Why I am an athiest

FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Exactly how many stars exist in the universe?

That is an experience of not knowing.

Is it possible to live without beliefs?

There's another one.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:51 pm
@FBM,
Olivier wrote,
Quote:
Guesses are based on assumptions.

You,
Quote:
No. Based on the experience of not knowing.

What exactly is "based on the experience of not knowing?"

Sounds like bull **** to me! Can you provide some credible source for this "belief?"
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:52 pm
@FBM,
We're not asking about stars. Talk about straw man; you're full of it!

Just in case you're not aware of what "bull ****" is, here's the definition.
Quote:
bull·**** (b l sh t ) Vulgar Slang. n. 1. Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language. 2. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere. 3. Insolent talk or behavior.
FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You don't seem to understand the difference between a straw man and an example. Did I attribute the question about stars to you or anyone else?
FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Can you provide some credible source for this "belief?"

What belief?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:55 pm
@FBM,
Your example is irrelevant to the discussion.
FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Your example is irrelevant to the discussion.

It's a perfect example of experiencing one's own lack of knowledge.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:57 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
No. Based on the experience of not knowing. You should be able to find the definition of "guess" and "assumption" in practically any decent English dictionary. Guessing requires the awareness of not knowing. Assuming is thinking that you do know without checking up on it first.

Pathetic. How could the "experience of not knowing" inform your guess? That is absurd. What in "not knowing" don't you understand?

What inform your guesses, like for the rest of us, are perceptions, computations, fuzzy or precise planning, and moral codes. You use your brain like the rest of us in fact.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:57 pm
@FBM,
You wrote, so I asked,
Quote:
What exactly is "based on the experience of not knowing?"

If you base anything on experience, you must have some belief as to what "experience of not knowing" means.

Maybe you don't. You just make straw man statements without any meaning, because you don't understand what you're saying.

If you can't clarify statements you make, we're trying to have a discussion with an idiot!

Quote:
id·i·ot
/ˈidēət/
Noun
A stupid person.
A mentally handicapped person.
FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have the experience of it. Why is it necessary to formulate beliefs about that experience?
0 Replies

Olivier5

@FBM,
My claims are strongly supported by empirical facts and logic. Yours are ballony.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

@FBM,
You wrote,
Quote:
It's a perfect example of experiencing one's own lack of knowledge.

You are the perfect example. You can't even answer simple questions.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 09:59 pm
@Olivier5,
If I had enough information to make a decision, it wouldn't be a guess.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:01 pm
Back to name-calling and playground politics, I see. If you can construct a simple hypothetical syllogism to demonstrate how you arrived at the conclusion that it's impossible to live without beliefs, that would clarify a lot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:05 pm
@FBM,
Naw, I just call em like I see em. You fit the description. You know, call a spade a spade?

We have made every attempt to have a discussion with you, but you don't answer questions, make statements you can explain, and you believe we're the ones who doesn't understand the subject of "belief."

From everything you have said, we can conclude that you have "belief" even if you deny it.

Quote:
be·lief
/biˈlēf/
Noun
An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
Something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.
Synonyms
faith - trust - confidence - persuasion - credence

Yup, you're an idiot! I'm otta here.
FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There are two of you often posting very rapidly and sometimes I may not see every question. Which have I missed? I noticed that you failed to answer a number of my questions, also. Pot calling the kettle black?
Olivier5

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:25 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
There are two of you often posting very rapidly and sometimes I may not see every question. Which have I missed

It's not those you missed, it's those you tried to answer, and showed a grave lack of understanding of any simple question. You are indeed more dense than deep. I'm out too.

Keep watching that video.
FBM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 10:26 pm
@Olivier5,
I don't blame you for giving up. It's tiresome to have holes in your arguments repeatedly pointed out. Peace. I'm also glad it's over.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:21 am
You suffer fools with more patience than i do.
FBM

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 03:37 am
@Setanta,
Thanks. I was just taken aback that they would spray the place with one logical fallacy after another.

Wait...

Eh...I'm assuming you meant that for me. I just realized that you could be talking to them and I'm the fool. Wink

On the other hand, they didn't demonstrate much patience, so...