Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 12:00 pm
@neologist,
Hee hee...my bad.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 12:34 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Hume's Problem of Induction is pretty convincing. On the other hand, in all the amassed data collected by scientists over the centuries, there is yet nothing whatsoever, to my knowledge, that suggests such a being either exists or is necessary to explain observed phenomena.

Popper's solution of the induction works for me, by and large: science is based on doubt. People who understand and value science as a pursuit of truth should understand that its claims to truth are inherently premissed on the possibility of their own falsification. Every believer once in a while doubt the existence of God. Non-believer with a scientific outlook should not be less inclined to doubt than believers, now should they? They too should doubt once in a while.

Besides, science discovered many marvelous things, pleasing to the eye and soul, and is only starting to find convincing explanations for most of them. We've come up with no definitive answer about how the universe and life work that I'm aware of. There are many things we don't know, and there probably always will... Many scientists believe in God. There's no real contradiction here.

Quote:
A life without beliefs would not make a robot of you. I don't think anyone views me as robotic, and I've done a lot of self-scrutiny to rid myself of beliefs. Lack of beliefs does not entail lack of emotions, lack of humor, lack of creativity, lack of curiosity, etc.

At the very least you operate under the same basic assumptions than the rest of us: I exist as a "conscience" able to learn and cabable of introspection; there is world out there; my senses tell me something usefull and pertinent and more or less precise about this world, most of the times; my reason works, i.e. logic is useful and effective, by and large; there is such a thing as time; etc. The basic axioms without which mental life as we know it can't be sustained.

fresco

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 03:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
At the very least you operate under the same basic assumptions than the rest of us: I exist as a "conscience" able to learn and cabable of introspection; there is world out there; my senses tell me something usefull and pertinent and more or less precise about this world, most of the times; my reason works, i.e. logic is useful and effective, by and large; there is such a thing as time; etc. The basic axioms without which mental life as we know it can't be sustained.

I am an atheist, but anyone with an interest in the nature of "consciousness" could drive a coach and horses through this paragraph, especially its reference to logic and "basic axioms". The fallacy here is the implication that "theistic belief" is somehow based "inadequate logic" and that exposure of such inadequacies is supportive of atheism. But this simplistically promotes "traditional logic" to the status of an objective arbiter of "thought processes" when it is merely a mode of thinking limited to particular functional paradigms. Indeed, such an approach has absolutely no answer to the catch-all claim by believers that knowledge, consciousness, and logic are "in the gift of God".

I re-iterate therefore that a reason for "atheism" if one is required must be based on dysfunctionality not illogicality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 04:53 pm
@fresco,
You wrote,
Quote:
that knowledge, consciousness, and logic are "in the gift of God".

ROFLMAO

Logic? No way, jose. Illogical is more like it! You can't go around making statements that are ridiculous on the surface such as you quoted above.

First of all, you need to prove there's a god. You can't; that's a FACT of logic.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 04:55 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
I am an atheist, but anyone with an interest in the nature of "consciousness" could drive a coach and horses through this paragraph

By all means... even atheists have a conscience.

Quote:
The fallacy here is the implication that "theistic belief" is somehow based "inadequate logic" and that exposure of such inadequacies is supportive of atheism.

??? I never implied anything like that.

Quote:
But this simplistically promotes "traditional logic" to the status of an objective arbiter of "thought processes" when it is merely a mode of thinking limited to particular functional paradigms.

Granted. There are other thought processes and logic has its limits. But logic is only one example of a thought process we take for granted. We all assume our reason (if you prefer) kinda works; even the most deluded among us.

Quote:
Indeed, such an approach has absolutely no answer to the catch-all claim by believers that knowledge, consciousness, and logic are "in the gift of God".

This question will go away the day a team of scientists will be able to engineer a self-conscious mind.

Quote:
I re-iterate therefore that a reason for "atheism" if one is required must be based on dysfunctionality not illogicality.

I didn't get the memo.
neologist

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 06:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You wrote,
Quote:
that knowledge, consciousness, and logic are "in the gift of God".
ROFLMAO

Logic? No way, jose. Illogical is more like it! You can't go around making statements that are ridiculous on the surface such as you quoted above.

First of all, you need to prove there's a god. You can't; that's a FACT of logic.
Uuhhh! Didn't Fresco just say he was an atheist? Why would you need to have him prove the existence of God?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 06:31 pm
@neologist,
Didn't you see what he wrote about "logic....gift of god?"
neologist

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 06:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Didn't you see what he wrote about "logic....gift of god?"
Didn't you note the context?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 07:09 pm
@neologist,
No, I didn't. What was the context?
I can be dense. Nothing new.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 07:38 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
If that is your definition of my belief, You will have to live with it.
Based on what you've shown me of your view, how else would I define it? Are you implying that your concept of God is not supernatural?
As far as I can perceive, Jehovah operates according to what we call natural law.

You're dodging the point again. How it "operates" is not relevant to the point of your previous comment. It's pretty clear since you've given "it" a Name (Jehovah), that you don't think of God as simply an aspect of nature like the wind or gravity or something. You think of it as a supreme being with self awareness. And unless you're implying that such a being derives from nature and is merely an aspect of nature (which I doubt is really how you feel about it), then it's by definition super-natural. And from that we can once again determine that the main difference in our positions on this is that you believe in the supernatural and I don't.

If you want to believe in magic that's fine. And if you want to use magic to explain things that's fine too. But don't think for a moment that those viewpoints are in any way supported by Occam's Razor because they are not. The presence of a supreme being is in no way a less complex solution than a purely natural sequence of events, even if the originating events and conditions are unknown.
neologist

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 07:50 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
If you want to believe in magic that's fine. And if you want to use magic to explain things that's fine too. But don't think for a moment that those viewpoints are in any way supported by Occam's Razor because they are not. The presence of a supreme being is in no way a less complex solution than a purely natural sequence of events, even if the originating events and conditions are unknown.
True, I did not add to my claim that I believed this originating event had a personality. Why should that make a difference? Does the idea that a person may have free will not fit with a purely natural sequence of events? If indeed, the idea of 'sequence' is in harmony with reality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 08:00 pm
@fresco,
fresco, My bad; please accept my apology for my sloppy reading.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 08:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Popper's solution of the induction works for me, by and large: science is based on doubt. People who understand and value science as a pursuit of truth should understand that its claims to truth are inherently premissed on the possibility of their own falsification. Every believer once in a while doubt the existence of God. Non-believer with a scientific outlook should not be less inclined to doubt than believers, now should they? They too should doubt once in a while.

Quote:
Popper accepted Hume's conclusion that inductive inference is not rationally justifiable. He takes the problem of induction to have no adequate solution. But he rejects the further conclusion that science therefore yields no knowledge of the nature of the world. With Hume, Popper holds that no number of cases offered as confirmation of a scientific hypothesis yields knowledge of the truth of that hypothesis. But just one observation that disagrees with a hypothesis can refute that hypothesis. So while empirical inquiry cannot provide knowledge of the truth of hypotheses through induction, it can provide knowledge of the falsity of hypotheses through deduction.

In place of induction, Popper offers the method of conjecture and refutation.

Offering an alternative is not the same as solving the original problem.

Quote:
Besides, science discovered many marvelous things, pleasing to the eye and soul, and is only starting to find convincing explanations for most of them. We've come up with no definitive answer about how the universe and life work that I'm aware of. There are many things we don't know, and there probably always will... Many scientists believe in God. There's no real contradiction here.

"Many" is a subjective term.

Quote:
Asked about their beliefs in God, 34% chose “I don’t believe in God,” while 30% chose, “I do not know if there is a God, and there is no way to find out.” That’s 64% who are atheist or agnostic, as compared to just 6% of the general public.

An additional 8% opted for, “I believe in a higher power, but it is not God.” That makes 72% of scientists who are explicitly non-theistic in their religious views (compared to 16% of the public generally.) Pretty stark.

From the other side, it is just 9% of scientists (compared to 63% of the public), who chose, “I have no doubts about God’s existence.” An additional 14% of scientists chose, “I have some doubts, but I believe in God.” Thus, it is just 25% of scientists who will confidently assert their belief in God (80% of the general public.)

http://scienceblogs.com/evolutionblog/2010/05/20/scientists-and-religion/

Quote:

That's interesting. You've made a list of many of the beliefs that I have specifically examined and jettisoned over the past few years. I don't believe any of those things. Identify "self," for example. Put your finger on one. Bring a sample to the lab for analysis. Same for consciousness, time, etc. Think Buddhist anatta. It's not a belief, it's something anyone can investigate for him/herself.

Also, keep in mind that belief is the assertion that something is true despite a lack of credible evidence for it. If my first-person experience is that logic has proven useful, then that's not belief. There is empirical evidence for it. To take it further and make an absolute metaphysical truth statement that goes beyond first-person experience would be suspect, and I try to police myself in that respect. Think Pyrrhonian skepticism.

(I forgot to copy the link for my first quote. I'll fetch it if you like.)
Olivier5

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 09:37 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Offering an alternative is not the same as solving the original problem.

Induction is logically invalid, and that solves it logically. The part that Popper missed though, is that induction is nevertheless necessary to scientific progress. New theories need to be imagined, or inferred from prior evidence before they can be tested. That's perhaps where science meets art.

Quote:
From the other side, it is just 9% of scientists (compared to 63% of the public), who chose, “I have no doubts about God’s existence.” An additional 14% of scientists chose, “I have some doubts, but I believe in God.” Thus, it is just 25% of scientists who will confidently assert their belief in God (80% of the general public.)

Ok, good and interesting data. I stand corrected.

Quote:
That's interesting. You've made a list of many of the beliefs that I have specifically examined and jettisoned over the past few years. I don't believe any of those things. Identify "self," for example. Put your finger on one. Bring a sample to the lab for analysis. Same for consciousness, time, etc.

Space and time do not exist to you? You jettisoned any sense of self? You mean you don't actually exist as an individual? That's indeed very interesting... Whom I am talking to, may I ask?
FBM

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 10:50 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Space and time do not exist to you? You jettisoned any sense of self? You mean you don't actually exist as an individual? That's indeed very interesting... Whom I am talking to, may I ask?

This is where we have to parse terms carefully. We're specifically talking about beliefs, not the existence of actual space, time or the first person. I can attest to the first-hand experience of a sense of self, but I don't make the leap that that sense of self entails an actual entity. The sense of self can be experienced and even tested (neuroscientists have done some interesting stuff with this), but what is its referent, exactly?

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-illusion-of-the-self2
fresco

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 12:06 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
This question will go away the day a team of scientists will be able to engineer a self-conscious mind.

Laughing
I suggest that we atheists need to divorce ourselves from such musings of naive realists. As one eminent cognitive scientist (Rosch) puts it, " the findings of so-called "brain science" have so far been equvalent to correlating knee-joint wear with a belief in prayer" !

And following FBM's comment, consciousness studies also suggest that regarding your last question:
..."who am I talking to may I ask ?"....
the ontological status of such "I's" may be a transient epiphenomenon of communicative contexts.
Setanta

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 02:57 am
Then again, maybe not.
roger

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 03:00 am
@Setanta,
I would never dispute such a statement.

Not without dragging out a dictionary, anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 03:08 am
I dispute it because he's simply exchanging his world view for another, and claiming it is an intellectually superior world view based on appeals to academic authority. It is, essentially, a house of cards, the cards of which are long chains of unsubstantiated statements from authority. It's what Fresco does best.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 04:34 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
True, I did not add to my claim that I believed this originating event had a personality. Why should that make a difference?

Because there's a big difference between a God with a personality and a God which is just a force of nature. One might be argued to be "natural", but the other could not. Your previous post made it unclear how you perceive your God.

And I don't see how free will relates to the application of Occam's Razor at all.
0 Replies