Would it be wrong to pay a kid for volunteer work?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:57 pm
@boomerang,
I've been thinking about the pros (hah!) and cons re the golf course. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be an insurance liability, and maybe so. Then I thought, well, maybe he could work with the golf maintenance crew and you could pay him. Seconds later, I caught on that it's the same story, even if the course people would be ok with it.

Hmm, maybe those people who like him there might have some job ideas on their own.

Hmm again. What's the legal age for working in Oregon? when I was a kid I got a job in a hospital when I turned 16, then (in another millennium far away) the minimum legal age for jobs like that.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, on the studies, those percentages weren't all so far apart, and I too am not too impressed with the import - but then I didn't read the studies.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:05 pm
when I was a kid my dad would spread it around work that his kid was looking for odd jobs during the summer and my mom handled getting me there...is this an option?
boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:12 pm
@ossobuco,
The legal age is 14 but the type of work they can do is limited.

Mo's been bugging my friend, B, a chef and restauranteur, about an "internship" but B says Mo will need to wait a couple of years.

I'm thinking at the golf course he could just make himself useful and that might lead to something. I don't golf so I don't really know what all goes on there. Polishing golf clubs? Filling buckets with balls? Sweeping the driving range decks? I don't really know.
boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Maybe. Mr. B deals mostly with construction workers though and Mo isn't old enough for those kinds of jobs.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:22 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Maybe. Mr. B deals mostly with construction workers though and Mo isn't old enough for those kinds of jobs.

more like yard work, cleaning, stacking wood, and when older painting and babysitting. a lot of it was the charity "helping Doug's boy" but I did not know it at the time.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:30 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Boomer, no offence, but you research child-rearing / parenting to death. I couldn't care less what this or that study says - the outcome depends on the study and the researchers. I've worked with many idiotic researchers in my time and have no faith in what researchers say unless I'm familiar with them or the studies have been peer-reviewed.

Edit: and for every study that says X, there's another one that says Y.

But... this is all off-topic. I think you should just go with your instincts (instead of studies) unless you think you're way off. Every situation is different, and for different reasons. You and Mo are unique... do what's right for the two of you.

OMG I'm so glad you said this mame. If I said it I'd be on an even higher horse.

I guess some people have to read the directions when having to heat up a can of soup.

boom....don't you ever do anything about mo without reading what "experts" have to say....and what all the experts say?

sheesh.

There's such a thing as making another person overly reliant on you. Why not let mo figure out what he wants to do, and if it doesn't work out, or he screws up it's not the end of the world, and a learning experience for him. Might be an even more valuable/fun experience because it didn't involve someone hovering over him.

Whether you agree or not, you really give the impression you hover over everything the kid does and thinks.

You might, and I'm sure will disagree, but a lot of the stuff you make so important is really small potatoes, and hard to see why it's taking up any mental space at all.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:33 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Mo's been bugging my friend, B, a chef and restauranteur, about an "internship" but B says Mo will need to wait a couple of years.

can part of Mo's summer involve cooking classes - not kid cooking classes - adult level
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:39 pm
@chai2,
Why do you care what I use my "mental space" for? I've said it before -- you aren't required to participate.

You really don't know anything about my life other than what I post on here. I have questions about parenting, I'm not particularly a "natural" at it. I crowdsource ideas and this crowd typically comes up with some good ones. They have today.

Don't like it? Get lost!
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:40 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Why not let mo figure out what he wants to do, and if it doesn't work out, or he screws up it's not the end of the world

with a standing offer of free "mom's taxi service"...... hopefully.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:41 pm
Maybe to having Mr. B spread the word. I'll talk it over with him and see if he can think of some things Mo could be put to work doing.

And maybe to cooking classes. I tried to get him to do that over spring break and he wouldn't (I guess it's like camp). There might be an angle I could work though....
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:50 pm
@boomerang,
car washing, garage organizing, and weed pulling were always popular jobs at our house....and were massively over paid jobs.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 01:58 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Why do you care what I use my "mental space" for? I've said it before -- you aren't required to participate.

You really don't know anything about my life other than what I post on here. I have questions about parenting, I'm not particularly a "natural" at it. I crowdsource ideas and this crowd typically comes up with some good ones. They have today.

Don't like it? Get lost!

Crowdsource....oh jesus, is that the latest buzzword?

Not particularly a natural? I'd say not at all one. You've had mo for how many years now and you still can't figure out some of this ****?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 02:04 pm
@chai2,
Masturbation is a poor metaphor for something that we are all doing together.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 02:06 pm
@boomerang,
Finding golf balls? The sweeping, etc., could work.

I didn't say all that right. I didn't mean that he couldn't/shouldn't work there and you pay him; I meant it that it might cut out the insurance liability question - maybe for insurance purposes he's a kid that hangs out and helps. If they let him golf there, maybe there wouldn't be a problem with that.
roger

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 02:09 pm
@chai2,
This is what we do chai. We through up an idea, consider everything that comes along, and make our own decision.

Crowd sourcing? The old buzzword was brainstorming, and nothing was too silly to bring up. Sometimes, the weirdest ideas inspire something entirely different. I'm certainly asked questions without the slightest commitment to accepting everything or nothing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 02:24 pm
@ossobuco,
adds, but, that would amount on the face of it to the same situation you first posted about. What I didn't say was, that's all right with me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 02:32 pm
@chai2,
You were the one all concerned about proper word usage!

According to Merriam Webster

Quote:
crowd·sourc·ing
noun \ˈkrau̇d-ˌsȯr-siŋ\
Definition of CROWDSOURCING
: the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people and especially from the online community rather than from traditional employees or suppliers
Origin of CROWDSOURCING
2crowd + outsourcing
First Known Use: 2006

Welcome to the 21st century.
Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:23 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

The legal age is 14 but the type of work they can do is limited.

My daughter (17) and most of her friends have had jobs since they were 14 (legal age here is 14 and 9 mths) - they just take their resumes around different places. Supermarkets and fast food places seem the most popular. My daughter was lucky that she was introduced to a job at a local Asian restaurant which has been a wonderful experience for her - lovely people, flexible, and she's saved buckets of money. She's waitressing and dealing with take-away orders. Maybe a kitchenhand job somewhere would be a more likely starting point at this age than an 'internship'.
boomerang

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:26 pm
@Pearlylustre,
He's only 12 so he can't do restaurant work just yet.

But he IS a pretty good cook. He will probably be able to land an unpaid internship cooking in a few years.