Would it be wrong to pay a kid for volunteer work?

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:28 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

You were the one all concerned about proper word usage!

According to Merriam Webster

Quote:
crowd·sourc·ing
noun \ˈkrau̇d-ˌsȯr-siŋ\
Definition of CROWDSOURCING
: the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people and especially from the online community rather than from traditional employees or suppliers
Origin of CROWDSOURCING
2crowd + outsourcing
First Known Use: 2006

Welcome to the 21st century.

That is one stupid phucking word, 21st century or not.

Sounds like one used by people with their heads up their ass and can't think for themselves or make a common sense decision. It's a word made up by someone to justify the fact they have a job.

The 21st century, where we need an app to tell us what 15 percent of a bill is, or how to make a ham sandwich.

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:46 pm
@boomerang,
"Crowdsourcing," huh? That's a new one to me. Guess I should have read those last few issues of "Wired" I received. Thanks, boomer! I'll be using it next week.

We should start a new thread...called "Trend Updates." I'm serious.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:53 pm
@Eva,
Do it!

I read some IT news type sites, often nearly by mistake, through news sources, whatever, and we all know I'm a complete idiot re computers, much less more elevated endeavors in their usage.

I presume, cough, that most have seen the word crowdsourcing recently related to identifying bombers, or not identifying bombers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:56 pm
@Eva,
Crowdsourcing is very much what Abuzz was originally supposed to be about - it was supposed to be a beehive of information (for librarians to begin with ... or something like that).

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Abuzz'+Beehive+Selected+by+Customers+Including+Micro+Modeling,...-a054585396

My employer uses a system very much like the old Abuzz in its intranet to share information/crowdsource/brainstorm.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:57 pm
@Eva,
Do it!

(But be forewarned that you might piss some people off with words they don't like.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:07 pm
OK then, I will!

But I don't intend it to be just for new words or phrases.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:41 pm
I was thinking about word use and "volunteer"....

We call our army a "volunteer army" and we pay them.

So I looked up the word "volunteer"

According to Merriam Webster:

Quote:
1vol·un·teer
noun \ˌvä-lən-ˈtir\
Definition of VOLUNTEER
: a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service: as
a : one who enters into military service voluntarily
b (1) : one who renders a service or takes part in a transaction while having no legal concern or interest (2) : one who receives a conveyance or transfer of property without giving valuable consideration

So, actually, Mo could be considered a volunteer in the situation I first presented.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:46 pm
@boomerang,
aha!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:48 pm
@boomerang,
Or you could consider Mo a conscript.
Mame

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:49 pm
@boomerang,
Looks like you've (finally) found an answer to your original question, then.

But I want to ask a question re on your "I'm not a natural" comment... what does this mean? Is it because he's adopted and you're not the 'natural' mother or because you don't feel like a natural mother?

Because from my POV, we're all the same, adoptive mothers and birth mothers (none of us really know what we're doing! lol), so I'm really not getting that comment. We can read and read and read, and ask and ask and ask, but it's really all about the particular dynamics of THAT child and THAT (or THOSE) parents, at that juncture in time, in that space. It's really all a guessing game, with instincts.
boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 05:15 pm
@Mame,
Oh no. Biology doesn't mean much to me.

I mean that I'm not naturally maternal. Kids were never on my radar. I never expected to be raising one and I have to learn this stuff since I don't feel like it's instinctive for me.

I do rely a lot on research. I read a LOT anyway so learning how to do things by reading about how to do things is instinctive for me.

Also, I don't have any shame in asking questions and taking other opinions into consideration to try to figure out what's best for Mo. (Frankly, I think more parents should question their ideas instead of relying on "I turned out okay so it must be okay")

I know I overthink too many things but I give myself some rope when it comes to Mo. So much of his early life had to be undone. I don't want to mess up this part of it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 05:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Hehehe.

That's it! He might be conscripted into service this summer!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 07:28 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
But then we all wouldn't be able to go through all this mental masterbation about whether to give the kid 10 bucks for doing something.

Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love. (Woody Allen)
0 Replies

ganterro

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 03:20 am
@boomerang,
Pearlylustre: 100% agree!
0 Replies