I want to know if "Could u reach that complex guy?"is right or wrong

jamyl

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:45 pm
A friend wanted to know if I were able to contact a client and he used that,so I want to know if that's gramatically correct.thank you Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 605 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by jamyl
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 04:50 pm
@jamyl,
It's right if he really is
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:02 pm
@jamyl,
A friend wanted to know if I were was able to contact a client ...
dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:37 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
if I were was able
Brings up an interesting q, JTT. "Were" seems to ask merely if I possessed the capability whereas ""was" asks whether I actually did so

However Jam is asking whether "Could u reach that complex guy?" is right or wrong
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 08:17 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Brings up an interesting q, JTT. "Were" seems to ask merely if I possessed the capability whereas ""was" asks whether I actually did so

A friend wanted to know if I were able to contact a client and he used "Could u reach that complex guy?", so I want to know if that's grammatically correct.

I believe, as I see the situation, that 'were' is not semantically or grammatically possible here, Dale. This is not a hypothetical situation. It describes, again, as I see it, a real situation. Note the "friend wanted to know" & also "and he used ... ".
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 08:51 am
What does "complex" mean?

Is it the name of a company? Or is this person of a complexing personality?

Asking, "Could you reach that complex guy" is grammatically correct but probably not proper for the office.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:07 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
Asking, "Could you reach that complex guy" is grammatically correct but probably not proper for the office.

Shouldn't you understand what is meant before you deem this "probably not proper for the office", Punkey?

It's perfectly fine for the office or for Congress or Parliament or anywhere. For SWE it may well be an idea to consider some other form.

Listen to how people talk at the office. In many situations it's highly informal.
0 Replies