What does "killer experiment" mean? "Live or Die experiment"?

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 09:52 pm

Context:
Although these experiments occurred in a test tube, once the researchers identified the precise location of the accelerator pedal on SIRT1—and how to break it—they could test their ideas in a cell. They replaced the normal SIRT1 gene in muscle and skin cells with the accelerator-dead mutant. Now they could test precisely whether resveratrol and the drugs in development work by tweaking SIRT1 (in which case they would not work) or one of the thousands of other proteins in a cell (in which they would work). While resveratrol and the drugs tested revved up mitochondria in normal cells (an effect caused activating by SIRT1), the mutant cells were completely immune.

“This was the killer experiment,” said Sinclair. “There is no rational alternative explanation other than resveratrol directly activates SIRT1 in cells. Now that we know the exact location on SIRT1 where and how resveratrol works, we can engineer even better molecules that more precisely and effectively trigger the effects of resveratrol.”

More:
http://hms.harvard.edu/news/new-study-validates-longevity-pathway-3-7-13
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,002 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 09:56 pm
@oristarA,
That is an odd usage of the word "killer".

I read it as the "final experiment" or the "end all experiment". It was the experiment that ended it all (where "it all" means "the debate").

But this doesn't seem like typical English usage, at least to me.
hingehead
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 09:57 pm
@oristarA,
Killer, in this context, means very, very good. Author is saying this experiment offers definitive proof of the experimenter's thesis
hingehead

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 10:14 pm
@maxdancona,
It's idiomatic usage - quite common.

As in "That was a killer guitar solo!"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 10:59 pm
@hingehead,
Right. Killer is often used to describe iphone apps and other software. A killer app might be enough to justify the purchase of the phone.

I suppose I will have to live with the word "app" to describe an application. I don't have to like it.
0 Replies