Would You Consider This Art?

Portal Star

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:43 am
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Portal Star, After reading your statement that in producing even the most representational painting one is making something very different from the actual object, I realize I must qualify my statement above that I do not feel artistically gratified by "copying" a natural scene. I do think that a really effective still life or landscape painter does not merely mimic his object; he is creating something new, perhaps the poetic feeling the object evokes in him. In other words representational art must always be a creation, never a copy. What is being actually represented is the artist's poetic feelings and aesthetic sensibilities not the objective image before him. When I draw people, I never use models. I've drawn enough models in the past to have a sense of how the body is organized, so now I just construct a figure or figures with the intent of dramatizing some aspect of human life. I do not care in the least if the figure is realistic, only if it works aesthetically and if it conveys my dramatic message.

I have seen "slavishly copied" work, but I think in many ways a painting can never be slavishly copied. A good painter choses what colors to put, what parts to emphasize, which to develop, what to leave in and out - regardless of the style they work in.

Even the most representational of pictures, for me, are not copied. For me they are still creations because of this process - even if you paint exactly what you see - it is going to be your translation of it. The way that you- see that specific shade of blue and put it down, the parts that interest you the artist more than others. So you have originality of framing - chosing what to include on your canvas - you have originality in your method of spacial and color depiction, and other things. It is not possible to paint every leaf or branch on a tree, every grain in a field, every constantly moving cloud in the sky. It would be impossible for a landscape painter to "slavishly copy" from nature because every step is a description of what they see - not what they see. A dot on the canvas is not the same as a leaf. The clouds and wind do not hold still for you. Carravagio's realism is drastically different from Raphael's, Sargent's, from Andrew Wyeth's, and from Veremeer's - but they are all depicting physical space with "representational" objects. With photographs and much of photo-realism, those problems have mostly already been solved and you are merely copying - the colors have already been translated into a pigment scale, the three dimensional objects have already become flat, the lighting and it's effects have been laid out for you.

In an abstract, you chose the color, you chose how you want to depict. But I think that even when you are doing abstract you are influenced by life. What we think and feel revolves around our biology and life experiences. No matter how abstract you get, you will never get away from having paintings in a physical world that are made and looked at with human senses (though Duchamp may try to get away from this.)

I don't think there is any kind of purism in art - to the point that we can get away from the physicality of our world, and I don't think you are automatically slavishly copying if you work in a literal representation mode - it is just one way to orient a painting.

[ oh, and before you take me too seriously - this doesn't mean all literal representations are good. Many of them are terrible. But they are not automatically bad. ]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:21 pm
truth
Portal Star, I can't disagree with anything you've said. But I will add, in response to your acknowledgement that not all representational works are good, just because no-one can effectively copy nature. Every painting is an abstraction to the degree that the artist selects from the objective scene before him. But the failures must include painters who TRY as their FIRST GOAL to copy, who do not acknowledge their artistic right and obligation to deviate anc improve (with respect to human aesthetic criteria) upon the scene before them.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:27 pm
Portal that was really well put.

I'd just add that there is a lot of bad abstraction out there too - with people thinking that slapping a few paints around and saying it is an abstract is enough- in actual fact they take more thought if anything as there are no guidelines but your own.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:33 pm
truth
Gasp! How true.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:31 pm
E-bay abstraction :wink:
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:59 am
what could be more 'abstract' than a blushing iceberg?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 04:39 pm
Why does everybody have a jumping hamster for a logo?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:11 pm
it's world wide hamster day.

have you hugged your hamster today?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:18 pm
truth
I just assumed it was Craven's April Fool's Day gag. I was wondering what he was going to do. I was so relieved that it wasn't something painful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:37 am
This article relates a bit to our topic - at least in regard to the question of what art is or isn't -

NYT article on minimalism
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:21 am
Could you copy and paste the article, Osso?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:34 am
just click on my link, Portal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:51 am
truth
Thanks for the article, Osso. Kimmelman is always good reading. I would not dare to deny the status of art to Minimalism, even though I'm left cold by most of it. It strikes me so often of a tasteless Norwegian meal of boiled whitefish. Art, like food, needs spices; it must be aesthetically "delicious" as well as conceptually interesting. I have often felt an urge to put less into my paintings, feeling that it would be aesthetically bold to say more with less. But it is difficult; insecurity often pushes me to put in more rather than to take out the superfluous. To work a piece until it works, as I like to describe the process. I guess I prefer an approach that lives up to a simple rule of "not too much; not too little," whatever that is. HOW MUCH to put would depend, I guess, entirely on what each painting is trying to say, on the aesthetic and poetic urge of the project at hand. But I do think that "too little" (i.e., minimalism) has the failings of "too much" (i.e., maximalism): both lack balance. There are always exceptions, of course, the artistic genius, can succeed at each end of the continuum.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 01:07 pm
ossobuco wrote:
just click on my link, Portal.

I'm not an NYT subscriber so I can't read it. I think I already used up my free week.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:17 pm
Free week, it was yesterday, I think, that is what triggered my response. OK, I will, later, but I don't know if the photos will show, and they're useful.

Look at NYTimes online in the last day or two on art. Does it say you have to pay?

Y'know, you can subscribe on line for free, unless I have missed something.. I pay more to get very targeted notices, whenever LAND or ITALY or SITE are mentioned, that costs me about $30. a year and is a deduction re my business.

It is true that it costs money after a week, something like 2.95., if you didn't happen to catch an article in time. I signed up for that a couple of years ago and have only used it once, as I also watch the money outflow, hah, carefully.

Not to whine, I just don't like to fill a2k with long cut and pastes. But, yeah, I'll do that. Nag me if I don't do it within the next day. Busy doing a bunch of stuff and posting in between.
0 Replies