Would You Consider This Art?

pueo

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:23 pm
i have no idea and just want to hear what our artists have to say.

red ice
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,245 • Replies: 74
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:28 pm
I don't like it
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:46 pm
I can see the art galleries tripping over each other to host his show.

"better buy thhem before thheyre all gone'
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:51 pm
Yikes, I hope that's non-toxic paint/dye he used.....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:54 pm
Oh, this is the goldfish-in-a-working-blender guy.

Hmm.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:06 pm
I'm not an artist, nor have I studied art, but this guy is whacked. If nothing else, he shouldn't be polluting the environment in this manner.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:16 pm
truth
It does nothing for me, but I don't respond to ANY environmental art. It may just be me.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:35 pm
my initial impression was a bit of what everyone has posted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:52 pm
Makes me think of seal pup slaughters...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:02 am
He could have done the same thing with photoshop.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:06 am
Well, it would be a trip to be tooling along in your icebreaker and see that thing floating around. The "paint" is just the stuff they slap on the meat in the deli case -- probably many, many times that much gets pissed into American toilets every month. Just so long as I don't have to pay for it...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:08 am
I think it's a better prank than art.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:11 am
A purely semantic question...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:49 am
High sea graffiti
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:33 am
I remember Hi-C.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:44 am
I agree with everyone's responses here but for different reasons. I don't see how anything can be labeled as 'art' when it involves virtually no creative effort on the part of the 'artist.' Ceili calls it 'high sea graffiti.' Actually, graffiti has more of a claim to being 'art.' It involves a person holding a tool -- spray paint can, piece of chalk, brush, whatever -- and creating something on a surface. That's a form of artistic expression. But directing a crew of workers to spray-paint a bit of nature is more in the way of group vandalism than artistic expression. The artist did nothing except come up with the idea and hire the people to do the work.

I'm surprised, though, that so far nobody on this thread has come up with a defense for this desecration. There are prople out there who would consider this an artistic expression.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:10 am
If it's 100% safe to the environment, I like it.

As to whether it's art or not, I'm not sure.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:25 am
I'm sure. It's art. Is it Art? Not really.

Art is a way of looking at things. It's something-that-is-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts. Take, for example, the Mona Lisa. Just some colors slapped onto a piece of canvas. Why should that one piece of canvas be any different than any other? Because the artist made it so.

Well... I'm an outcast anyway, because I think Christo (wrapped Riechtag, wrapped Pont Neuf, surrounded Islands, Running Fence) is a great artist.

I think Andrew Goldsworthy is a great artist. Look for the movie Rivers and Tides...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:40 am
I'm not sure if I care whether or not it is art, as long as I like it. Which I do. I've seen pics of the Riechtag piece, and I liked that as well.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:08 am
SealPoet wrote:
I'm sure. It's art. Is it Art? Not really.

Art is a way of looking at things. It's something-that-is-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts. Take, for example, the Mona Lisa. Just some colors slapped onto a piece of canvas. Why should that one piece of canvas be any different than any other? Because the artist made it so.

Well... I'm an outcast anyway, because I think Christo (wrapped Riechtag, wrapped Pont Neuf, surrounded Islands, Running Fence) is a great artist.

I think Andrew Goldsworthy is a great artist. Look for the movie Rivers and Tides...

I had a look at his site as i couldn't get the pictures to come up on the link. Not for me,

I agree about Andy Goldworthy - he is imaginative and creative with great skill and intellect and his images are very beautiful

Soul of a tree:

http://cgee.hamline.edu/see/goldsworthy/gold_treesoul.jpg
0 Replies