mainly responsible for

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:52 am
Mary is mainly responsible for the school.

What is this sentence saying? That Mary's main activity is responsibility for the school or that the main person responsible for the school is Mary? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 935 • Replies: 17
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 08:50 am
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:

Mary is mainly responsible for the school.

What is this sentence saying? That Mary's main activity is responsibility for the school or that the main person responsible for the school is Mary? Thanks.

The main person responsible for the school is Mary.

Joe(Anything else?)Nation
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 10:54 am
@Doubtful,
It could mean either, depending on context.

Mary is mainly responsible for the school, but she is also responsible for the church.

Mary is mainly responsible for the school, but John shares some of the work.

Doubtful

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:51 am
@contrex,
If I want to get rid of the ambiguity, does the following help:

Mainly Mary is responsible for the school. (I want to say that Mary is the main person in charge of the school).

Thank you both for the reply.
contrex

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:56 am
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:
I want to say that Mary is the main person in charge of the school.

Why don't you say that, then? Or say Mary is head of the school, or that she is the principal?

roger

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 11:57 am
@Doubtful,
I would simply say "Mary is in charge of the school". You don't have to wonder is she is responsible for it's creation, or if she caused it to burn to the ground.
0 Replies

Doubtful

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:00 pm
@contrex,
Because I am using that sentence to represent a very long sentence full of technical terms, so I want to keep the sentence as simple and direct as possible.

@Roger: I can't use "in charge of." The sentence talks about the main bacterial strains responsible for the fermentation of X into Y.
roger

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:07 pm
@Doubtful,
Thank you. Oddly, I did not pick up on that or how technical the terms the terms were.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:35 pm
@Doubtful,
Quote:
@Roger: I can't use "in charge of." The sentence talks about the main bacterial strains responsible for the fermentation of X into Y.

How does that preclude the use of "in charge of," exactly?
Doubtful

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
So I can say bacteria are in charge of something? I thought only people could be in charge of things.

I have just searched "bacteria in charge of" in the gov, edu and uk domains and not a single instance was found.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 01:25 pm
Try this:
Give us the actual context of the sentence you are trying to write. The confusion is arising out of your use of "Mary" (a person) to write about what we now know is a bacterium. (not a person)

Give us the context, we'll have another go at it.
Joe(Plainly mainly lamely doesn't do it)Nation
Doubtful

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 01:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Here you go:

Although the classification of acetic bacteria is very problematic, it is estimated that mainly 20 strains of the species A, B, C, D, E and F are responsible for submerged acetification in the food industry.
contrex

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 02:43 pm
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:

Although the classification of acetic bacteria is very problematic, it is estimated that mainly 20 strains of the species A, B, C, D, E and F are responsible for submerged acetification in the food industry.

Why can't you leave it as it is?
Doubtful

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 03:11 pm
@contrex,
If it is good now it will stay as it is. I was not sure about where to insert the adverb "mainly." I was afraid that if I put it before "responsible," that the sentence would state that the main use of those strains is submerged acetification, which is not the intended meaning. I only realized I could put the adverb before "2o strains" when I wrote the simpler version of the sentence (Mary is responsible for the school).
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 03:17 pm
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:

I only realized I could put the adverb before "2o strains" when I wrote the simpler version of the sentence (Mary is responsible for the school).

It is an inept surrogate.
0 Replies

Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 08:14 am
@Doubtful,

Quote:

1) Although the classification of acetic bacteria is very problematic, it is estimated that twenty strains of the species A, B, C, D, E and F are mainly responsible for submerged acetification in the food industry.

You might need more data. Are the twenty strains of A,B,C,D,F a minority of the total strains??

2) Although the classification of acetic bacteria is very problematic, it is estimated that just twenty of the __X____strains of the species A, B, C, D, E and F are mainly responsible for submerged acetification in the food industry.

3) Although the classification of acetic bacteria is very problematic, it is estimated that twenty strains of the species A, B, C, D, E and F are primarily responsible for submerged acetification in the food industry.

I never use numbers (1,2,3...20) when a word (one, two, three, ...twenty) is available. I think I was either taught that or decided it on my own.

Do you see the difference between examples one and two?

I think 'primarily' is a better word here than 'mainly'.

Joe(My Most Humble Opinion)Nation
contrex

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 08:36 am
@Doubtful,
Doubtful wrote:
"2o strains"

The letter O and the figure 0 (zero) are not interchangeable. A lower case letter o is especially wrong.
0 Replies

Doubtful

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 12:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thanks very much, Joe. Number 3 is perfect, "3) Although the classification of acetic bacteria is very problematic, it is estimated that twenty strains of the species A, B, C, D, E and F are primarily responsible for submerged acetification in the food industry."

Contrex, that is supposed to be a zero, not an "o" or "O." I copied/pasted from MS Word.
0 Replies