Canadian Sales Tax Rant

caprice

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:56 am
Several years back (my memory being what it is, I don't recall the exact year, but at least 12) the Canadian government, in its infinite wisdom (dripping sarcasm), introduced a federal sales tax known as the Goods and Services Tax (GST for short) of 7% on all goods and services. There are exemptions to the tax, mainly items considered necessities of life, such as most foods, medications, etc. You get the picture I'm sure. Well, there is one group of items that the government deems to be non-essential. And what is that you may ask? Feminine hygiene products. Yes, in Canada you can buy a frozen pizza, or a package of your favourite coffee without having to pay the GST for it, but if you buy tampons it's a different matter! Those are luxury items according to our illustrious government.

Now, all you women out there...are you thinking luxury when you buy tampons or pads?

From what I've seen online, Australian women also have to put up with this crap.

There is some hope for Canadian women. Yet another female politician is attempting to get this tax dropped.

http://www.total.net/~judywl/

[size=7]Go Judy!![/size]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 920 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Jer

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:47 am
Oh the horror...
Caprice,

I believe I pay GST on my condoms too.

But let's think about this for a minute...How many tampons do you require in a month? I don't know...but I'd guess that it's somewhere between 5-20?

From doing a quick search online I discovered that for 20 tampons you're going to pay somewhere between $4-$8...but because it's late and I want my calculations to be easy I'm going to say that it costs $10.00 for 20 tampons.

So you buy 20 tampons/month @ $10. That's $120/year on tampons. Multiply that $120 by .07 (7% GST) and you've got $8.40/year.

Over the course of your lifetime I'm guessing you would need tampons for about 40 years? - maybe 50?

That would mean throughout you're entire lifetime you would spend between $336-$420 on tax for your tampons.

Remember that I used inflated numbers for the equation...it's more likely between $100-$200/lifetime expenditure on GST on tampons.

Is that really worth kicking and screaming about? Wink

If you want to talk about ridiculous amounts of tax just work out how much the gvmt's take is on every one of my packs of cigs.

Have a good night.

-Jer-
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:23 am
Age and maturity might lend you some perspective, Jer. It is likely less about the money than it is about the principle involved. A woman has every right to consider these items a necessity as opposed to a luxury. Alexandre de Tocqueville wrote in Democracy in America that it is not great issues which cause men to rebel, rather, it is the little things. In the case of the United States, a great deal of it had to do with a penny tax on a sheet of paper used for an official document.

The point is not the actual cost--and by the way, who wouldn't want that extra few hundred dollars?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:48 am
I'm gonna add to the rant too, apparently toothpaste falls into the same catagory. It pisses me off too. I mean, a box of doughnuts is tax free????
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
It also occurred to me, later, that given that these items are not considered necessities, they likely are not exempted from provincial sales taxes, either. In Ontario, that's 8%. Total tax is, therefore, 15%, meaning the cost is more than twic what Jer calculated. I was also amused to see his caluculation of how many tampons or sanitary napkins would be required in a month's time. I guess he's never been sufficiently chivalrous to swallow his pride and buy tampons or napkins for his sweetiepie. The thought doesn't bother me at all, and i've bought the large, "economy-size" package in the past, when asked to do so.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:56 am
Yer, a good man Set.

Good point on PST. We don't have it here in Alberta, yet. I think all the other provinces have it though and are either 7 - 8% on the total, cost and GST, so in most places an item is taxed an extra 15%.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
It sounds to me like you don't need to change the law, you need to get rid of it completely. Geesh!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
So, extrapolating from what's been said here, it looks like all "personal hygine products" aren't exempt? Is that accurate?

I'm not sure if they are here or not... Interestink.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:01 am
Couldn't you go see a doctor and get a prescription for sanitary products?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:08 am
Lets see if I can paint you a picture. A prescription would be unneccessary becasue, you see, it's not a medical condition, a disease........ Just a fact of life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:16 am
15% checking in here.
Evil or Very Mad

the female plumbing supplies can certainly add up - sometimes 3 or 4 different products - and not necessarily 12 times a year - remember it's a freakin' lunar cycle. Sooo, 13 times a year - about $25 a cycle - 35 years so far for me x 15% = $1706.25 taxes. That'd be a nice little vacation. Confused
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:44 pm
Re: Oh the horror...
Jer wrote:
Is that really worth kicking and screaming about? Wink

Typical male response. You can't POSSIBLY think that feminine hygiene products are a luxury! Besides, you're only counting tampons. There are pads and pany liners too. Your calculations give a too low figure.

[quote="Jer']If you want to talk about ridiculous amounts of tax just work out how much the gvmt's take is on every one of my packs of cigs.[/quote]

You'll get no sympathy from me on something that is not only a choice by you, but a health hazard that will likely cost taxpayers money in the end when you end up with a respiratory problem of one type or another down the road.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:46 pm
ehBeth wrote:
sometimes 3 or 4 different products - and not necessarily 12 times a year - remember it's a freakin' lunar cycle.

And without going into details, I use more products than most women. (Long story too.) I could save a bundle!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:51 pm
Just more reason's I am happy being male.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 03:27 pm
Setanta,

I understand the principle - I was being playful. That's why I led with the condoms, which certainly aren't a luxury either.

I have purchased female hygiene products for various girlfriends over the years, but generally it's just to get through a certain period and I always ask for explicit instructions.

But thanks for the assumption on whether or not I've ever been "chivalrous to swallow his pride and buy tampons or napkins for his sweetiepie."

Cheers,

-Jer-

edit: I said "year" and meant to say "years".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 05:26 pm
Well, Jer, your calculations of how much a woman would spend on these products lead me to believe that you knew precious little about the subject, because my immediate response was that the estimate was way too low.
0 Replies