Can you help me edit this essay Please?

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 06:24 pm
Nordstrom Scholarship essay question:
As the generation that has come of age with the advent of social media, how would you describe its impact on you and how do you see it impacting the next generation.
ITS DUE BY THE FIRST OF MAY SO PLEASE HELP Very Happy

Since the beginning of the industrial revolution, during the 1750s, technology has not only impacted our society in unbelievable ways, but is a big part of our lives. Today the internet is a gateway to the rest of the world. Through social media, we can converse with people more than miles away, and obtain information about the world that surrounds us. Who knew that someone in the United States could write to their cousins in England and receive the message within seconds? Who knew that you could even see their faces while talking to them? Sadly; however where there are pro, there are also cons. Social media has also developed a large negative impact for the people of our generation today, and likely to affect our future generations as well.
Overall I find social media as helpful, yet hurtful. Social media allows the distancing nations to connect together at a whole new level. Facebook, for instance, is a widely used social networking system that allows people from all over the world to create profiles and develop their page. Other users can view and comment on their Facebook page, connecting them with the individual whether they reside in the Americans, Europe, Asia or Africa. Another amazing feature of Facebook is that it imitates the format of a timeline. Pictures and statement of the person are put in order of the timeline, revealing to others how the individual matures over time. This gives others the ability to see and understand the person’s character, development, and personality. YouTube, another popular social media network, is something that assists me almost every day. If have difficulty in grasping class concepts, I know I can go on YouTube at home and search it. Most times, YouTube does effectively help me understand concepts. In additions, teachers even also use YouTube videos to teach in class. Various times I have had teachers assign me to watch YouTube videos as a homework assignment. Based on my current knowledge about social media, I believe that the next generation be exposed to social media at a very young age. Social media will also become widely available and largely advanced, sharing information and connecting people faster and efficiently. However, because of this young exposure, I predict that in the future, children will become more socially awkward, and dependant solely on social media. Face-to face communication will soon reach extinction. Even today it is apparent that people find it easier to write things online, than it is to physically communicate with them. Not only will it affect physical communication, but it will also affect people’s intellect. Society is becoming easier to manipulate. This is because people are more entertained by social concerns, and have fewer interests in aspects such as politics and science. Moreover, since social media also makes information is just readily available, they simply believe what they hear. This causes the spread of ignorance.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,294 • Replies: 1
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 10:08 pm
@IreAkinsiku,
That's a huge jump from the 1750's to today. You say that the industrial revolution impacted our society in unbelievable ways, but you don't explain how and why.

0 Replies