Drug stops osteoporosis in its tracks.

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:22 am
EDMONTON - At 75, Anna Harder is a testament to active living and to a drug that a 10-year international study has shown can stop osteoporosis in its tracks.

The study published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine found that post-menopausal woman who take Fosamax, known generically as alendronate sodium, have stronger bones and fewer fractures, and are less likely to lose height.

The study, funded by Merck & Co., the manufacturer of Fosamax, also showed the drug was well-tolerated.

It comes as good news to post-menopausal women who are looking for alternatives to hormone-replacement therapy and are at higher risk of bone loss from osteoporosis. The condition affects one in four women and one in eight men over the age of 50 and causes significant loss of independence in older people........
The rest of the story.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:18 pm
I know a number of people who take Fosamax. I always wondered why they had to sit or stand, and not lie down for 30 min after they take the drug. Now I know:

Quote:
Common Side Effects: Decreased fracture risk, improved bone density.

Possible Side Effects: Irritation or ulceration of the esophagus (very unlikely if patient is able to stand or sit upright for at least 30 minutes after taking the medication.

Information on Fosamax
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:23 pm
Thanks for the new info, Ceili.
0 Replies