This Fetus Protection Bill Lights Up Another Problem....

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:16 am
Although I like the idea of another bullet in the gun to prosecute scumbags who would commit the sort of crime that would kill or maim an unborn child as well as it's mother, I hate to see it pass because I believe it is merely a back door entrance to making abortion illegal again, and although believe it or not I have always been more pro life I keep my mouth shut about it because it's not me that has to be pregnant and IMO it's damn sure not an issue the government has any business being involved in. It's certainly too difficult an issue for me to take a black or white position on I'm afraid.

An equally if not more important issue for me is what a pity that my government has lost so much of my trust that I question the motives of everything they do, and do not believe a damn word they say, even when it's something I agree with at first glance. Crying or Very sad

I thought the republicans were the party of less intrusive government. That's a joke, just not a funny one.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040326/D81HON200.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:26 am
yep, the nation is threatened by rogue terrorist organizations, the economy staggers along bleeding jobs like a stuck pig, our poorest become poorer and sicker by the day without income or any access to decent housing or healthcare, the world watchs our boots sinking deeper into the mire that is Iraq and our Senate sends down this very important legislation. Shocked Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:31 am
Joe Nation wrote:
yep, the nation is threatened by rogue terrorist organizations, the economy staggers along bleeding jobs like a stuck pig, our poorest become poorer and sicker by the day without income or any access to decent housing or healthcare, the world watchs our boots sinking deeper into the mire that is Iraq and our Senate sends down this very important legislation. Shocked Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I would be willing to bet that on close examination alll these guys minored in pickpocket and distraction 101.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:40 am
It's no secret that George "aWol" Bush and his loyalists are committed to reversing Roe v. Wade.

Although I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single member of the Dallas Country Club willing to adopt a minority infant born with severe developmental and/or physical disabilities.

Let alone a child born HIV positive.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:42 am
"Discreet Abortions" would also be acceptable, though certtainly not for the "'hep" who should know their place and do what they are told.....
0 Replies

ConstantlyQuestioning

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:10 am
Quote:
I question the motives of everything they do, and do not believe a damn word they say, even when it's something I agree with at first glance.

That's the definition of a good citizen Bear :wink:

Quote:
I have always been more pro life I keep my mouth shut about it because it's not me that has to be pregnant and IMO it's damn sure not an issue the government has any business being involved in.

My sentiments as well.

Quote:
It's certainly too difficult an issue for me to take a black or white position on I'm afraid.

The main problem with the abortion debate, IMO, is the disagreement as to when life begins. I think both extremes are wrong. For example, I don't think a well developed fetus is just a "clump of cells"; but I also don't believe that a freshly joined egg and sperm cell is a human being either.

My view is that abortion is an ugly and sometimes tramatizing procedure that should be used only in the most dire of circumstances (rape, incest, molestation) and as early as possible.

edited for spelling
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:12 am
This is really a tough one.
If I were pregnant, happily expecting, and somebody harmed me so that my fetus did not survive, I might consider it murder. But I'm not sure we should have laws about that. It's a real can of worms, and you're right, it's just another back door for those who want to overturn Roe V Wade. Remember the story recently about the woman charged with murder for refusing a c-section? Here's a great article on that:
Eroding the rights of pregnant women
By Ellen Goodman, 3/25/2004
http://www.portsmouth-nh.net/Media/BostonGlobe.htm
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 10:53 am
suzy:

Great link. Very informative for us guys.

Thanks,

Titus
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
You're welcome Titus. Informative for us women as well! I liked her comparisons, because it is such a slippery slope.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 02:02 pm
CQ writes:

Quote:
"The main problem with the abortion debate, IMO, is the disagreement as to when life begins. I think both extremes are wrong. For example, I don't think a well developed fetus is just a "clump of cells"; but I also don't believe that a freshly joined egg and sperm cell is a human being either. "

Neither does Roe v Wade in which the language is exquisitely crafted. The intent then was clearly that the state has little interest in the fetus in the first trimester, increased interest in the second trimester, and a lot of interest in the third trimester. It was intended to be a legal means for a woman to reasonably terminate an unwanted pregnancy, but it was never intended as a license to kill an unborn child by any means at any time for any reason.

Except for a few vocal fanatics, I don't know anyone who wants to see Roe V Wade overturned and I do not believe that will happen. Many, however, myself included, would like to return to the original intent.
0 Replies