as yourself believe God directed people to die rather than have blood transfusions, where does it say that in the Bible?
neologist

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 08:29 pm
@Setanta,
I admit to confirmation bias based on my belief that the Bible is consistent. But I'm no genius. And I'm not an official representative of the Watchtower Society. One of my main reasons for posting here is to sharpen my understanding. You have made points, as have Blue, Ros, and a few others. In fact, I find non believers to be more efficient as sharpening stones.

However, no one here has yet caused me to lose sleep over my profession of faith.

If there is a God who created in us the traits of love, justice, and wisdom, and put us on this amazingly beautiful earth, then certainly He would explain to us why we have had 1000s of years of human misery and what He intends to do about it.

The Bible presents the best explanation I have yet to find.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 08:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
JW's such as yourself believe God directed people to die rather than have blood transfusions, where does it say that in the Bible?
Good discussion of that here: http://able2know.org/topic/81075-1
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 03:22 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

You KNOW that how?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 04:16 am
Neologist wrote concerning blood transfusions:
Quote:
Good discussion of that here: http://able2know.org/topic/81075-1

In that thread you said- "I would answer yes to refusing a blood transfusion for myself or any of my dependents"

Haha, and you dared to call ME "ignorant" earlier, yet here's you and your JW mates clinging to an ignorant primitive superstition that bans blood transfusions..Smile
I agree with Nickfuns opinion on the subject, quote:- "Any sort of belief that opposes life can only be decribed as EVIL. Life is so precious"

Learn! - "In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30)
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 01:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I suppose you would declare first century Christians evil who faced death rather than perform a simple act of deference to the emporer
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 02:42 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I suppose you would declare first century Christians evil who faced death rather than perform a simple act of deference to the emporer

I wouldn't consider them evil...I would consider then rather foolish.

Gonna answer my question up above?
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 05:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
I imagine you include JWs in that category, as well
Frank Apisa wrote:
Sorry, Frank. I didn't mean to ignore you. Going there now.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 06:02 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
I imagine you include JWs in that category, as well

Yeah, I would. I respect their right to do what they deem appropriate (or moral)...and I do not consider them evil. But I do consider them foolish for that.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Sorry, Frank. I didn't mean to ignore you. Going there now.

Okay.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 06:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
You KNOW that how?
Looks like I made several assertions. So . . .
Romeo is ignorant. Just a guess.
Fancies the Bible to be inconsistent. Derived from his words.
Cherry picks his beliefs. Another guess. I admit this might be unfair. But one who does not believe the Bible to be consistent has an implied license to do so.

Bible written by men. Thought that to be obvious.
Under God's direction. My assertion for which I provide only circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, nearly all of which has been subject to (unwarranted) scorn on these fora. Shocked
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 06:06 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
You KNOW that how?
Looks like I made several assertions. So . . .
Romeo is ignorant. Just a guess.
Fancies the Bible to be inconsistent. Derived from his words.
Cherry picks his beliefs. Another guess. I admit this might be unfair. But one who does not believe the Bible to be consistent has an implied license to do so.

Bible written by men. Thought that to be obvious.
Under God's direction. My assertion for which I provide only circumstantial and anecdotal evidence, nearly all of which has been subject to (unwarranted) scorn on these fora. Shocked

Okay, but I am not sure of what your point is here.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 06:06 pm
JLNobody wrote:

Frank, sometimes it's very difficult to take you seriously. And I regret that.

Nothing I have said in this thread ought to be difficult to take seriously. We disagree...but I have been honest and reasonable.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 06:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Okay, but I am not sure of what your point is here
Well, that figures, I'm not sure of what you expected.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 03:04 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Okay, but I am not sure of what your point is here
Well, that figures, I'm not sure of what you expected.

You said:

The Bible was written by men, but under God's direction

I asked "How do you know this?"

I expected an answer.
0 Replies