Does "drag queen" refer to "kinky boots"(gays dressed in women's clothing)?

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:13 am

Context:
'Kinky Boots' nabs 13 Tony nominations

A fabulous drag queen edged out a precocious little girl with special powers on Tuesday morning, when nominations for this season's Tony Awards were announced.

More:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/04/29/tony-awards-nominations-live/2116433/

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:29 am
@oristarA,
'Kinky Boots' is apparently the name of a play. A drag queen is a man who dresses in woman's clothing. The term says nothing about sexual orientation.
0 Replies

tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:31 am
@oristarA,
Yes. Kinky Boots is a live musical adaptation of the movie of the same name.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434124/combined
The movie centers around a drag queen which is a male dressed in women's clothing, (though technically that doesn't make them gay as not all drag queens are homosexual).
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:07 am
@oristarA,
So my English-Chinese dictionary failed me.
Thank you both.
contrex

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:34 am
1. Kinky boots

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/leather-thigh-high-boots-high-heel-black-zip-image12_zpsa7fc01af.jpg

2. Drag queen

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/Drag-Queen_zps85e3c7c2.jpg

3. Poster for show called "Kinky Boots"

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/Kinky_Boots_movie_poster_zps2e1316ac.jpg
maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:44 am
@oristarA,
There are no drag queens in China?
oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 12:10 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There are no drag queens in China?

There are a few some, obviously, who are usually considered perverse, a pollution to the word queen.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 12:27 pm
@oristarA,
perverse? pollution?

China hasn't truly entered the 21st century, has it.
oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Good point!
China is still a developing country, anyways.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
China hasn't truly entered the 21st century, has it.

============

Wilcox County High School in Georgia Ends Segregation

Every young man and woman remembers their “senior prom”, whether they went to it or not. There was a lot of pressure. Finding the ‘right’ date was the first step. For the boys it was fairly easy, we had to get a haircut, rent a tuxedo, and of course buy a corsage. The girls searched for just the right dress, and shoes, and looked for hours through the fashion magazines to select the perfect hairstyle.

For those who could not or simply did not go, it was an evening they tried to push out of their minds. And some simply didn’t believe in such events.

But, what if you were told you were absolutely not allowed to attend your senior prom? How would you feel?

Mareshia Rucker is a student at Wilcox County High School. It is located about 160 miles south of Atlanta. This farming community has allowed its approximately 400 students to organize their own senior proms for over 40 years, one for blacks, and one for whites.

Mareshia is a cheerleader, and is active in the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps. When in school, she is simply one of the students. But on prom night she was one of the black students. She was not allowed to attend the prom her white friends were having.

“We were different because we always have been together throughout school,” Mareshia said. “We’ve cheered together at football games. We’ve gone to each other’s houses and spent the night…There was no need in us having two separate [proms.]”

Certain preachers and community leaders are very open about their wish to keep them segregated. Others claim, “it’s just always the way it’s always been.”

Last weekend, Mareshia, 17, another black student, and two white students, held the first ever integrated prom in Wilcox County history. Everyone was invited. Friends lost friends, and some parents were appalled at the idea.

There were white couples, black couples, and mixed couples, all dressed in beautiful gowns and pressed tuxedos.

Student Alexis Miller said, “I feel like we are living Martin Luther King’s dream”.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 02:22 am
@JTT,
Your post would have had a lot more impact with a date.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 05:34 am
@izzythepush,
The first integrated prom in Wilcox Georgia was last week.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 05:46 am
@maxdancona,
Thanks Max, that's really quite astounding until you realise that H20Man is from Georgia.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 05:59 am
@izzythepush,
That's not really fair Izzy. In its defense, Georgia also thinks that H20man is backwards.
JTT

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 08:02 am
@maxdancona,
That's not really fair, Max. You guys are always great about pointing fingers at others when you're so far from being the saints you like to make the world think you are.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 09:00 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Last weekend, Mareshia, 17, another black student, and two white students, held the first ever integrated prom in Wilcox County history. Everyone was invited. Friends lost friends, and some parents were appalled at the idea.

There were white couples, black couples, and mixed couples, all dressed in beautiful gowns and pressed tuxedos.

Student Alexis Miller said, “I feel like we are living Martin Luther King’s dream”.

What does "friends lost friends" mean?
Does "pressed tuxedo" mean "tight tuxedo"?
JTT

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 09:35 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
What does "friends lost friends" mean?

People who were willing to defy the unwritten rule against racially integrated proms were rejected as friends by those who didn't want or like the idea of racially integrated proms.

Quote:
Does "pressed tuxedo" mean "tight tuxedo"?

Nope, it means this, Ori. If you can access it.

http://www.anderson-sheppard.co.uk/thenotebook/pressing-a-suit/
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 07:09 pm
@contrex,
Excellent!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 09:44 pm
Is this man in silver strait jacket a drag queen?

http://ru.fishki.net/picsw/042013/30/pics/pics-0049.jpg
JTT

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 10:04 pm
@oristarA,
The whole front row is, including Contrex, who seems to have had a little mishap.

Smile
0 Replies