Put Your Money Where Their Mouths Are.

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:40 am
Do you contribute to political causes? If so do you send the money directly to a candidate or an office holder or do you send it to their political party? I'm looking for participation here from our worldwide community, so chime in ya'll.

Do you ante up?

Oh yes. What's your motivation?
What do you get out of it if you do?

Joe Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 747 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:46 am
I have a great system. I loan them some out of each check, and they pay me back once a year. Works out pretty good. Now if they would just pay interest on it.

As for out-of-pocket donations....Nope. Don't do it. Maybe if I needed the tax write off. Those are tax-deductable, aren't they?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:52 am
Deductibility must vary around the world. In the US, you can check the box for a Federal Election Fund that goes to qualifying candidates. (If they accept the money there are limits on how much of their own money or money they have raised they can spend and there's differing percentages for the primary season vs the actual election time, that is the time after the candidate has actually been nominated, and--- never mind it's seems incredibly complicated.)

But, yes, contributions are deductible/..... (right?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 05:36 am
Let's see, give money to politicians in order for them to get elected; then, the office holders give staggering tax breaks to people who already make more over their lunch hour than i do in a year, fund bloated defense contractors whose antics make armed robbers look like pathetic children, pay for federal agents who want to pry into my life without my knowledge in the interest of "national security" (had a border agent continually insist to me once that i look "arabic," and when i pointed out that precious few arabs have green eyes, he said i could do that with contacts . . . worn under these glasses, huh? cursing him roundly in idiomatic American convinced him, though); and finally, finance the "fact finding" trips which allow them to jet off to exotic foreign locations for publicly funded vacations--i think i'll pass.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 06:36 am
I'm donating this year in honor of ABB--Anybody But Bush.

Not to derail the thread, but check out:

http://www.fundrace.org/
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:30 am
Hey, this is fun noddy! I can find all my rich neighbors who are wackos like me.

Razz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:38 am
Joe Nation--

I'm the only contributor in my zip code--to either party.

Money makes the mare go--but some people won't place their bets.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
I did 90210 and got some interesting results...
0 Replies