Accusation of Plagiarism

Fri 10 May, 2013 04:44 pm
Recently I saved a picture I found on the internet and then posted it on a forum for people to use. I was then accused of "Plagiarism" and permenently banned from the forum.

This is what I did;

I took a large picture of a monster and edited it with photoshop. I cut the monster from the background, made it a lot smaller, and saved it into a png format. I then posted it on a game designing website as a resource for people to use in thier projects. I never put the the original designer's name but I did not put my own either. To put it simply, I did not state the creator / artist of the picture, but I did state that it could be used freely as a resource.

My questions are;

Does this class as Plagiarism as I never claimed the picture was designed or created as myself?
Since the picture is inferior to the original as it is smaller, and it does not have the original background, does that make me the owner / creator?
Do I have the right to give permission for others to use my edited picture?

Joe Nation

Fri 10 May, 2013 07:16 pm
Quote:
To put it simply, I did not state the creator / artist of the picture

Plagiarist

Joe(to put it simply)Nation
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 10 May, 2013 07:48 pm
@xxxRedMetalxxx,
Plagiarism is not the main concern here my concern if I was a game designer is that if I did what you suggested and used your posted picture in a game I could had found myself receiving a letter from the real owner lawyer demanding $$$$ under the copyright laws..

Quote:
Do I have the right to give permission for others to use my edited picture?

Not being a lawyer I can not say one way or another for sure but as the answer is not clear you did open any one who used this picture to possible legal problems when they had every right to assume you was the one who created this picture in whole not in part.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Fri 10 May, 2013 11:44 pm
Yes, you broke copyright law. You took someone else's artwork and re-posted it and told other people it was free to use. How would you feel if someone took your car, spray painted it a different color and lent it out to all their friends to drive?

It doesn't matter that you didn't sign your name to it, the artwork belongs to the person who created it. Copy and pasting it with negligible alterations does not make the result your creation. It is still stolen art.

The type of sites you are reffering to usually have a clause in their terms and conditions that states that you are not to post anything that you do not have the right to post. Being banned is pretty standard. You are lucky you didn't get flamed by the other users on the site. You are even more lucky that the owner did not decide to take you to court.
0 Replies