Does "the 747" refer to "the 747 amino acids"?

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:31 am

Context:
“Next, we needed to identify precisely how resveratrol presses on SIRT1’s accelerator,” said Sinclair. The team tested approximately 2,000 mutants of the SIRT1 gene, eventually identifying one mutant that completely blocked resveratrol’s effect. The particular mutation resulted in the substitution of a single amino acid residue, out of the 747 that make up SIRT1. The researchers also tested hundreds of other molecules from the Sirtris library, many of which are far more powerful than resveratrol, against this mutant SIRT1. All failed to activate it.

More:
http://hms.harvard.edu/news/new-study-validates-longevity-pathway-3-7-13
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 978 • Replies: 19

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 09:32 am
Yes.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 10:15 am
Thank you.

I wonder whether JPB would like to come here to further confirm.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 01:14 pm
@oristarA,
HA!

I looked up SIRT1 (sirtuin [silent mating type information regulation 2 homolog] 1) and found that it is a protein, and inferred from that that "747" does refer to the amino acids that it consists of.

What made it ambiguous to me was the reference to "residue," leading me to think that SIRT1 is made up of 747 amino acid residues.
Miller

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 01:43 pm
Quote:
. The particular mutation resulted in the substitution of a single amino acid residue, out of the 747 that make up SIRT1.

The use of the word "residue" is really not needed, as the author could have simply said "....of a single amino acid ".

The publication cited isn't really a Journal as we biochemists know them.
Thus sloppy wordage probably is abundant.
oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

HA!

I looked up SIRT1 (sirtuin [silent mating type information regulation 2 homolog] 1) and found that it is a protein, and inferred from that that "747" does refer to the amino acids that it consists of.

What made it ambiguous to me was the reference to "residue," leading me to think that SIRT1 is made up of 747 amino acid residues.

Yeah, that's what misled me.

PS. You've given us "homolog] 1". Any misspelling there?
oristarA

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:10 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:
. The particular mutation resulted in the substitution of a single amino acid residue, out of the 747 that make up SIRT1.

The use of the word "residue" is really not needed, as the author could have simply said "....of a single amino acid ".

The publication cited isn't really a Journal as we biochemists know them.
Thus sloppy wordage probably is abundant.

Good catch.
Thank you.
Thank you both.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 10:41 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

PS. You've given us "homolog] 1". Any misspelling there?

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, it's a variant of homologue. Wikipedia uses it in their article about Sirtuin 1.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 05:35 pm
@Miller,
In your opinion, would the sirtuins lessen apoptosis and/or senesence? If yes, would that necessarily be a good thing?
Miller

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 07:22 pm
@Foofie,
The slowing of the process of apoptosis will also result in a slowing of the rate at which rogue cancer cells are destroyed. This may not be a good thing, especially for patients receiving any form of chemotherapy.

Foofie

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:19 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

The slowing of the process of apoptosis will also result in a slowing of the rate at which rogue cancer cells are destroyed. This may not be a good thing, especially for patients receiving any form of chemotherapy.

I thought that/read that also. Especially, perhaps, those slow growing cancer cells in a prostate?

As I've read there are a bunch of theories on aging, and nothing has been proven effective for humans, even though some worms and mice benefit from one protocol or another. Obviously there are those that are placing a bet on calorie restriction, and a calorie restriction mimetic would make a lot of money for some company. However, my mitochondria are just not what they used to be. I blame them.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:32 pm
@Foofie,
Nice try, you "two". We know that you're the same person. Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 07:48 am

FOOFIE: I agree and I'd question the work on yeast cells. I'm surprised Sinclair is still around.
Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:35 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

FOOFIE: I agree and I'd question the work on yeast cells. I'm surprised Sinclair is still around.

Thank you for your educated opinion.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 11:45 am
@Foofie,
Quote:

You're not foolin' Setanta, Foofie & Miller, or should I say Foofie/Miller? Smile
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:01 pm
@JTT,
Millfoo?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:15 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Miller wrote:

You are very welcome.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 12:49 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

You're not foolin' Setanta, Foofie & Miller, or should I say Foofie/Miller? Smile

Isn't there a current "conspiracy theory" thread that the above should be posted on? It might dovetail nicely with the thread's topic of FDR not knowing about the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbor. Unless of course you want to claim that I knew of the attack, even though I wasn't born yet.
JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 05:47 pm
@Foofie,
If Miller knew then you knew. You're not trying to suggest that Setanta, thee Setanta is mistaken, are you?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 06:01 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

JTT wrote:

Quote:

Isn't there a current "conspiracy theory" thread ...

Possibly the one on Shirley Temple...
0 Replies