COLIN POWELL: THERE IS NO THERE, THERE

Titus

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:45 pm
Outgunned, undermined, and frequently humiliated, Powell is expected to step down next January whether or not Bush wins a second term.

But Powell has only himself to blame.

http://www.prospect.org/print/V15/4/steinberger-m.html

How did it all go so wrong for Powell? In part, he has fallen victim to the wrath of Dick Cheney; having soured on Powell since their days in the first Bush administration, and having witnessed firsthand Powell's bureaucratic skills (he is one of the all-time great Washington operators), the vice president set out to kneecap him this time around, usurping his authority, filling key positions with officials hostile to Powell, and otherwise maneuvering to thwart his influence. Powell has had problems, too, with other key administration figures, not least Bush himself; they have little personal chemistry and see the world through very different lenses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 566 • Replies: 3
No top replies

revel

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:39 am
I find the whole article disturbing. I don't really believe that Powell has no core ideas other than serving his country and ambition. He just don't come off that way when he talks. I am just baffled by colin Powell. Maybe when he resigns he will tell the world how and why it really was. Even if he does write a book. People act like people can't write books anymore or everything they say is lies.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:02 am
I wish he would resign now. I wish he had resigned a year ago when I believe he knew most of his UN speech was a tissue of half-truths. I thought his integrity would save him, but then I remembered that Powell is mostly just the good soldier, doing what is he told to do, and when he is told to shut up and sit down, he already knows one thing, where the chair is.

Joe
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:44 am
Joe:

Truth has never been Powell's metier.

Remember his testimony regarding the My Lai Massacre?

The web of lies he weaved.
0 Replies