Not sure the usages are correct or not

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 02:52 am

Quote:
I agree with you that keeping low key is a good tactic in the circumstances that are both fragile and vulnerable.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:59 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Quote:
I agree with you that keeping low key is a good tactic in the circumstances that are both fragile and vulnerable.

"in circumstances that are" Don't need an article there.

For conciseness, you might say, "...in fragile and vulnerable circumstances."

Even better, since "fragile" and "vulnerable" are so similar in meaning, I would take one of them out.

There's another problem, though. Are the circumstances fragile and vulnerable or is the person? I think it would be best written, "in circumstances in which you are fragile and vulnerable."

My final edit would be, "in circumstances in which you are vulnerable."

If I were to write it in my own words, I would simply say, "when you are vulnerable." That's about as concise as I can make it.
oristarA

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:04 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

oristarA wrote:

Quote:

"in circumstances that are" Don't need an article there.

For conciseness, you might say, "...in fragile and vulnerable circumstances."

Even better, since "fragile" and "vulnerable" are so similar in meaning, I would take one of them out.

There's another problem, though. Are the circumstances fragile and vulnerable or is the person? I think it would be best written, "in circumstances in which you are fragile and vulnerable."

My final edit would be, "in circumstances in which you are vulnerable."

If I were to write it in my own words, I would simply say, "when you are vulnerable." That's about as concise as I can make it.

Cool.
Thank you.
The circumstances, like the conditions of China, where human rights are quite poor, are fragile and vulnerable.

Fragile: objective settings; vulnerable: subjective feelings.
FBM

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:56 am
@oristarA,
Gotcha. It's hard to be sure without context. Wink
0 Replies

Doubtful

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:06 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
The circumstances, like the conditions of China, where human rights are quite poor, are fragile and vulnerable.

I still think the people are vulnerable, not the circumstances. The circumstances would be vulnerable if they could be easily changed.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:59 am
Ori!! you know we need the content to give you the best answer . . .

I suggest:

In these fragile and vulnerable circumstances, I agree with you that keeping a low key is the best tactic.

oristarA

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 12:28 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Ori!! you know we need the content to give you the best answer . . .

I suggest:

In these fragile and vulnerable circumstances, I agree with you that keeping a low key is the best tactic.

I like this one.
Thanks.
0 Replies