DESPITE WARNINGS, BUSH DIDN'T SEE TERRORISM AS URGENT

Titus

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:54 pm
Bush's former counterterrorism chief, Richard A. Clarke, testified Wednesday that the administration did not consider terrorism an urgent priority before the September 11, 2001 attacks, despite his repeated warnings about Osama bin Laden's terror network.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/24/911.commission/index.html

Clarke began his testimony with an apology to loved ones of those roughly 3,000 people killed in the attacks on airliners, the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

"Your government failed you, and I failed you," he said. "We tried hard, but that doesn't matter because we failed you. And for that failure, I would ask, once all the facts are out, for your understanding and for your forgiveness."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,971 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:09 pm
Titus- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

By the way, the reason that your title looks funny is because you can't format the titles. What you see is what you get!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:20 pm
Yes, welcome aboard Titus!

Just remember that commondreams doesn't count houh.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:23 pm
Hi Phoenix:

Thx. I deleted the bolding. Looks better I think. :-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:25 pm
Titus- I think you've got it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Ok, ok, i give in . . . what does houh mean?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:32 pm
Like everything in Washington, things got bogged down in bureaucracy but Clarke states the the Bush Admin. was working on an aggressive game plan right away.

Quote:
JIM ANGLE: You're saying that the Bush administration did not stop anything that the Clinton administration was doing while it was making these decisions, and by the end of the summer had increased money for covert action five-fold. Is that correct?

CLARKE: All of that's correct.

QUESTION: Had the Clinton administration in any of its work on this issue, in any of the findings or anything else, prepared for a call for the use of ground forces, special operations forces in any way? What did the Bush administration do with that if they had?

CLARKE: There was never a plan in the Clinton administration to use ground forces. The military was asked at a couple of points in the Clinton administration to think about it. Um, and they always came back and said it was not a good idea. There was never a plan to do that.

(Break in briefing details as reporters and Clarke go back and forth on how to source quotes from this backgrounder.)

CLARKE: You got it. That's right.

CLARKE: Well, it was gonna go into effect in October, which was the next budget year, so it was a month away.

QUESTION: That actually got into the intelligence budget?

CLARKE: Yes it did.

QUESTION: Just to clarify, did that come up in April or later?

CLARKE: No, it came up in April and it was approved in principle and then went through the summer. And you know, the other thing to bear in mind is the shift from the rollback strategy to the elimination strategy. When President Bush told us in March to stop swatting at flies and just solve this problem, then that was the strategic direction that changed the NSPD from one of rollback to one of elimination.

QUESTION: Well can you clarify something? I've been told that he gave that direction at the end of May. Is that not correct?

CLARKE: No, it was March.

Source
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Ok, ok, i give in . . . what does houh mean?

Give me break Set. My keyboard was dying and the top row wasn't working...

"though"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:45 pm
No problem, McG, i really thought you would come back to correct that, and when you didn't, i genuinely thought i was missing something. Now, the smartassed post i made in the other thread was made in the full knowledge that you had made a typo . . .
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:50 pm
I bought a new keyboard in January and the damn thing still sticks causing frequent typos. Who said, 'to err is to be human?' LOL!!!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:11 pm
Tite!

Stick around, dude.

That other place reeks.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:20 pm
Hey Diddie:

I think "that other place" is heaving its last breath. Good riddance to it.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:21 pm
Brand X - I was pleasantly surprised to see these comments of Clark's brought up on one of the major network newscasts tonight. (I forget which.) They aired the audio, displayed the text in question, and pointed out the discrepancy between what he said then as compared with what he wrote in his book and testified to yesterday. Seemed a fairly even-handed piece of journalism.

I just wonder how many people are going to ignore his earlier statements and the obvious questions they raise about his new version simply because they prefer the new version.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:31 am
Setanta wrote:
No problem, McG, i really thought you would come back to correct that, and when you didn't, i genuinely thought i was missing something. Now, the smartassed post i made in the other thread was made in the full knowledge that you had made a typo . . .

you know the reason I didn't change it? Your comment would have made no sense if I did
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:35 am
How very thoughtful of you, McG . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:58 am
Scrat wrote:
Brand X - I was pleasantly surprised to see these comments of Clark's brought up on one of the major network newscasts tonight. (I forget which.) They aired the audio, displayed the text in question, and pointed out the discrepancy between what he said then as compared with what he wrote in his book and testified to yesterday. Seemed a fairly even-handed piece of journalism.

I just wonder how many people are going to ignore his earlier statements and the obvious questions they raise about his new version simply because they prefer the new version.

Didn't you guys even bother to watch the hearings?!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:01 am
Some of us have jobs blatham.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:08 am
Quote:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2097750/
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:16 am
RICHARD CLARKE EITHER IS .. OR WAS .. A LIAR

The proceedings of the committee to elect John Kerry President continued yesterday, this time with walking contradiction Richard Clarke testifying. This is the guy that wrote the book blaming 9/11 on President Bush and praising Bill Clinton's 8 years of inaction on terrorism as somehow better. What an absolute crock...perhaps he's been hired to revise the Clinton legacy because the facts just aren't on this guy's side.

Surprisingly, this egomaniac's head actually fit through the door of the hearing room. Clarke kicked off his testimony with an apology to "the loved ones of the victims of 9/11....your government failed you. Those entrusted with protecting you failed you and I failed you." His statement should have more truthfully been "to the loved ones of the victims of 9/11...the Clinton administration failed you. Prior to the slaughter of your loved ones on 9/11 by Islamic terrorists, Bill Clinton turned down the direct handover of Osama Bin Laden on numerous occasions. The Clinton administration refused to allow the CIA to kill Bin Laden, with only capture as the stated policy. Those entrusted with protecting you, including myself, were abject failures who viewed terrorism as a law enforcement problem. And don't forget to buy my book."

Well ... let's get to the rest of Clarke's testimony. We can basically wrap it up this way. Clarke told the commission, as he told America in his book, that the Bush administration did virtually nothing to address the threat of Al Qaeda until the attacks of 9/11. Nothing. He said that Bush was virtually unprepared to act as though it's a major problem.

Uh oh. Small problem. The White House was a few steps ahead of Clarke yesterday ... as was Fox News Channel. Jim Angle is a reporter for Fox. As the news about Clarke's book started to hit Angle remembered a briefing he received from a White House spokesman in August of 2002. That briefing was for background. That means that the seven reporters on the telephone conference call could not identify who their source was .. .only what their source said. Angle remembered that the person who delivered that briefing was ... Richard Clarke.

As luck would have it, Angle had a recording of that briefing. He listened to it and found that what Clarke was saying then was markedly different from what Clarke was saying now. So Angle went to the White House to seek permission to release a transcript of that 2002 briefing, and to identify Richard Clarke as the source. The White House, after conferring with the National Security Council, agreed.

So what did Clarke have to say in the 2002 briefing?

Let's start with a statement Clarke made to the 9/11 Commission yesterday. Clarke told the commissioners that early on in the Bush administration he told the president: " ... and I said, well, you know, we've had this strategy ready ... ahh ... since before you were inaugurated. I showed it to you. You have the paperwork. We can have a meeting on the strategy anytime you want."

So .. there's Clarke telling the media and the commissioners yesterday that he had presented paperwork to Bush on a strategy for dealing with Al Qaeda and was ready to discuss it. But what did he say to Jim Angle in 2002? This: "I think the overall point is, there was no plan on Al Qaeda that was passed from the Clinton administration to the Bush Administration."

Lying then? Or lying now?

And what about this "Bush did virtually nothing" claim?

In the 2002 background briefing Clarke said: "When President Bush told us in March to stop swatting at flies and just solve this problem, then that was the strategic direction that triggered the NSPD (National Security Presidential Directive) from one of roll back to one of elimination." "NSPD" is National Security Presidential Directive. So Clark was telling reporters in August of 2002 that the directive from the president in March of 2001 was to stop swatting at flies ... to eliminate Al Qaeda. This is what calls doing virtually nothing?

In the 2002 briefing Clarke also told Angle and the rest of the reporters that Bush had ordered an increase in CIA resources by five times .. .including funding for covert actions against Al Qaeda. Again ... doing virtually nothing?

Here's the kicker. It comes from the transcript of the 2002 Clarke briefing ... near the end.

Jim Angle: "So, just to finish up if we could then, so what you're saying is that there was no -- one, there was no plan; two, there was no delay; and that actually the first changes since October of '98 were made in the months just after the administration came into office?

Richard Clarke: "You got it. That's right.

So .. while the terrorist threat was increasing Clinton made no changes in his plan of action against terrorism during the last two years of his presidency, but Bush got on the stick immediately. That is what Clarke is now describing as "doing virtually nothing."

Obviously Clarke is lying. We just have to figure out which statements are the lies? Was he lying in 2002 when he was working in the Bush White House? Or is he lying now when he's trying to sell a book?

Figure it out.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:59 am
McG

For goodness sakes...do some study rather than just swallowing what gets written on some partisan website. Find a transcipt of the hearings. Find a transcript of an interview with Clark.
0 Replies