Why I am an athiest

FBM

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 07:10 am
@fresco,
I like that. It reminds me that we tend to think that there is one subjective world and a separate objective one. That is in doubt. Wink
fresco

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 08:35 am
@FBM,
Spot on !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:02 am
@fresco,
Wait, wait . . . let me do some nitpicking (oh Dog, there's on in my arm pit!).

I believe Contrex was referring to the author of the thread, not to me.
fresco

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 09:34 am
@Setanta,
Point taken.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 11:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I believe Contrex was referring to the author of the thread, not to me.

I was indeed.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 08:10 pm
Having waded through much of these oh-so-clever responses and the silliness of the OP, I would like for an atheist to tell me why they are so inclined?

Let me try and spare us a bunch of shite by acknowledging that atheism is by no means nonsensical. I'm not calling out atheists and so unless you insist upon being an idiot, please don't respond with crap about faith in Tooth Fairies and the like. If you don't want to be insulted, don't insult.

I would classify myself as a "believer (in God)" and yet I find myself attracted to atheisim from time to time, to time.

For those atheists who never have a doubt, can you justify your certitude, and if so how, or are you just being a tool?

Please, please, please restrain yourselves from childish assertions about burning in Hell and Tooth Fairies.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 08:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I have the answer for you! Go to hell.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 08:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm speechless in the face of such idiocy.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 04:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Having waded through much of these oh-so-clever responses and the silliness of the OP, I would like for an atheist to tell me why they are so inclined?

I can't speak for others, but for me it's because the world as I see it, simply through observing and understanding nature, is more beautiful, more engaging, more useful, more interesting, more functional and more meaningful than anything I've ever felt through any religion.

For me, the concept of "being an atheist" isn't something I stive for, it's simply one label among many that describes the perspective I have on reality.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:20 pm
@rosborne979,
Thank you.

It doesn't really explain why you don't believe in God as much as it explains that you don't feel the need to believe in God.

Of course feeling that there is no need to believe in God doesn't mean he's not out there; perfectly OK with you not believing in him.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:31 pm
these oh-so-clever responses
How can you expect to get serious answers using that language?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It doesn't really explain why you don't believe in God as much as it explains that you don't feel the need to believe in God.

Which "God" are you talking about exactly? There are hundreds if not thousands of different "God" concepts and I probably have slightly different reasons for not believing in each one. I would have to know which one exactly you are asking about before I can answer your questions.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:09 pm
@rosborne979,
God, The Creator; my god.

No offense intended but atheists tend to focus on the most absurd notions of God, the ones that are supposed to protect all babies from harm, the ones that cry vengence and havoc; the ones that only the child-like and the warped believe in.

Toss out all of the silly attributes people invest in God and please explain why you don't believe in a supreme being that has done nothing more than creating all that exists.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Toss out all of the silly attributes people invest in God and please explain why you don't believe in a supreme being that has done nothing more than creating all that exists.

I'm pretty neutral about that one. But Occam's Razor puts it slightly on the short end of the stick I suppose. Mostly it just isn't necessary.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:37 pm
@rosborne979,
Then you're not an atheist.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:40 pm
@Ocg3mvpo,
'I have my reasons for not believing'

O: more precisely, you have reason for believing there is no god. Atheism is a belief like any other, founded largely on our sense of self. Your reasons seems to be to kill the Father and exist as a Man. Or should I say as an adult?

Growing up is a very good reason for changing belief systems. Better than most in my view.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Not believing in something is not "belief" by any stretch of the imagination.
Some believe in UFO's. Those who don't believe in UFO's is not based on "belief."
There's no belief in something that can't be shown to exist.
Not believing in Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, and satan, isn't based on belief.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:15 pm
@rosborne979,
And actually the existence of a creator God is right up Occam's alley.

Just try to explain how all of this began without the concept of a creator. The assumptions abound.
neologist

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
And actually the existence of a creator God is right up Occam's alley.

Just try to explain how all of this began without the concept of a creator. The assumptions abound.
I'll go with you on that. But expect the naysayers to stomp on us for it. Very Happy
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:53 pm
@neologist,
I've never argued that atheism is absurd, let alone Satan's plan, but I would like those who claim to be atheists to admit that theirs is a belief.