If the soul is mortal why do christians believe in hell?

neologist

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 11:08 pm
@igm,
Wink Wink
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 03:06 pm
Neologist said- "Mortal = when you're dead, you're dead"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're talking about the body, yes it certainly dies and rots, but the soul inside has flown to Jesus if you're a Christian..Smile
He spelt it out thus-"The work God requires is to believe in the one he has sent" (John 6:28 ).
The word "believe" in modern terms can mean "mindmeld", "connect","log onto", "bond with", and if we achieve that connection with Jesus during our lifetime, our soul automatically flies to him through the "Jesus Stagate" when our body dies.
The bottom line is who WOULDN'T want to connect with him anyway, he was a thoroughly nice guy!
An example of the body and soul being totally separate things was when the guy dying on the cross next to Jesus made the connection and said "Jesus remember me", to which Jesus replied "Today you'll be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:41).
See, the guy's body will die on the cross and be slung into a burial pit, but his soul will fly:)

neologist

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:29 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
An example of the body and soul being totally separate things was when the guy dying on the cross next to Jesus made the connection and said "Jesus remember me", to which Jesus replied "Today you'll be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:41).
Read again carefully. No punctuation in Greek. So try "Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise."

Can't you see the problem with reconciling Genesis with the idea of soul immortality? God told Adam and Eve to fill the earth. He said nothing about their assignment being a step to something ethereal. If earth was anything less than desirable, why would legions of angels forsake their relationship with God to sojourn here? It was Satan who suggested immortality. Then when folks started to croak, the immortal soul was invented to explain it. Get a grip Romeo. You have claimed to be a bible scholar.. .. .Right?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:32 pm
There is no soul. There is no Heaven or Hell. We're machines. When you're dead, you're dead and that's all there is to it.
neologist

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:44 pm
@Brandon9000,
Good to see you again, Brandon. I suggest you are right, if by soul you mean some entity that could survive death.

How's Florida this time of year?
gungasnake

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:51 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
So why do the preachers continue to teach the doctrine?

Sadism. They don;t want the demoKKKrats and atheists to learn the thing about getting reincarnated a cockroaches until it's too late for them...
neologist

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:54 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I}So why do the preachers continue to teach the doctrine?[/quote wrote:
Sadism. They don;t want the demoKKKrats and atheists to learn the thing about getting reincarnated a cockroaches until it's too late for them...
Or snakes . .. .
What about snakes???????? EEEEWWW!
Laughing
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:58 pm
Brandon wrote:
Quote:
There is no soul. There is no Heaven or Hell. We're machines. When you're dead, you're dead and that's all there is to it.

Prove it..Wink
neologist

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:08 pm
Sorry I have to hang up for a while. I need some sleep. I'm in the middle of selling survival equipment to the second amendment fans at a show in Centralia, Washington. If any are nearby, visit the fairgrounds, and grandson Joary will demonstrate the finer aspects of fire building. We're the only ones selling ferrocerium. Mention this post for a free gift. Laughing
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:18 pm
Neologist wrote:
Quote:
Read again carefully. No punctuation in Greek. So try "Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise."
Can't you see the problem with reconciling Genesis with the idea of soul immortality? God told Adam and Eve to fill the earth. He said nothing about their assignment being a step to something ethereal. If earth was anything less than desirable, why would legions of angels forsake their relationship with God to sojourn here? It was Satan who suggested immortality. Then when folks started to croak, the immortal soul was invented to explain it. Get a grip Romeo. You have claimed to be a bible scholar.. .. .Right?

No, I've never seriously claimed to be a bible scholar, it's only the feedback i get from my fans who seem to think i am!
Anyway the people who claim to be "scholars" cut no ice with me because a fool with a scholars theological diploma is still just a fool..Smile

Think SIMPLE!
"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus" (Acts 4:13)
Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned and for revealing them to little children"(Matt 11:25-27)

And he had to tell the snooty priests to get their noses out of their heavyweight theology volumes and just glance up to see him right in front of them-"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:39/40)

That applies to us all of us, we have to stay JESUS-CENTRED and not get side-tracked into convoluted theology. Even Paul had to warn people-
"I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)...."Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of our faith" (Heb 12:2)

Jesus was quite clear the soul never dies, so argue it out with him when you meet him..Smile
Jesus said:-"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life" (Matt 25:46)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:29 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

How's Florida this time of year?

Well, Florida is a big place, but Tampa is hot and wet. These days my car reports to me outside temperatures in the afternoon which range from about 88 to 98. By November, the daily highs may be down to the mid 80s. Also, there is a tendency for it to rain for a couple of hours in the late afternoon.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Brandon wrote:
Quote:

Prove it..Wink

I don't have to prove that things which are not in evidence don't exist. Someone who asserts that they do exist has the responsibility to show evidence. I cannot prove that there isn't a civilization in the Alpha Centauri solar system consisting of creatures with three heads, but someone who asserts that there is has the responsibility to support the claim with evidence. It would be a logical mistake to believe that such an alien civilization exists merely because I cannot prove that it doesn't. Someone who believes in it, if he wants his belief to be logically justified, needs to show some evidence that it does.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:48 pm
@Brandon9000,
You say we stay dead, and Jesus says we don't, so who shall we believe, you or him?..Wink
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:59 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

You say we stay dead, and Jesus says we don't, so who shall we believe, you or him?..Wink

I'll rephrase, then. The body seems to be a machine and when the machine breaks there is nothing more apparent. If you wish to assert otherwise, then you are the one responsible to offer evidence. By the way, quoting someone else's statement of opinion is not an argument.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 04:29 am
Brandon wrote:
Quote:
By the way, quoting someone else's statement of opinion is not an argument

But atheists quote Dawkins so why shouldn't I quote Jesus?..Smile
neologist

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 06:50 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Dawkins' superciliousness is not license for you to misquote Jesus.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 05:16 pm
Neologist wrote:
Quote:
Dawkins' superciliousness is not license for you to misquote Jesus

The dictionary says supercilious is 'haughty, pompous ,arrogance, pride, scorn and indifference', so thanks for admitting Dawks has those traits!
(Incidentally just for the record are you an atheist?)
As for your allegation that I misquote Jesus, you're either mistaken or a liar, which is it?..Wink
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 05:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Brandon wrote:
Quote:
By the way, quoting someone else's statement of opinion is not an argument

Most likely atheists quote Dawkin's reasoning. They do not assert that the mere fact that Dawkins gave an opinion itself constitutes an argument. The mere fact that Jesus said something, if he even really did, does not constitute evidence. If you wish to present someone else's argument, it will be judged on its own merits as any argument should be.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 06:39 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon wrote:
Quote:
The mere fact that Jesus said something, if he even really did, does not constitute evidence. If you wish to present someone else's argument, it will be judged on its own merits as any argument should be

If there's no hard evidence, court cases are often decided purely on eyewitness testimony alone.
The whole of Israel and the roman garrison saw and heard Jesus, so are we to discount their eyewitness testimony?
neologist

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 07:50 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
As for your allegation that I misquote Jesus, you're either mistaken or a liar, which is it?..Wink
This could get to be fun. Matthew 25:46 is more properly rendered eternal destruction. Think of the "second death", from which there is no resurrection. Do you need a link?