Does "mouthful" here mean "meaningful word"?

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 10:27 am

Context:

This view explains altruism at the individual level in nature, especially in kinship relationships: when an individual sacrifices its own life to protect the lives of kin, it is acting in the interest of its own genes. Some people find this metaphor entirely clear, while others find it confusing, misleading or simply redundant to ascribe mental attributes to something that is mindless. For example, Andrew Brown has written:

"Selfish", when applied to genes, doesn't mean "selfish" at all. It means, instead, an extremely important quality for which there is no good word in the English language: "the quality of being copied by a Darwinian selection process." This is a complicated mouthful. There ought to be a better, shorter word—but "selfish" isn't it.[2]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 440 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
engineer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 10:54 am
@oristarA,
"Mouthful" means "a lot to say". The author is saying that it would be nice if there were a single word or phrase that expressed the entire meaning of the Darwinian selection process but if there is, "selfish" is not the correct word.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 11:06 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
This is a complicated mouthful.
No Ori I think not. What I think he means, is that the concept he's describing is so complex and abstract that his own short description might not be adequate
0 Replies

PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:58 pm
an extremely important quality for which there is no good word in the English language: "the quality of being copied by a Darwinian selection process."

This (the quoted phrase above) is a complicated mouthful.
0 Replies